Railroad cars | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Railroad cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The state of Connecticut would probably tax the train/trolley cars so much they would not be economically viable.

Reaction Score
Carl I really like the idea of one of the stadium gates being built into a sub so the crowd walks thru it. Maybe call me crazy but one entrance can be on the Groton side on the stadium with a walk thru sub and the other can be a helicopter on the Stratford side of the stadium or something like that.

Or we can just play our football games on the ussct deck.......while bombing Boston. When we score touchdowns fans can shoot off cannons pointed at Boston. Lol serious tho I want a cannon somewhere random on top of the stands that after a touchdown its tradition to blast.
I love the idea of the entrances having names/themes. Carl is right, the gameday experience is incredibly important and I think largely ignored by management of the Rent and UConn. There are so many great out there, and in this thread...if only someone was listening...

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
#$%@%^@5^ railroad cars.

If I won powerball, I'd build a damned spur right to Storrs. There are tracks, what, 2 miles away? I'd buy a nice engine and maybe 10 cars, and run the "Husky Express" on basketball game nights.

Hey, if we're dreaming...

Reaction Score
Why not have a mobile truck with goods from the Dairy Bar. It'll help bring the campus experience to the game. Since I think I only ever got the shakes (no double meaning intended) when I had a hangover, I'll wait until the game is over and get one on the way out.
I like the military theme on the outside as a prelude to the battle inside. I mentioned this before, but I'd also love for the team to come in to "Flight of the Valkyries" right after they play a clip from Apocalypse Now with Duvall saying "I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like ... victory."
The current game day experience is flat and repititious. It needs a good kick in the arse.

I really hope the "upgrades to concessions" that are being talked about involve the Dairy Bar.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd love to see a food court kind of area where you have a series of vendors, some shops. They don't need to all that fancy. Just some nicely faced concrete block houses with power. Basically glorified food trucks that could be rented by vendors. Set up one for Husky gear (Co-op), one for the Dairy Bar, one for an alumni help area and then let whomever's interested fill the rest. Do the whole area Husky themed - stick a Jonathan statue in there, make an oak leaf pattern in the pavers, thrown in some areas for people to congregate, etc. Relatively inexpensive upgrade to entrance and experience.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'd love to see a food court kind of area where you have a series of vendors, some shops. They don't need to all that fancy. Just some nicely faced concrete block houses with power. Basically glorified food trucks that could be rented by vendors. Set up one for Husky gear (Co-op), one for the Dairy Bar, one for an alumni help area and then let whomever's interested fill the rest. Do the whole area Husky themed - stick a Jonathan statue in there, make an oak leaf pattern in the pavers, thrown in some areas for people to congregate, etc. Relatively inexpensive upgrade to entrance and experience.
I really like this idea. I always felt the Dairy Bar never got its due. You look at other schools and some of their creameries are packed. I dunno if it's been moved but 10 years ago it was tucked away in the Ag building and no one hardly went or even knew about it. I think Cathy Johns and Friendlies were frequented more. Think it would be great to embrace the Dairy Bar in any form at The Rent

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Even better! I actually want both now haha.

I always thought old rail cars are some what cool and I now the older crowd and the younger crowd would both be entertained by it. The other thing I was thinking was a couple cars and put some type of shake shack simple food place in them and let the tailgaters go wild with it. Being able to blow a big train whistle should be a great thing. It can only happen ones a game day and its like a fan privilege to be chosen. You have to send pictures of yourself tailgating being a uconn fan and if Jonathan or students or w/e picks you then you get to blow the whistle ring the bell type deal. It should happen at a certain time ore game that all fans know its coming and make it a bit of a event as part of the overall days event.

I realize this is all left field and more like parking garage beyond left field but what else is there to talk about lol? The on field product stinks and the school decided it would be better to hush the media so less negative backlash was in public while they try to sell tickets. They left us with a long dry summer because they thought it was better this way for uconn football(another crapy decision). So I'm left to talk about random things. This board is just dry.

@Excellent Idea,who don't like trains?My GG-grandfather came from Mayo,Ireland in 1850's and worked on and for the railroad in Wyoming Cty,Pa and eventually worked as an Engineer!!My mother in the "30's" remember's whenever he drove by(G-gramp's) he'd slow down and pull the horn rope in greeting and she's now in her 80's and loves traveling by rail over air to this day!As a kid growing up in the 50's /60's I used to hop freight's with other 8-11 yr old friend's and ride till we got chased by rr police!!LOl..I remember the little crossroad shack's little potbellied stove's in them w/men who practically lived in them making coffee and canned goods at crossroad's to lower the street guard black and white barrier's!I grew up never living more than 1 or 2 blocks from rr track's and at night the sound of the horn is still soothing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom