Ranking college basketball's 10 best jobs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ranking college basketball's 10 best jobs

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
unfortunately generating pennies from your tv deal (and the future deal looks bleak) means this job is no where near a top 5 job unless uconn finally gets into a power conference.

get method man GIF

Thank you for your interest in 5-time national champion UConn basketball.

Good luck in the NIT.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Curious where you guys would rank on the top college coaching jobs in Cincinnati list.

A stratosphere below UCLA, obviously.

It must suck to lose your coach to a better program. I guess you just throw that B12 money at somebody who remembers Nick Van Exel and hope for the best.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I used to think that you were funny and creative, but you’ve sort of been really stretching it lately to a degree where it’s become sort of lame.

Just being honest. You used to make me laugh, but lately you’ve been getting the eye roll.

You’re trying too hard.

Funny - have had the same thought. @kobe used to have some subtlety to him that would actually troll people here. Now it's just playing the same tune which in turn just elicits the same exact responses from the same BYers every thread.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We are picked as the 5th best coaching spot in the country. And all the comments so far are negative about what the article (incorrectly) states was the state of the program when DH took over.

Only on the Boneyard
Why would you even want to correct it?

UConn fans are something else . Even want to whine when an error is in their favor. Probably would return a winning powerball ticket if it had a Duke logo on it.

Reaction Score
Big game for Kobe tonight. Indiana State. Winner goes to Indianapolis and a shot at a banner.

I can sense Cincy moving up that top job list as we get closer to tip-off.

Reaction Score
in the same way people say irregardless or for all intensive purposes. Otherwise, no.
Don't laugh at me but 'for all intensive purposes' makes way more sense logically than 'for all intents and purposes'.

If something is actually for all intents and purposes then the phrase is redundant and unnecessary. The whole point of the phrase is to describe 'in effect' or that while not in all situations this applies, for the most pertinent ones, you can treat it as such.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The fact that article says that is proof that the author doesn't know the first thing about college basketball, so I wouldn't bathe in his praise. There's plenty of compliments about our program to be found on the internet, made by people who know Danny dug this program out of a hole. It's not just that winning another title was a question mark -- being a competitive program was. We were recruiting dudes off YouTube.
I'm more than willing to be wrong here - and it's a punchy enough sound bite to survive perhaps being less literally true than it has been claimed as recently as twice in this thread - but was YouTube ever a recruiting source for anybody in addition to Kwintin Williams?

Reaction Score
Funny - have had the same thought. @kobe used to have some subtlety to him that would actually troll people here. Now it's just playing the same tune which in turn just elicits the same exact responses from the same BYers every thread.
Blocking posters is wonderful. Every once in a while I surf without logging in. Then see a banal Kobe comment and log in immediately

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm more than willing to be wrong here - and it's a punchy enough sound bite to survive perhaps being less literally true than it has been claimed as recently as twice in this thread - but was YouTube ever a recruiting source for anybody in addition to Kwintin Williams?

Once is enough to justify use of the insult. We had multiple bad players that we had to take because the staff couldn’t recruit decent players.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Once is enough to justify use of the insult. We had multiple bad players that we had to take because the staff couldn’t recruit decent players.
The insult might be justified enough to support hyperbole, but exaggerating the numbers just shows that gilding a turd is as questionable as gilding a lily.

Reaction Score
unfortunately generating pennies from your tv deal (and the future deal looks bleak) means this job is no where near a top 5 job unless uconn finally gets into a power conference.

get method man GIF
I don't like the content of your posts and completely disagree...but it has Wu Tang so here we are

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The insult might be justified enough to support hyperbole, but exaggerating the numbers just shows that gilding a turd is as questionable as gilding a lily.

Nobody said, “we recruited 5 guys off YouTube” or “we recruited half our team off YouTube.”

If Donovan Clingan blocks a shot into the 5th row, you’d say after the game, “Donovan Clingan was blocking shots into the 5th row.” It’s a manner of speech used to make a point.

Also, presumably, if the staff found Williams on YouTube, it found him by scouting and/or recruiting dudes off YouTube.

In sum, nobody exaggerated numbers and I’m not sure it was even hyperbole.

Reaction Score
Why would you even want to correct it?

UConn fans are something else . Even want to whine when an error is in their favor. Probably would return a winning powerball ticket if it had a Duke logo on it.
Hurley did an amazing job building this program back up, from the ashes. In that sense I get why people might take issue with the quote as it paints a different history.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Hurley did an amazing job building this program back up, from the ashes. In that sense I get why people might take issue with the quote as it paints a different history.
We were still just 4 years off a natty. How many schools can say that EVER?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I read your handle as blue inky. Lol
I read that and thought to myself, well, isn't that what it is [Long pause while staring at handle] ..... ohhhhhh!

CL82

Reaction Score

get method man GIF
Lol, thanks for the view from the NIT.

CL82

Reaction Score
We were recruiting dudes off YouTube.
Is this the basketball equivalent of "we used to be in trailers"?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
This wasn't a top 5 job when Hurley took over. Our backup options were a failing Frank Martin, and Jeff Capel. I'd imagine if Hurley left this off season, our options would be astronomically better. That's a testiment to him.
Just reading those names make me shutter. UConn basketball would be Indiana (with 1 less title) if we didn’t land Dan Hurley.

Reaction Score
A reminder of what Hurley thought of the program and what Calhoun’s response was.

This is quintessential Jim Calhoun and why he is the GOAT. No whiny crap, no victimhood, no excuses. The butt kissing and welcome press conference are over... Take off your coat and tie, roll up your sleaves and get to freaking work.

As Calhoun said at his initial UConn press conference so many years ago (in 1986, to be exact) "It's doable". And you know what? He was right. Danny got the message loud and clear and has now dragged us back to the top of the mountain.

We are so lucky to have had Jim Calhoun and now have Danny Hurley as the head coaches of our program. We lead a charmed life in the circles of men's college basketball fandom for sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom