Question, re: UCONN and expansion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Question, re: UCONN and expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
why not sign a GOR? every other pertinent detail ( like waiting periods) to any of these conference contracts have been thrown out, so why not sign it? if we really want to leave we'll pay another $5mil to do so, which will be money well spent, and that will be that

Because getting out of a GOR could be much more expensive. If the offer is much higher because of it one would surmise it has a big penalty. Don't see how Louisville could sign one. Wouldn't want UConn to sign one. I don't think Boise would either.

Reaction Score
If the BE gets a nice fat contract and everyone decides to sticks together, when the ACC is poached by the Big 12 and SEC, the BE will be in much better shape.

As much as I woould like to see Uconn in a better conference, I also wouldn't mind seeing the ACC crumble. FSU, Clemson, Maryland, GT and VT could be gone in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
Considering this "time zone" perspective for television, I wouldn't be surprised if the most powerful Big 12 programs reconsider going to the Pac-12 in the future.

Reaction Score
There are very few things that are certain in life. You have the usual, death and taxes.

For UCONN, you can add being a signatory on a Big East grant of media rights.

Also, to attribute the views of Jeff Jacobs to the UCONN administration is akin to attributing the views of William Randolph Hearst to Valeriano Weyler y Nicolau (spanish for "really cool name").

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There are very few things that are certain in life. You have the usual, death and taxes.

For UCONN, you can add being a signatory on a Big East grant of media rights.

Also, to attribute the views of Jeff Jacobs to the UCONN administration is akin to attributing the views of William Randolph Hearst to Valeriano Weyler y Nicolau (spanish for "really cool name").

Which is why I'm glad Louisville is involved, to save UConn from themselves.

Reaction Score
Not trying to pile on, but if you have any info about uconn favoring a gor, I'm all ears... Mostly because I'd be very... Apprehensive?... If that were the case.
Creme fraiche cafeteria fraiche la la la la fraiche....sorry couldn't resist ya bloody wanker

Reaction Score
Because getting out of a GOR could be much more expensive. If the offer is much higher because of it one would surmise it has a big penalty. Don't see how Louisville could sign one. Wouldn't want UConn to sign one. I don't think Boise would either.

If im a network, I lay it out like this, those willing to sign a GoR, get x amount say 14 million, those that don't you get 2 million. NBC, or whoever is doing the bidding against espn could simply say they are not going to reward a team financially to watch them jump to a competitor, when that competitor decides they want to weaken their product.

UConn RU and Ville, may not like those terms but all three are going to find out real quick they aren't dictating terms here.

Reaction Score
What makes anybody think a television network cares one bit about the whole "grant of media rights" concept?

It's inherent in the contract itself, that the conference is going to fulfill it's broadcast responsibilities by having games to broadcast, otherwise the network doesn't cut the check. Ask the Big 12 - and Chuck Neinas prior to TCU and WVU additions, and after losing Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri and Texas A&M. THe entire concept means nothing at the bargaining table.

The ACC? the ACC voluntarily gave all their broadcasting rights to ESPN. That's totally different than the grant of rights concept, as an attempt to create stability in an athletic conference.

BTW: There are better ways to get a ship to it's destination, other than shackling the entire crew to bench by their ankles, handcuffing them to the oars and then whipping them until they row in unison.

Reaction Score
Whatever network is going to pony up big bucks is going yo know that the schools most likely to be poached or leave, are the big easts biggest assets. You really think a network wants to commit big money to the big east minus UConn, RU and Ville? Who does the big east replace those schools with?

I just can't see a network paying big bucks to a league where its most valuable members are threat to leave at the drop of a hat.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I just can't see a network paying big bucks to a league where its most valuable members are threat to leave at the drop of a hat.

That may be a slight edge for the conference... we have a product, you want to keep it whole, a little spice in the pot might help...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That may be a slight edge for the conference... we have a product, you want to keep it whole, a little spice in the pot might help...

I agree with this. NBC is in an odd spot where if they underpay they could devalue the long term value if the teams can't compete on the field.

Heck if they want to overpay they could probably recruit a few schools. BYU for certain would be in play If they were north of the ACC dollars and covered exit fees and the schools kept Tier 3 why wouldn't a few ACC schools listen.

Reaction Score
I think we are getting way off topic here. How do we get back to answering the rhetorical question about why UCONN would push for a GOR after being all loud about not being satisfied with the NNBE and simultaneously ho'ing itself out to any conference that would listen? Anyone? Thoughts on the matter? Can anyone respond to the question that was based upon an obvious faulty premise - a question which he later answers himself - and post it here so that the OP can engage in harmless, honest discussion?

Since NJBallFan has so innocently set off some board members - who were completely unfair in mistaking his post for a thinly veiled and impotent flaming attemp - I want to satisfy his appeal to our sympathies and make sure that he gets all the answers that he deserves, given his honest intentions and all.

Reaction Score
I think we are getting way off topic here. How do we get back to answering the rhetorical question about why UCONN would push for a GOR after being all loud about not being satisfied with the NNBE and simultaneously ho'ing itself out to any conference that would listen? Anyone? Thoughts on the matter? Can anyone respond to the question that was based upon an obvious faulty premise - a question which he later answers himself - and post it here so that the OP can engage in harmless, honest discussion?

Since NJBallFan has so innocently set off some board members - who were completely unfair in mistaking his post for a thinly veiled and impotent flaming attemp - I want to satisfy his appeal to our sympathies and make sure that he gets all the answers that he deserves, given his honest intentions and all.
Sorry Auggie, but it doesn't fly. Go to the Louisville Scout board & see the thread that he started there saying that UConn is pushing the Big East to sign over GOR & that he documents with a paragraph from the Jeff Jacobs article. He goes on to accuse J.J. of being Susan Herbst's mouthpiece. He's a total flamer.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
augie, it would be all speculation at this point, but you could infer that UConn has assessed its chances of being invited to the ACC or B1G in the period until the TV contract is signed, compared it to the chances of Louisville being invited to the B12 in that time period, and concluded that the latter is more likely to happen. (For the sake of argument, let's assume RU and UConn have an equal chance since they would get invited together and Louisville is the lynchpin). So they're calculating the benefits vs. costs, weighted with the likelihood of either scenario. Or at least I hope that's what they're doing.

Reaction Score

answers have been given.

It is generally assumed that in order to maximize TV revenue the league needs to find a way to insure it can no longer EASILY be poached. Binding ourselves together may also help win over BYU.

If UCONN, Rutgers and Louiville went to the ACC and told them that in 30 days we will no longer be available to you as expansion candidates its quite possible the ACC might pull the trigger on further expansion, if they then decide not to expand its probably safe to assume they never would have and everyone can move on, including us fans who are exhausted by conference expansion BS.

It should also be noted that it is possible that the Big East's lack of cohesion is hurting us on the recruiting trail or will hurt us in the future.

I believe it was Ben Franklin who said "We must all hang together or we will all suck at football".

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I believe it was Ben Franklin who said "We must all hang together or we will all suck at football".
LOL. Reminds me of the famous Thomas Jefferson quote that goes: "Many of the quotes on the internet are fake."

Reaction Score
Sorry Auggie, but it doesn't fly. Go to the Louisville Scout board & see the thread that he started there saying that UConn is pushing the Big East to sign over GOR & that he documents with a paragraph from the Jeff Jacobs article. He goes on to accuse J.J. of being Susan Herbst's mouthpiece. He's a total flamer.

Yep, that is why I was getting a little hot under the collar. I am pretty sure that he posts on the Rutgers Rivals board under a different name. Talk about a cowardly, dishonest dim wit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have no problem with a GOR if the number is substantially higher than 14 million. I have a lot of problem with it the number is substantially lower.

Reaction Score
I have no idea where you got that. I have never posted on the Louisville Scout board. I came here for honest discussion and now you're flaming me. Feel free to look me up on RU's premium board where I go by the moniker, Scarletnut. Despite our rivalry, I have never even flamed you guys on that board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom