Quick Tidbit on Nichols and UConn overall | The Boneyard

Quick Tidbit on Nichols and UConn overall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
By Joe Meloni from collegehockeynews.com:

Three Things I Think: Hockey East, Feb. 5, 2015
Posted by: Joe Meloni
I’ve been a pretty unrelenting critic of Connecticut this season. The Huskies have been better than anticipated in their first season as a Hockey East school.

Still, 8-12-7 overall isn’t a very good record.

There have been some brightspots, though, and goaltender Rob Nichols stands out as a legitimate all-star contender for the Huskies. Building teams from the goal out is a plan for most coaches. Nichols, a sophomore, has a .930 save percentage in 26 games played.

That’s not just a good season. Playing behind this UConn team, a .930 save percentage is truly remarkable.

The coaching and recruiting chops of Mike Cavanaugh suggest the Huskies are only going to improve in the next few seasons. A steady presence like Nichols in goal is precisely what a team in that transition phase needs to punch above its weight in a league like Hockey East.

For the next five years or so, UConn is going to be outclassed on paper by at least a few teams. It takes a long time for programs to build programs with enough good players to win games consistently and compete for championships.

In the short term, finding quality goaltending and coaching a team to support him with disciplined defending will help UConn win more games than sheer talent suggests it should.

It’s not a certainty if anyone to follow Nichols will play this well. Moreover, from watching UConn’s games, it’s abundantly clear that Nichols isn’t just a product of good defending. He’s a remarkable shot-stopper with the agility, skating and poise to steal certain goals. That’s not something every program can find for every recruiting class. There are otherwise great teams in college hockey right now that don’t have goaltending nearly as strong as UConn does.

Looking ahead to the Hockey East tournament, it’s difficult to see UConn winning two of three games from most teams in the league. Nichols, though, is a serious equalizer for the Huskies. As the Huskies improve over the next two seasons, Nichols may well be the type of player that can force a deep playoff run.

http://blog.collegehockeynews.com/2015/02/three-things-i-think-hockey-east-feb-5-2015/

Reaction Score
Joe is a good guy to follow on twitter among with Mike McMahon.

Reaction Score
How are we going to be outclassed for 5+ years if we'll be on equal footing with the rest of college hockey well before that? I'm not buying into that.

Reaction Score
We will be at the top of the league sooner rather than later. We have recruiting advantages over every other team in the league.

Reaction Score
I'm not supporting 100% what Meloni wrote, but he is right about his 5 yr statement. It will take 2 years to get to 18 scholarships, all other HE teams are already there. At some point Cav is going to need to find a goalie to replace Nichols when he graduates. It will be tough in my opinion to find a goalie that can step right in and play at the level we will be accustomed to seeing Nichols play at. If recruiting and player development continue, Cav will have this program looking to make a HUGE push to finish in the top 4 and maybe make the Frozen 4 playoffs Nichols's Sr season. That will also be his first year with 18 scholarships, and the freshman on this team will be Juniors., and hopefully the season the new on-campus barn/team facility opens. It's going to take some time to build depth and for the HE recruited talent to mature. But rest assured the right guy is in charge to get us there.

Reaction Score
We will be at the top of the league sooner rather than later. We have recruiting advantages over every other team in the league.
IMHO until the on-campus barn/team facility gets built we will be at a disadvantage recruiting wise over HE teams.

Reaction Score
I'm not supporting 100% what Meloni wrote, but he is right about his 5 yr statement. It will take 2 years to get to 18 scholarships, all other HE teams are already there. At some point Cav is going to need to find a goalie to replace Nichols when he graduates. It will be tough in my opinion to find a goalie that can step right in and play at the level we will be accustomed to seeing Nichols play at. If recruiting and player development continue, Cav will have this program looking to make a HUGE push to finish in the top 4 and maybe make the Frozen 4 playoffs Nichols's Sr season. That will also be his first year with 18 scholarships, and the freshman on this team will be Juniors., and hopefully the season the new on-campus barn/team facility opens. It's going to take some time to build depth and for the HE recruited talent to mature. But rest assured the right guy is in charge to get us there.
Agree with both of your statements. UConn is currently at a MAJOR recruiting disadvantage against every HE team without an on-campus facility. That's a stone cold fact. But it appears that'll get taken care of, and with the right facility, can become a major help to recruiting. Really, until Cav can establish a direct pipeline to the NHL, it's going to be difficult for him to be pulling in the big-name New England recruits, the Eichels and Hanafins, who want to play for the guy that has the NHL pedigree. Certainly, great facilities and winning games will be a major help, but to take the step to the top and get the big prizes, he has to prove he can get guys to the NHL.

Unfortunately for UConn, the wild card is going to be who replaces York, specifically, will Cav go back to BC. For your sake, I hope he stays in CT, but there are going to be whispers about it on the recruiting trail until that decision is made. There isn't an obvious replacement to the legend at BC like there was at BU with Quinn.

Reaction Score
Agree with both of your statements. UConn is currently at a MAJOR recruiting disadvantage against every HE team without an on-campus facility. That's a stone cold fact. But it appears that'll get taken care of, and with the right facility, can become a major help to recruiting. Really, until Cav can establish a direct pipeline to the NHL, it's going to be difficult for him to be pulling in the big-name New England recruits, the Eichels and Hanafins, who want to play for the guy that has the NHL pedigree. Certainly, great facilities and winning games will be a major help, but to take the step to the top and get the big prizes, he has to prove he can get guys to the NHL.

Unfortunately for UConn, the wild card is going to be who replaces York, specifically, will Cav go back to BC. For your sake, I hope he stays in CT, but there are going to be whispers about it on the recruiting trail until that decision is made. There isn't an obvious replacement to the legend at BC like there was at BU with Quinn.
I do think that Cav had a HUGE part of many of the kids BC sent to the NHL while he was there, so I think he does have the NHL pull. We are going to have to keep fingers crossed on Cav heading back to the Hill....although IMHO there is a HUGE faction at BC who want to see BC Blue Blood Greg Brown replace York. It will be interesting to see how that shakes out..when it does.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
For my money, Nichols is the best goalie in Hockey East. For what its worth, there are always seem to be a handful of visiting fans sitting near me at games and at every single game (including BU), I have overheard the same sentiment from them.

Reaction Score
Yes that's the big question, who will be Nichols eventual successor that could determine our aspirations in the years to come but even still when this freshman class become seniors, watch out.

I also think we're looking at 4 years at the XLC. QU's facility took 2 years and change to build and UConn hasn't even gotten close to the EIS stage yet. They're a long ways off from breaking ground.

Reaction Score
For my money, Nichols is the best goalie in Hockey East. For what its worth, there are always seem to be a handful of visiting fans sitting near me at games and at every single game (including BU), I have overheard the same sentiment from them.

He's been great. I wonder what effect having Andrew Raycroft on the staff makes. Maybe giving him a full-time position will help in recruiting blue chip goalies going forward.

Reaction Score
I do think that Cav had a HUGE part of many of the kids BC sent to the NHL while he was there, so I think he does have the NHL pull. We are going to have to keep fingers crossed on Cav heading back to the Hill....although IMHO there is a HUGE faction at BC who want to see BC Blue Blood Greg Brown replace York. It will be interesting to see how that sh
I do think that Cav had a HUGE part of many of the kids BC sent to the NHL while he was there, so I think he does have the NHL pull. We are going to have to keep fingers crossed on Cav heading back to the Hill....although IMHO there is a HUGE faction at BC who want to see BC Blue Blood Greg Brown replace York. It will be interesting to see how that s
I do think that Cav had a HUGE part of many of the kids BC sent to the NHL while he was there, so I think he does have the NHL pull. We are going to have to keep fingers crossed on Cav heading back to the Hill....although IMHO there is a HUGE faction at BC who want to see BC Blue Blood Greg Brown replace York. It will be interesting to see how that shakes out..when it does.
After watching UCONN Hockey for many,many years now and watching the NHL Scouts at the games especially this year you will definitely be seeing UCONN represented in the NHL in the very near future.

Reaction Score
Speaking of NHL, what are the chances Naas or Nichols get drafted this June?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Yes that's the big question, who will be Nichols eventual successor that could determine our aspirations in the years to come but even still when this freshman class become seniors, watch out.

I also think we're looking at 4 years at the XLC. QU's facility took 2 years and change to build and UConn hasn't even gotten close to the EIS stage yet. They're a long ways off from breaking ground.

Word is the XL recommendation is due in a week. I am very curious what that will mean for all UCONN sports. I suspect the recommendation will be a new arena, which means UCONN will be the carrot. I wonder if UCONN hockey will be a part of that carrot.

Reaction Score

I think when this freshmen class are juniors (that will give Cav 4 full recruiting classes...including the one when he was hired) and Nichols, Segalla, Koonas, Norris, and Richardson are Seniors that will be the year we may be able to crack the top 4 in HE and get a first rnd playoff bye/possible NCAA tourney shot. Replacing Nichols is going to be more than difficult. Hopefully this staff has their eyes on a goalie already that can come in and compete for the starting job as a freshen after Nichols graduates. One thing is for sure...we are EXTREMELY lucky to have him...and we get to enjoy him for the rest of this season and 2 more.

Reaction Score
He's been great. I wonder what effect having Andrew Raycroft on the staff makes. Maybe giving him a full-time position will help in recruiting blue chip goalies going forward.
There is no doubt that Raycroft has made a difference in Nichols game.

Reaction Score
Speaking of NHL, what are the chances Naas or Nichols get drafted this June?
Here are the draft rules:
How do players even enter the NHL Draft?

To be eligible, players must be 18 years old by Sept. 15 and under 20 years old by Dec. 31 in the draft year. However, non-North American players over 20 years old are eligible. North American players who go undrafted by age 20 are considered to be unrestricted free agents (UFAs). All non-North Americans MUST be drafted before they can sign an NHL contract, despite their age.

Nichols was born in 92 and is over 20 so he will be a unrestricted free agent after his senior season
Naas is 19 so this is his last shot (he turns 20 in June) at getting drafted otherwise he too will be a UFA

Reaction Score
Word is the XL recommendation is due in a week. I am very curious what that will mean for all UCONN sports. I suspect the recommendation will be a new arena, which means UCONN will be the carrot. I wonder if UCONN hockey will be a part of that carrot.

Yup, Feb. 19th. I'm keeping my expectations low but imo the XLC being gutted or a completely new arena is an important part of the equation for entrance into the B1G, ACC.

ALL UConn fans should want a solution that brings Hartford into the 21st century arena-wise.

As far as how it pertains to UConn Hockey I don't really think it makes to much of a difference. 2014-15, 15-16, 16-17 & 17-18 at the XLC then the team moves to Storrs for 2018-19 but plays 2-3 home games along with a possible tournament in Hartford annually. That's how I see it going down. I don't think a new arena pry's away anymore games from Storrs than what they already are probably thinking.

Reaction Score
Here are the draft rules:
How do players even enter the NHL Draft?

To be eligible, players must be 18 years old by Sept. 15 and under 20 years old by Dec. 31 in the draft year. However, non-North American players over 20 years old are eligible. North American players who go undrafted by age 20 are considered to be unrestricted free agents (UFAs). All non-North Americans MUST be drafted before they can sign an NHL contract, despite their age.

Nichols was born in 92 and is over 20 so he will be a unrestricted free agent after his senior season
Naas is 19 so this is his last shot (he turns 20 in June) at getting drafted otherwise he too will be a UFA

Ok, thank you. Wasn't sure on how that worked. Hopefully a strong finish to the season gets Spencer drafted.

Reaction Score
Two major pieces of UConn's future are coming in the fold next year. Miles Gendron and Tage Thompson are the first two major recruits Cavanaugh has been able to bring in. Gendron is one of the top defensemen coming into college next year and was drafted by the Ottawa Senators in the 3rd round last year out of high school. Thompson is playing on the under 18 national team this year with the best young talent in the U.S. If Thompson develops like some believe he could become an elite player. Both will be counted on early to be major impacts and major building blocks.

Hopefully with Thompson coming to Storrs, it will help bring his brother in who some say is even more talented.

Reaction Score
Two major pieces of UConn's future are coming in the fold next year. Miles Gendron and Tage Thompson are the first two major recruits Cavanaugh has been able to bring in. Gendron is one of the top defensemen coming into college next year and was drafted by the Ottawa Senators in the 3rd round last year out of high school. Thompson is playing on the under 18 national team this year with the best young talent in the U.S. If Thompson develops like some believe he could become an elite player. Both will be counted on early to be major impacts and major building blocks.

Hopefully with Thompson coming to Storrs, it will help bring his brother in who some say is even more talented.
GREAT info mac...this made me start thinking who else Cav has committed for next year (and beyond)...here is what I found on www.Collegehockeyinc.com: (Tage Thompson is enrolling next yr not 16-17)
University of Connecticut 2015-16 CREEL, Tanner G Odessa Jackalopes (NAHL) 02/03/15
University of Connecticut 2016-17 THOMPSON, Tage C USA Under 18 Team (NTDP) 08/27/14
University of Connecticut 2015-16 MCLELLAN, Tyson C Waterloo Black Hawks (USHL) 03/27/14
University of Connecticut 2015-16 RICHTER, Marco LW Madison Capitols (USHL) 02/26/14
University of Connecticut 2015-16 SIDERIO, Anthony C Philadelphia Elite Flyers (USPHL) 09/13/12
University of Connecticut 2015-16 GENDRON, Miles LD Penticton Vees (BCHL)
University of Connecticut 2015-16 EL-MIR, Karl LW Grande Prairie Storm (AJHL)
University of Connecticut 2015-16 SHANE, Brendan C Nanaimo Clippers (BCHL)
University of Connecticut 2016-17 GARIN, Will RW Holy Family Catholic HS (MN-HS) 01/30/14
University of Connecticut 2017-18 MAYER, Connor LD Benilde-St. Margaret's HS (MN-HS) 11/28/14

This is the Sr class:
1 Tom Comunale SR Goaltender 5-11/180 Seven Fields, Pa.
5 Jacob Poe SR Defenseman 6-3/210 Arlington, Texas
15 Brad Smith SR Forward 5-10/179 Trenton, Mich.
17 Ryan Tyson SR Forward 5-9/187 Harleysville, Pa.
18 Trevor Gerling SR Forward 6-0/200 Seattle, Wash.
27 Cody Sharib SR Forward 6-2/210 Needham, Mass.
spacer.gif

Bringing in 8 total including Thompson...losing 6 Seniors...gaining 4 more scholarships for a total of 14.

Reaction Score
GREAT info mac...this made me start thinking who else Cav has committed for next year (and beyond)...here is what I found on www.Collegehockeyinc.com: (Tage Thompson is enrolling next yr not 16-17)
University of Connecticut 2015-16 CREEL, Tanner G Odessa Jackalopes (NAHL) 02/03/15
University of Connecticut 2016-17 THOMPSON, Tage C USA Under 18 Team (NTDP) 08/27/14
University of Connecticut 2015-16 MCLELLAN, Tyson C Waterloo Black Hawks (USHL) 03/27/14
University of Connecticut 2015-16 RICHTER, Marco LW Madison Capitols (USHL) 02/26/14
University of Connecticut 2015-16 SIDERIO, Anthony C Philadelphia Elite Flyers (USPHL) 09/13/12
University of Connecticut 2015-16 GENDRON, Miles LD Penticton Vees (BCHL)
University of Connecticut 2015-16 EL-MIR, Karl LW Grande Prairie Storm (AJHL)
University of Connecticut 2015-16 SHANE, Brendan C Nanaimo Clippers (BCHL)
University of Connecticut 2016-17 GARIN, Will RW Holy Family Catholic HS (MN-HS) 01/30/14
University of Connecticut 2017-18 MAYER, Connor LD Benilde-St. Margaret's HS (MN-HS) 11/28/14

This is the Sr class:
1 Tom Comunale SR Goaltender 5-11/180 Seven Fields, Pa.
5 Jacob Poe SR Defenseman 6-3/210 Arlington, Texas
15 Brad Smith SR Forward 5-10/179 Trenton, Mich.
17 Ryan Tyson SR Forward 5-9/187 Harleysville, Pa.
18 Trevor Gerling SR Forward 6-0/200 Seattle, Wash.
27 Cody Sharib SR Forward 6-2/210 Needham, Mass.
spacer.gif

Bringing in 8 total including Thompson...losing 6 Seniors...gaining 4 more scholarships for a total of 14.
Here is the recruit list from CHN:
Connecticut
Pos. Ht., Wt. Hometown Last Team LOI NHL Draft Status
El-Mir, CarlLW5-11, 150 Salmon Arm (BCHL)
Freeman, BenRW6-4, 180Falmouth, MaineNorthfield Mt. Hermon (NEDI)
Gendron, MilesC6-2, 174Shrewsbury, Mass.Penticton (BCHL)x2014-OTT-3 (70)
McLellan, TysonRW5-11, 165San Jose, Calif.Waterloo (USHL)
Richter, MarcoLW6-1, 185Wien, AustriaMadison (USHL)
Shane, BrendanC5-11, 165Rochester, N.Y.Waterloo (USHL)
Siderio, AnthonyC5-10, 170West Berlin, N.J.Philadelphia (USPHL)
Garin, WillRW5-9, 161Mound, Minn.Holy Family (HS-MN)
Thompson, TageRW6-1, 158 U.S. NTDP U18

Reaction Score
Shane, El-Mir & Siderio aren't Cavs recruits I don't believe. Do we know if they're still incoming to Storrs?

Reaction Score
According to Mike Anthony of the Courant the incoming class consists of:

Miles Gendron
Tage Thompson
Carl El-Mir
Marco Richter
Tyson McClellan
Ben Freeman looks like he will be 16-17.
Tanner Creel (News came after article)

NLI day is in April.

From Mike Anthony:

Six UConn players will exhaust their eligibility after this season – forward Ryan Tyson (captain), forward Trevor Gerling (team-high five goals), Jacob Poe (a top defenseman), backup goalie Tom Comunale, forward Cody Sharib and forward Brad Smith.
Seven recruits have committed, with six scheduled to join the program next season. Next year's freshman class, as it stands now, is right wing Tage Thompson, center Miles Gendron, left wing Marco Richter, left wing Carl El-Mir, right wing Tyson McLellan and right wing Ben Freeman, who might end up as part of the 2016-17 class. UConn averages 1.73 goals a game, 55th out of 59 Division I teams. The aforementioned players, particularly Thompson and Gendron, will be expected to immediately breathe life into the offense.
Thompson, the son of Bridgeport Sound Tigers coach Brent Thompson, is currently with the U-18 team as part of the U.S. National Team Development Program, based in Ann Arbor, Mich. Originally expected to enroll at UConn for the 2016-17 season, Thompson has begun accelerating his schooling with plans instead to enroll in the fall of 2015.
Thompson, 17, whose family lives in Orange, made an oral commitment to UConn in August and said he will sign a national letter of intent in April. He toured just about every Hockey East campus and gave strong consideration to Boston College and Maine but chose UConn because he felt so comfortable with the coaching staff. Thompson's commitment is widely considered the biggest recruiting victory so far for Cavanaugh.
"The plan right now is for me to be there next year," Thompson said. "I didn't think I could go wrong either way, playing another year of juniors or going to UConn next year. I'm really excited to play for Coach Cav. UConn just felt right. … I feel pretty comfortable with the level of Division I play and I feel like I can jump right in and be a major contributor."
Thompson has seven goals and seven assists in 27 games for the U-18 team, which plays a 54-game schedule against top college, junior and international teams.
Gendron, of Shrewsbury, Mass., was a third-round selection of the Ottawa Senators in the June NHL draft. He is currently playing with Penticton of the British Columbia Hockey League. He has signed a national letter of intent.

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-uconn-hockey-1223-20141222-story.html#page=2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32