Ranking the NNBE long term | The Boneyard

Ranking the NNBE long term

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought it would be worthwhile to rank the NNBE teams on potential.

1) Boise - best coach in the country, plays a fun offense and fun defense, and competes effectively for talent in both California and Texas. Has a national brand and is the only show in town in a third tier market.

2) Louisville - big athletic program with big budget. If the TV contract comes through, should be able to keep Charlie Strong. Will be the best team in the Big East-East and should have some major bowls in its future.

3) Rutgers - Location matters. New Jersey recruiting together with New York media market make Rutgers formidable. Flood seems a lot like Schiano but with about 40 more IQ points.

4) San Diego State - location matters. There is no reason for SDSU to have sucked as bad as it has for as long as it has. The school is located in one of the best cities in the country by virtually any measure. There is a mountain of talent in Southern California with only two other programs within 5 hours, one of whom recruits nationally. SDSU should have a Top 40 class every season. The only caveat is that Rocky Long is probably the wrong coach for this team. Long is a great mid-major coach and defensive innovator, but SDSU needs a coach that is a recruiter first, and doesn't even need to be that good a game coach. In other words, SDSU needs a Schiano. I think SDSU will blossom in the Big East.

5) Cincinnati - increasingly good brand and tremendous local talent base. Unlike some of the other programs on this list, I feel like coaches, players and fans of other programs really respect Cincinnati. Great stadium, although it is small. I like Jones, although I think he chokes in close games. Cincinnati has shown it can replace coaches seemlessly, and when was the last time Cincinnati outright sucked?

6) Houston - Tremendous local talent base and some positive history, including recently. The school plays a fun style on both sides too, which matters for recruits. They are building a new stadium which shows commitment to the program. Levine has some serious issues, but I expect the Houston brass to give him a very short leash. This school wants to compete at the highest level, and I expect them to move quickly to solve the HC situation once the TV money shows up.

7) UConn - despite a strong brand, good academics, and a second tier metro market with no pro competition, UConn is struggling. UConn has little history in football, has an OK local talent base, and Pasqualoni is terrible. I expect the Pasqualoni situation to be temporary though. With a new coach, UConn should be competitive quickly.

8) USF - great talent and surprisingly good fan support. Strong area recruiting. I don't think Holtz is a terrible coach, but he is not disciplined enough for Florida athletes and the team plays out of control and self-destructs (FWIW, do any of the Florida schools play under control?). 7 years in the Big East and some huge wins over that period have really helped the schools profile, but it feels like it is at a tipping point and could go either way. I think the large number of Florida schools competing at a high level, together with the fact that virtually every program in the counrty recruits Florida hard, makes it somewhat difficult for USF to stand out.

9) UCF - Same as USF for the most part. While O'Leary is a good, not great, coach, UCF knows they have to replace him within the next few years. I think this will be an attractive job for a guy like Cristobal, but it does introduce uncertainty.

10) Temple - Temple should not suck like they have historically. Philadelphia is a huge metro area without a football team, and Pennsylvania is a big state to have just Pitt and Penn State. PSU's probation will give Addazio a chance to grab "depth" kids that may have gone to Penn State in the past, and the DC metro area has a lot of talent and two crappy programs, Maryland and UVA, recruiting there. That said, Temple is Temple, on the north side of Philly. Addazio is a good, not great, coach that is unlikely to leave if they can pay him a little more.

11) SMU - good location and lots of money, but SMU has never been good historically unless they were cheating. I don't see the DFW metro area supporting top football programs at 2 high quality, private schools. I do like Jones as a coach.

12) Navy - hard to see a service academy being competitive long term in a major or semi-major conference. I do like the coach, and they have a large fan base.

13) Memphis - Tommy West got this program to mediocrity for a while, but there is no brand in football and they are competing for talent with Big 12, Big 10 and SEC schools. Commuter school with a dump of a stadium in a poor city. The only pros are that they do have the city and there is some corporate support.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Swap SDSU and SMU and you're close.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I agree for the most part. Since we are just talking football I would have Rutgers ahead of Louisville, Houston ahead of San Diego, and SMU in front of Temple.

There is no reason why UCONN can't be every bit as good as Cincinnati. We need to find our Brian Kelly/Butch Jones, Edsall was good but he wasn't that guy and P is Kragthorpe.

Reaction Score
San Diego State is nowhere near as high as you have it. It is in a market that barely cares about the Chargers and Padres and is not an institution (in the manner UConn is) where non-alum give a crap.

I think you have UConn too low, but with P there I understand that it gets harder and harder to see our relative strenghts. However, look at athletic revenue alone and there is no reason we should be as low as you have it.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
San Diego State is nowhere near as high as you have it. It is in a market that barely cares about the Chargers and Padres and is not an institution (in the manner UConn is) where non-alum give a crap.

I think you have UConn too low, but with P there I understand that it gets harder and harder to see our relative strenghts. However, look at athletic revenue alone and there is no reason we should be as low as you have it.

SDSU is closer to Central than it is to UCONN.

However, the talent base here is tremendous. SDSU has put a ridiculous number of players into the NFL for a program that has been as bad as its been.

I will say this BL, San Diego is really starting to care about SDSU basketball & if the football team won (big if) I am sure it would get much better support than you might imagine.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Not trying to go too far off subject, but San Diegoans give a ton of support to the Chargers. Plenty of shirts, flags, banners, car stickers, hats, etc all over the area and they draw good, vocal crowds for most games.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
UConn should be way higher if this is truly a "long-term" outlook. WAY HIGHER! At risk of sounding like a homer (because I am one), this is the only team for an entire state with the population of over 3.5 million people and monetary resources. We have successful programs in just about everything else, which means our brand name is strong. And our proximity to both NYC and Boston make us desirable to kids in those areas, which I think are very much underrated in terms of football recruits. No doubt in my mind that UConn should be much higher than you have them...

pj

Reaction Score
In the Big East, SDSU football will be on TV and will be big in San Diego. Some people just prefer college to pro sports, others like the cheaper tickets. It will build a fan base.

I agree that UConn should be a top program. The basketball program's rise illustrates how big football can be in state. We should be able to do better than Houston or Cincinnati. Not saying we will, but the ceiling is higher for us.

Reaction Score
Good points, but until the AD gets a Joe Paterno type coach (without the Sandusky scandal), I think FB will be an afterthought. I think with hockey going to the Hockey East (Hockey's version of the SEC), I think FB will take a back seat to basketball, hockey and yes soccer...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Good points, but until the AD gets a Joe Paterno type coach (without the Sandusky scandal), I think FB will be an afterthought. I think with hockey going to the Hockey East (Hockey's version of the SEC), I think FB will take a back seat to basketball, hockey and yes soccer...

An "afterthought" is not consistent with the amount of press that the football team has generated in the state. The fact that the Courant has one dedicated person to the football team, as well as some auxiliary support in the paper for it (Jacobs, Doyle), tells me it is anything but an afterthought.

I love soccer (more than any other sport, in fact), but there is no way in hell that UConn soccer or hockey will ever be bigger than UConn football. Period.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if this is longterm then memphis should be a lot higher. there is literally no where for them to go but up

Reaction Score
bahahahaha

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Not trying to go too far off subject, but San Diegoans give a ton of support to the Chargers. Plenty of shirts, flags, banners, car stickers, hats, etc all over the area and they draw good, vocal crowds for most games.

"Show me your Lightening BOLT"
"Kiss my Aztec line"

Bonus for people not from SD - who speaks these words of wisdom?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Some schools will have inherent advantages due to location, but college football more so than any other sport aside from the NFL, is dependent on having a good head coach.

Whoever strikes gold with their next hire will shoot into the Top 3.

Boise State is great right now, but hypothetically if the coach leaves and they hire a dud, where does that leave them for long term success? They play in a small market, their tradition is no longer than the past decade plus and they are essentially a glorified community college that's a partial member to the conference.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Some schools will have inherent advantages due to location, but college football more so than any other sport aside from the NFL, is dependent on having a good head coach.

Whoever strikes gold with their next hire will shoot into the Top 3.

Boise State is great right now, but hypothetically if the coach leaves and they hire a dud, where does that leave them for long term success? They play in a small market, their tradition is no longer than the past decade plus and they are essentially a glorified community college that's a partial member to the conference.

Dirk Koetter and Dan Hawkins both looked like geniuses at Boise too. At some point, you just have to acknowledge that the program has something going for it.

Peterson has turned down lots of jobs already. He had a shot at almost every Pac 12 job and passed, and was rumored to have turned down Ole Miss and Tennessee. Would he take Texas? What else is left above the jobs he has already declined?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dirk Koetter and Dan Hawkins both looked like geniuses at Boise too. At some point, you just have to acknowledge that the program has something going for it.

Peterson has turned down lots of jobs already. He had a shot at almost every Pac 12 job and passed, and was rumored to have turned down Ole Miss and Tennessee. Would he take Texas? What else is left above the jobs he has already declined?

Sometimes, liking where you live and work (and the 1.6 million per year he's receiving) is all a guy wants. He probably also has to feel like if he keeps winning the way he has been at Boise for a long period of time, he'll have buildings named after him and a statue by the library. The place has great crowds, a good brand name, and very good football. If I liked where I was, I wouldn't leave either. That fan base color-codes, for !

Stadium400.jpg

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I'm not trying to take anything away from Boise State. I would rank them #1 if I'm talking about current programs.

However, I don't think you can ignore the fact that they are very reliant on the current coach and their recent success. I don't know the specifics, but in addition to that, hasn't Boise State been admitting partial qualifiers to the program too?

Basically I'm just saying in the long run its tough for me to bet on a small school in Idaho over say the flagship university of New Jersey or a national long term like Louisville.

Reaction Score
A friend of mine, who is credible and has no partiality to BYU told me that Boise got their break taking BYU's castoffs that didn't get scholarships due to qualification. Since then they have diversified their recruiting and I am sure they have a few more selling points.

Peterson is like their third successful coach in a row. Either they are really lucky or they just have a smart AD. Peterson was a promotion from within FWIW.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A friend of mine, who is credible and has no partiality to BYU told me that Boise got their break taking BYU's castoffs that didn't get scholarships due to qualification. Since then they have diversified their recruiting and I am sure they have a few more selling points.

Peterson is like their third successful coach in a row. Either they are really lucky or they just have a smart AD. Peterson was a promotion from within FWIW.

You always, and I mean always, hear the reason for a school to come out of nowhere and be successful is that they took academically marginal students. As if USC, UCLA and Oregon's football teams are filled with great scholars.

Reaction Score
You always, and I mean always, hear the reason for a school to come out of nowhere and be successful is that they took academically marginal students. As if USC, UCLA and Oregon's football teams are filled with great scholars.

Of course, but if you think about it, if your are only the 52nd best school academically in your region, it's a good start up strategy. The schools in BCS conferences don't take partial qualifiers.

Boise State getting good in FB is such an interesting story. It's almost the equivalent of UHart getting big in football.

Reaction Score
The "partial qualifiers" issue would mean something to me if Boise State was getting 4 & 5 star guys from CA & TX. What makes BSU's rise remarkable is that it gets very few of those guys, if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom