Randy is sooooo afraid of a big play... | The Boneyard

Randy is sooooo afraid of a big play...

Reaction Score
That he let SU run bubble screens for first down until the score was 21-0.

Someone need to buy RE a pair of balls. Would it have made a difference? Who knows? But I know this, it shows the players he has zero faith in them.

Reaction Score
Yeah because blitzing has worked so well
I'd like to know what pal wants us to do. blitzing doesn't even help in that scenario. it's a quick hit. the whole reason offenses run it is because it's the epitome of "my guy is better than your guy." and guess what? everyone elses guys are just flat out better than our guys right now

Reaction Score
I'd like to know what pal wants us to do. blitzing doesn't even help in that scenario. it's a quick hit. the whole reason offenses run it is because it's the epitome of "my guy is better than your guy." and guess what? everyone elses guys are just flat out better than our guys right now

Very true. There’s something there with Hahn, but we don’t have guys who hit on defense.

Reaction Score
As rough a day as he had @ times - he had a career high 11 tackles.
I am surprised. I started to tune out a little in the 3rd quarter, but it's nice to see someone with double digit tackles. his bad plays were just so obviously bad and led to big plays. the one where he had a sack lined up and ran right by Dungey was killer

Reaction Score
I am surprised. I started to tune out a little in the 3rd quarter, but it's nice to see someone with double digit tackles. his bad plays were just so obviously bad and led to big plays. the one where he had a sack lined up and ran right by Dungey was killer
They have to get these defenders to play to the whistle. Too many guys give up on the backside of the play. Sometimes during piles out defenders are standing there as offensive players continue pushing the pile. That's a teachable thing.

Reaction Score
They have to get these defenders to play to the whistle. Too many guys give up on the backside of the play. Sometimes during piles out defenders are standing there as offensive players continue pushing the pile. That's a teachable thing.
that has to be the toughest thing to coach right now in all of football with all of the early whistles and personal foul/targeting/late hit penalties.

Reaction Score
Yeah because blitzing has worked so well

I would rather die with my boots on.

SU didn't have very good wide receivers or running backs. They killed us with scheme and taking advantage of our passive defense. In the second half when we finally showed up at the LOS, they were much less effective.

Here's some advise. Rewatch the game.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

It would be teachable if we had somebody on the coaching staff willing to step up and teach it.

Reaction Score
I would rather die with my boots on.

SU didn't have very good wide receivers or running backs. They killed us with scheme and taking advantage of our passive defense. In the second half when we finally showed up at the LOS, they were much less effective.

Here's some advise. Rewatch the game.

Riley isn’t a good WR? Everytime pressure was sent, it was an easy pitch and catch for a big gain.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I would like to see some tighter coverage on the outside receivers. Blitzing isn't the cure neither. UConn has to tackle better, both on the outside and inside. My biggest beef was not being able to stop the run over guard and center for the entire game. That is something that has to improve otherwise the team is in for a very long season

Reaction Score
As rough a day as he had @ times - he had a career high 11 tackles.
He missed about about a dozen plays too and some were head scratchers. I don’t think he is big enough to bring a run stop game or quick enough to reliably get to the edge.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I would like to see some tighter coverage on the outside receivers. Blitzing isn't the cure neither. UConn has to tackle better, both on the outside and inside. My biggest beef was not being able to stop the run over guard and center for the entire game. That is something that has to improve otherwise the team is in for a very long season

Of all the things, this is what kills me, too. Big holes on runs up the gut.

If we can't win on the lines, we can't win. And right now, we can't win on the lines.

Reaction Score

Good points. In the second half we were much closer to the outside receivers. It worked much better. They never really got the ball downfield even when their receivers had us beat. As for Riley, he's 110 pounds and we gave him free releases off the LOS. He should have no chance to beat strong press coverage.

Blitzing isn't the cure but it helped.

True, the tackling is terrible. Even when we get there, we give up chunks of yardage after contact. Our guys run to contact not through contact. That's what those big donut wheels are suppose to be teaching. Grap it and keep moving, use your momentum to stop it's momentum.

Reaction Score
As for Riley, he's 110 pounds and we gave him free releases off the LOS. He should have no chance to beat strong press coverage.

You might want to check that weight...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Until they get stronger and more disciplined this is like arguing which is the driest cabin on the Titanic. I can't think of a more worthless stat than UConn's leading tackler.

The only way we are winning these games is if we compare our number of touchdowns to the opponents number of punts.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'd be worried if he wasn't afraid of the big play. We give up big plays better than anyone in the country. In a "normal" season, I hate playing DBs 10-15 yards off the LOS. But in this season with so many overmatched FR on the field, I don't care if we line up 11 across our own goal line on every play. Keep everything in front and hope opposing offenses make mistakes.

Reaction Score
Hahn looks absolutely terrible at times, and then he makes a good play out of nowhere. There is something there but it's gotta show up more often

Couldn't agree with this more. Was going to post something about this. I watched him exclusively for a series of like 15-20 plays. Sometimes barely moves. Especially in zone coverage (it's as if he thinks zone means stand right here and guard this 4 x 4 spot on the field). And then he makes an instinctive play like blowing up the screen. Sometimes he hits hard, some plays he hits like a middle schooler. Very frustrating.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom