Ranking the American Conference for 2015-2016 | The Boneyard

Ranking the American Conference for 2015-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Obviously people could pick up a late recruit, someone could leave or someone could reclassify but if everything stayed the same how do you rank the teams in conference for next year. I think this is a much improved league next year. Is it a dominant league? Of course not. But it was an extremely young league last year that did nothing out of league. That must improve this year, but I think it will. My rankings:

1. UConn (has the most talent in the league and maybe the deepest team. Key is how quickly team chemistry develops).
2. Cincy (returns every key player, gets their coach back and brings in a couple of freshman. I think a very underrated team. As always, can they score enough).
3. SMU (I still like them a lot and they could easily win the league, but I think some people are forgetting about how much they lose in terms of role players. Not as dominant inside. If Frazier returns, they could be the team to beat).
4. Memphis (if they solve their PG problems, I love their frontcourt, and remember how many new faces they had last year. Coach is always a concern).
5. Tulsa (brings everyone back and will be one of if not the oldest teams in the league. Still don't have enough shooters to be a consistent threat).
6. Temple (loses their starting backcourt which hurts them. They play a competitive schedule, and if they can get good guard play, I think they have a good shot at the tourney).
7. Houston (brought in some good players, and I like Sampson as a coach).
8. USF (Slowly improving).
9. UCF (Good recruiting class and some good young players. Big year for the coach).
10. East Carolina (Small step forward).
11. Tulane (Take a step back).

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I basically agree with that list, though I still think Cincinnati is the team to beat. Cohesion & continuity will improve their offense.

Reaction Score
I have to go SMU #1, Cinci #2 and UConn #3. UConn has lots of potential and could end up #1, but we haven't had a good regular season (in any conference) in what feels like an eternity. It's something of a leap of faith to say that a mid-tier AAC team who lost its heart and soul (Boatright) will be the top team in the conference, on the strength of two transfers we've never seen play for UConn and two freshmen who have never stepped foot on a college basketball court. Add in that Cronin and Brown are established coaches, with Brown holding an AAC championship, and I think they've earned the top spot--especially with the talent they have coming back.

I hope I'm wrong, because history tells us that the #3 spot in the AAC is a dangerous place to be come tourney time. Certainly, if Miller and Gibbs adjust to UConn, Adams hits the ground running, Purvis builds on the end of last season, Calhoun finds his stroke, and Brimah continues to evolve, we could be a top, top team. But that's a lot of ifs.

Reaction Score
I have to go SMU #1, Cinci #2 and UConn #3. UConn has lots of potential and could end up #1, but we haven't had a good regular season (in any conference) in what feels like an eternity. It's something of a leap of faith to say that a mid-tier AAC team who lost its heart and soul (Boatright) will be the top team in the conference, on the strength of two transfers we've never seen play for UConn and two freshmen who have never stepped foot on a college basketball court. Add in that Cronin and Brown are established coaches, with Brown holding an AAC championship, and I think they've earned the top spot--especially with the talent they have coming back.
It wouldn't only be on the strength of two talented, fifth-year transfers and two highly ranked freshmen; it's the two talented freshmen and grad transfers, plus the return of 3/5 of the starting rotation.

I wouldn't consider myself to be one of the more positive posters on here, but I think a lot of people are being overly cautious with their expectations. This team is loaded with talent and experience, and if they finish 3rd or lower in the AAC, then something went seriously wrong.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
The top 3 teams (UConn, SMU, and Cincy) will be VERY good. Memphis and Tulsa will be good too. Memphis has the best front court in the conference with Nichols, Goodwin, and the Lawson brothers while UConn has the best backcourt with Gibbs, Purvis, Adams, and Hamilton. We have a really tough schedule next year with Maryland, Texas, Ohio St, Georgetown, Atlantis Tourney, (possibly Duke again?), and playing SMU, Cincy and Memphis twice each. If Memphis get's their backcourt settled, we're talking about around 10+ games vs top 25 opponents next year.

This is the best the AAC has been since it had 5 teams ranked at one point in its first year (Louisville, Cincy, SMU, Memphis, and UConn). It's going to be a fun year filled with tough, competitive games. Feels like old times again.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati, SMU, and UConn will all be very good. If Memphis had a coach they would also be very good.

The real wild card is Tulsa - nobody seems to respect them, but they did come one shot away from winning the regular season conference title last year, and they return pretty much everyone. So long as Haith is coaching somebody else's players, they will be heard from.

Reaction Score
1. SMU
2. Cincy
3. UConn
4. Memphis
5. Tulsa
6. Temple
7. ECU
8. Tulane
9. Houston
10. USF
11. UCF

Top 3 should be top 25 teams. Memphis has a lot of talent and I expect them to make the tournament. Tulsa should be in the mix for the tourney if they can get a couple big OOC wins. Temple could also be good with a strong late addition, they still have some very good guards. I thought ECU and Tulane showed promise last year, and the bottom 3 teams are just terrible, although I think Sampson has what it takes to turn Houston around if he's patient enough.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also inner city kids relate well with Damon and he has solid cred with parent and kids because of what he did at Zona in 2 years.

Reaction Score
I think the AAC will be a stronger top-heavy conference this year with my #1-#7 teams having 20+ win seasons.

I think Cincy edges out UConn for the top seed as they will have a longer, more consistent level of success where UConn might start slow and gel later in the year.

My * teams make the tournament.

*1) Cincy
*2) UConn
*3) SMU
*4) Temple
5) Tulsa
6) Memphis
7) Houston
8) UCF
9) USF
10) Tulane
11) East Carolina