Question, re: UCONN and expansion | The Boneyard

Question, re: UCONN and expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From what I've read over the last year, UCONN's admins have actively stated in the print and internet media that you're looking to get out of the BE and into the ACC or B1G. I may not agree with the public method but I have no problem with the intent since I'm sure RU, UL, Cincy, USF would leave in a second also. My question is why is UCONN now pushing for a granting of media rights for the BE members since if UCONN were to leave, it would cost a helluva lot more if passed than if there were no grants of media rights? Do the UCONN admins feel that you are not an expansion target in the next round and therefore trying to keep all members on board?

Reaction Score
Eh. Some schools offer strong academics, championships, and athletic departments that are not an albatross on the entire university's budget.

Other schools offer a geographic proximity to the world's largest media market. But those schools often come with empty trophy cases.

Reaction Score
From what I've read over the last year, UCONN's admins have actively stated in the print and internet media that you're looking to get out of the BE and into the ACC or B1G. I may not agree with the public method but I have no problem with the intent since I'm sure RU, UL, Cincy, USF would leave in a second also. My question is why is UCONN now pushing for a granting of media rights for the BE members since if UCONN were to leave, it would cost a helluva lot more if passed than if there were no grants of media rights? Do the UCONN admins feel that you are not an expansion target in the next round and therefore trying to keep all members on board?

If you are correct about UCONN and the "granting of media rights" it's probably a "devil you know vs a devil you're not sure of."

Reaction Score
The granting of media rights will result in a bigger network pay day and force the ACC or any other conference to act now if they want to expand. The issue needs to be forced and put to bed once and for all because hanging in realignment limbo is the weakest position for the school to be in.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score

Link? You cannot establish that UCONN administrators are pushing for a GOR without evidence. I see you are trying, though.

This post smells like a Rutgers fan trying desperately to find a shred of evidence (like unsourced, ambiguous statements in a second-rate publication) to support the notion that the ACC wants them more than UCONN. That may be true, and only time will tell, but I dare you to show me one actual named source that suggests this to be the case.

Instead you ignore sourced statements to the contrary, while trying to connect invisible dots through gaping inference.

Apologies if I have misread you.

Reaction Score
Where's your documentation that UConn is pushing for a grant of rights? The next contract hasn't even begun negotiations yet, & it would seem that it would be the broadcasters pushing for grants of rights as a carrot for a higher payout.

Reaction Score
Well, since it's been more than adequately addressed by others....I've got a question for the jersey guy:

How do you like them apples?

Reaction Score
Thanks to the posters who answered civilly. Don't know what to say to the others, wasn't trying to flame, but whatever.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Thanks to the posters who answered civilly. Don't know what to say to the others, wasn't trying to flame, but whatever.

If you provide them with a link they'll calm down. Too many trolls come on the board unfortunately who try to stir up non-sense without any proof so it's a built in reaction for some.

pj

Reaction Score
metsfan is right. Big East teams need a big payday to stay competitive. A GoR may be the only way to obtain it. The GoR puts Big East teams off limits to other conferences, so they will have to make their best offer now if they want further realignment. Basically, UConn and other Big East teams are now up for auction, the other conferences and NBC/Fox etc can now make their best bids. Speak now or wait until the current media contracts expire.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
metsfan is right. Big East teams need a big payday to stay competitive. A GoR may be the only way to obtain it. The GoR puts Big East teams off limits to other conferences, so they will have to make their best offer now if they want further realignment. Basically, UConn and other Big East teams are now up for auction, the other conferences and NBC/Fox etc can now make their best bids. Speak now or wait until the current media contracts expire.

If it's true it's a major gamble for UConn and the other programs looking to move on. It would be interesting to see if other conferences, specifically the Big 12, move on teams like Louisville since they eventually wanna get to 12 if not more. Then again, I know a few posters who were very convinced that a GoR would hold no water so maybe this isn't as big of a deal and something the Networks want but it can be challenged. Who knows? In the end, I'd be a little worried if UConn went along with this since our ultimate goal is not to be at the kiddie table.

pj

Reaction Score
The NBE is not the kiddie table. There will be a clear separation -- NBE $14 mn per team, ACC $17 mn, B1G/Pac12/B12/SEC $20 mn, everybody else <$2 mn. We'll have ten years to prove ourselves on the field, and then when the TV contracts next come up, there will be another realignment.

My only concern is: how extensive are the rights included in the GoR? If media moves toward streaming and online distribution, then handing over all content to a network that may not monetize it in all channels (eg SNY) could leave a lot of "Tier 3" money and exposure on the table.

Reaction Score

Question. Does anyone know the magnitude (+/-) of either or both the GoR increment and/or the penalties a departing school would incur if bound by a GoR?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not trying to pile on, but if you have any info about uconn favoring a gor, I'm all ears... Mostly because I'd be very... Apprehensive?... If that were the case.

pj

Reaction Score
Question. Does anyone know the magnitude (+/-) of either or both the GoR increment and/or the penalties a departing school would incur if bound by a GoR?

No. That will come out in the negotiations. Bidders will say how much they're willing to pay with and without a GoR; the Big East will decide if it's worth it. Probably there will be some limited GoR. It worked for the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Not trying to pile on, but if you have any info about uconn favoring a gor, I'm all ears... Mostly because I'd be very... Apprehensive?... If that were the case.

Lets hope that UCONN has the smarts to favor a GOR. Every school in the Big East should favor it.

Right now we are in "No man's land" and getting shot at from every angle, we need to jump into a trench, even if it is the NBE trench.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't see how you get these schools to sign a GOR. All the valuable schools have their eyes on other conferences. With the Big 12 sitting at 10 teams, too many schools are in play for 'promotions' to sign a GOR.

Reaction Score
I don't see how you get these schools to sign a GOR. All the valuable schools have their eyes on other conferences. With the Big 12 sitting at 10 teams, too many schools are in play for 'promotions' to sign a GOR.

The only way to get a promotion is to force the issue. Only the strong will get rewarded.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
There may be no other alternative but to lock in to the NNBE... That's just not my preferred outcome.

I'm not quite sure how GoR talk forces anyone else's hand.

Reaction Score
The only way to get stability is force all the schools to sign GOR. Without it, we will always be wondering who will bail next from the conference. The only way UCONN should sign it if and only if the BE get a deal equal or better than the ACC deal. I believe the network will want GOR in order to pay big dollars. This might be the only way to secure UCONN's future. The other option is not to sign it and pray someone give us an invite. If UL get poached by the B12 and some Western schools get poached by B12/PAC-12, UCONN could be in even worse situation than today.

I think a GOR of 5-10 years would be a good way to go. Most likely, it will be same length as the TV deal.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I don't have the link, but I believe it was a Hartford Courant article written by a writer named Jacobs who covers you guys. I may be wrong but I think that's where this talk originated from.

Reaction Score

why not sign a GOR? every other pertinent detail ( like waiting periods) to any of these conference contracts have been thrown out, so why not sign it? if we really want to leave we'll pay another $5mil to do so, which will be money well spent, and that will be that

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Sorry, I don't have the link, but I believe it was a Hartford Courant article written by a writer named Jacobs who covers you guys. I may be wrong but I think that's where this talk originated from.
Gotcha. GoR was mentioned in his article in the Courant 5 days ago... It's his opinion that the Big East should explore a 5 year GoR. Of course, that's not the voice of UConn.

I get the benefits of a GoR, though.

My preferences would be:
1) Any other BCS league, or, failing that
2) Shorter term GoR in NNBE (up to 5 years)

I just cringe at the thought of a long term GoR to the new Big East. I want UConn to minimize the time they are associated with the NNBE, but I know there may not be alternatives at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom