OT: - Quotes From Players/Coaches - All Sports | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Quotes From Players/Coaches - All Sports

Reaction Score
Shaq regarding Yao Ming:

He was a great player and he tricked me. 3 years and I never spoke to Yao thinking it was a language barrier there and in one game he hit me with a Hakeem Olajuwon bing-bing fade away.”

He added, “I was like, ‘Hey Yao, nice move’ and he said, ‘thanks my brother’. I said, ‘you speak English?’. He was like, ‘Shaq, you never talk to me. Of course, I speak English.“

BFF7E690-B26A-43CF-88EE-98E08C930A98.jpeg

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
1951: Charlie Dressen(manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers): "The Giants is dead!"....................In a final playoff game at the end of the season, Bobby Thompson hit a home run, and the Giants won the pennant."

Reaction Score
1951: Charlie Dressen(manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers): "The Giants is dead!"....................In a final playoff game at the end of the season, Bobby Thompson hit a home run, and the Giants won the pennant."
Bobby's last name was actually Thomson. It was outfielder teammate Hank who was Thompson.

Reaction Score
  • Allen Iverson: We talkin' about practice?
  • Larry Brown: "He Said 'Practice' More Times Than He's Actually Practiced"

• Wilt Chamberlain: They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds.
  • Gordie Howe: All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and Profanity.
  • Rocky Graziano: I quit school in the sixth grade because of pneumonia. Not because I had it, but because I couldn't spell it.
  • Bob Knight: If the NBA were on channel five and a bunch of frogs making love was on channel four, I'd watch the frogs even if they were coming in fuzzy.
  • Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink: I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating.
  • Bill Belichick: I don't think there's anybody in this organization not focused on the 49ers...I mean Chargers.
  • An opponent: The only way to stop Jim Brown was to give him a movie contract.
  • Hank Aaron: It took me 17 years to get 3,000 hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course.
Fantastic post. Laughed for 5 minutes about the frogs.

Reaction Score
“When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”
Yogi Berra

View attachment 78831
When once asked what time it was, Yogi reportedly replied: "You mean now?"
Actually, Yogi was one of the smartest catchers in the game. He knew the strengths and weaknesses of every opposing batter in the league, long before there was such a thing as analytics. Manager Casey Stengel often commented on Berra's knowledge and value to the team. Now THERE were two peas in a pod. Casey and Yogi may each have fractured their syntax, but they understood each other.

Reaction Score
Legendary Texas coach Daryll Royal told his star freshman running back Earl (The Tyler Rose) Campbell..."When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before"!
John Riggins on end zone dancing (just becoming a thing back then): "Act like you've done it before and that you plan on doing it again".

FYI: the Diesel was almost thrown out of the White House (maybe he was) for having a "little too much" to drink. Gotta like this guy...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In 1995, in Spring Training, Don Mattingly and Derek Jeter were all alone running in the outfield.
When they finished Mattingly started running in and said to Jeter, "Run in, you never know who's watching, and you don't want them to see you loafing on the ball field!"

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
When young Jack Tatum was at Ohio State, he was converted from running back to a safety/ linebacker position. Being a skilled runner, he fielded kicks at practice. While head coach Woody Hayes was watching one afternoon , Tatum fielded a kick and ran back and forth and around until he reached the goal line in an improbably good return. Woody beckoned him over and , allegedly, said " At Ohio State, we run straight for the goal, son."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Here's a couple about sports, not necessarily from players/coaches though.

When I hear "Tennessee" and "revival" in the same sentence, the only thing that comes to mind are snakes and tambourines.
-our own late great PeachBaskets

Defending this team is like trying to nail Jell-O to a ceiling.
-Ray Hudson

As for Duke "knocking at the door of greatness", the door they are knocking at belongs to UCONN.
-our own Big UConn

This isn't rock science, this is just common sense.
- the one the only TonyCop

Father Time is undefeated.
-old sports cliche

Sprinkles are for winners.
-Flo

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
"Quote of the Day" online is from John Wooden, who said "You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." Fine coach, great man.

Reaction Score
“I don’t need girl basketball players” I need basketball players period”

Me

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak