Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads)

Reaction Score
no good way to spin this.

either this was a mutual decision and the staff realized he wasn’t cut out for this level, which would be a big recruiting miss.

or this was not mutual and diggins decided to trasnfer due to the lack of opportunity given to him this year, which would be a big failure of the coaching staff to get him developmental minutes this year (there were obvious opportunities to do so).

Reaction Score
This is really dissapointing, no way around it.

Gotta get used to this stuff happening more I guess. Hurley has not had very many players transfer our of his programs in the past.

Reaction Score
Lol at people blaming Hurley. He watches these kids in practice every day. If Diggins deserved to play over Gaffney, he would’ve played. In the limited minutes he did get, he struggled. Sucks that it didn’t work out and I certainly hope this doesn’t start a trend (no reason to think it will) but blaming Hurley here is irresponsible.

That all being said - we need to bring in two guards now, whether it’s two transfers or a transfer and a de-commit who is able to play right away. I’m OK with “projects” with big men, but don’t love it with guards.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Liked this kids swagger - bummed it didn't work out, think he would've turned out to be a decent guard for us. Wish him the best wherever he ends up

Reaction Score
Yea let's call a spade a spade, Hurley's loyalty to playing Gaff likely costed us a future with Diggins. If Diggins gets 10mpg I doubt he's leaving. Maybe it was the right call for this season but probably hurts long term.
Not sure why people are down voting this. Hurley was too loyal and too stubborn to bench Gaffney. Diggins deserved a real chance. This sucks.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
LOL while no one wants Sool leaving, did you see how bad he was when he stepped on the court? That's not on Hurley. Sool looked timid and was a turnover machine in limited minutes. Stop this nonsense.
He was put on the floor with the B team in garbage time. That's not being put in a position to succeed.

Gaffney played just as poorly, if not worse, and continued to see the floor. No reason Sool could not have earned minutes over Gaff... but he was never put in a position early on to be able to get comfortable.

So of course he didn't look good when Hurley threw him to the wolves in garbage time with the B team later in the year.

Mismanaged by Hurley because of his blind loyalty to Gaffney. Plain and simple.

Reaction Score
Yup. That's the frustrating part. Loyalty to a guy who didn't deserve any minutes at all cost us a guy who could potentially be a big contributor going forward
Yea let's call a spade a spade, Hurley's loyalty to playing Gaff likely costed us a future with Diggins. If Diggins gets 10mpg I doubt he's leaving. Maybe it was the right call for this season but probably hurts long term.
You're not looking at this the right way.

Hurley started reducing Gaff's minutes because he wasn't playing well and STILL didn't increase Diggins' minutes. Diggins' minutes were what they were because of how he was practicing and performing, clearly. Because there was no relationship between Gaff's minutes and Diggins'. And now that Cole is gone and there are a ton of minutes available, Diggins isn't sticking around. Maybe the relationship is fractured, but Hurley isn't a fool. Hurley is a PG himself. He's not fracturing a relationship with his PG of the future to play a guy that he himself was benching quickly.
Gaffney played just as poorly, if not worse, and continued to see the floor. No reason Sool could not have earned minutes over Gaff... but he was never put in a position early on to be able to do that.
Barely. Gaffney was down to 4-8 minutes a game by the end of the year. If Diggins could do anything he would have been playing. There's no doubt of that.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
How can people come up with Hurley being the issue? Did y’all watch when diggins actually got in the game? He wasn’t gonna be a starting big east pg this season coming up either
I think Hurley could have gotten him more playing time early to get him used to playing at the college level. Maybe it would have given him more confidence to develop and contribute off the bench last year.

Injuries in the preseason no doubt set him back.

With that said, I completely agree. It's not Hurley's fault, per se.

At best it's a "what if" scenario. Maybe more early run would have given him the confidence he needed to see the court later in the year. But in the limited run he got in cupcake games, he wasn't very impressive (as to be expected with some frosh).

Hopefully a fresh start will work out better for him!

Reaction Score
You're not looking at this the right way.

Hurley started reducing Gaff's minutes because he wasn't playing well and STILL didn't increase Diggins' minutes. Diggins' minutes were what they were because of how he was practicing and performing, clearly. Because there was no relationship between Gaff's minutes and Diggins'. And now that Cole is gone and there are a ton of minutes available, Diggins isn't sticking around. Maybe the relationship is fractured, but Hurley isn't a fool. Hurley is a PG himself. He's not fracturing a relationship with his PG of the future to play a game that he himself was benching quickly.

Barely. Gaffney was down to 4-8 minutes a game by the end of the year. If Diggins could do anything he would have been playing. There's no doubt of that.
Part of the problem was that Hurley didn't even give Diggins a chance to develop in those November/December games.

But also if Diggins ends up at Villanova this would be a big black eye on the staff. That was his 2nd choice school.

Reaction Score
Disappointed but not a shocker here. Wonder if this changes how Hurley plays highly touted freshman? Wishing the best for Sool.

Reaction Score
Another lesson for Hurley. He's learned from some of his coaching mistakes to-date, but hasn't learned from others. Let's see if he learns from this one. I have no doubt Diggins will be a contributor at a P5 school elsewhere.

Statements like this are laugh out loud funny. People genuinely believe they're more plugged in than the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
no good way to spin this.

either this was a mutual decision and the staff realized he wasn’t cut out for this level, which would be a big recruiting miss.

or this was not mutual and diggins decided to trasnfer due to the lack of opportunity given to him this year, which would be a big failure of the coaching staff to get him developmental minutes this year (there were obvious opportunities to do so).
Selfishly I hope it's the former but can't really blame the staff for the latter...look at when he was in vs Gtown in DC. 2 turnovers in 1 minute. I was high on him going into next year but all the blame of this not working out shouldn't 100% be on Hurley/staff...

Reaction Score
For those of you blaming Hurley for this, RJ Cole played 33.5 mpg and didn't miss a single game. If Diggins got the remaining 6.5 mpg at PG, I doubt that would make a difference on his decision.

No matter the reason, I wish Rahsool the best of luck at his next school and personally, I'm hoping for him to return back to UConn after testing the waters.

Reaction Score
This is upsetting. I see some of you blaming this on Hurley not playing him enough and attributing that to Hurley's loyality to Gaffney. I thought the same thing for awhile - but I came to believe that Rahsool might just not be good enough to play for a top-tier Big East team.

Either way, though, this is still on Hurley. It was a big swing and a miss by him --- it was incredibly important to bring in a talented point guard to back-up/play alongside Cole - and then eventually replace Cole next year. This had implications this season and will likely have implications for the next couple of seasons as well. We literally have no point guard for next season right now -- neither Gaffney nor Floyd are true point guards.

I will wait to see what Hurley pulls off here. But it'll be his fifth season as the coach - and I would expect that we'd be in a better position than trying to find a point guard (and likely a back-up) through the portal.

Reaction Score
This is happening and has been happening all over CBB. We’ve just been exempt until now. Nothing to see here. We can find better talent imo.

Also, there is no way Diggins transfers with a starting job looking him in the face next season. This screams “mutual” to me. Hurley may have just decided to hurt some feelings. I hope more dominoes fall and we actually get UConn level guard talent in here.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm not going to kill Hurley too much, but it's concerning to me that he's recruited two PGs in his time here and whiffed on both. Really hope he hits a home run in the portal because he's going to need to.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Diggins was just as bad in practice as he was when he stepped on the court.

This was a miss by the staff. Not cut out for this level. Maybe he contributes as a junior. Very similar situation to a Makai Ashton Langford or Jalen Carey.
That"s the reality really bad miss

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom