Question for U Conn fans and fans of other teams. | The Boneyard

Question for U Conn fans and fans of other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Im a Irish fan and im also on a board of mostly all N.D. women's basketball fans. Before the WNBA season started they had a pool to guess what Mo Jeffs stats would be in her first season in the WNBA. I made a comment that i thought it was odd to have a pool about a former player from our biggest rivals team. Especially since a majority of the comments and predictions were that she would not do very well. I asked them how they would feel if they did the same on the Boneyard with a former Irish player? Anyway a few posters thought i was overreacting and saw nothing wrong with it. Just like to know what people over here think about it? Some of them are on this board to so im sure it will get back . Im not trying to stir the pot. Just curious what people think.

Reaction Score
Im a Irish fan and im also on a board of mostly all N.D. women's basketball fans. Before the WNBA season started they had a pool to guess what Mo Jeffs stats would be in her first season in the WNBA. I made a comment that i thought it was odd to have a pool about a former player from our biggest rivals team. Especially since a majority of the comments and predictions were that she would not do very well. I asked them how they would feel if they did the same on the Boneyard with a former Irish player? Anyway a few posters thought i was overreacting and saw nothing wrong with it. Just like to know what people over here think about it? Some of them are on this board to so im sure it will get back . Im not trying to stir the pot. Just curious what people think.
It's a little flattering that Irish fans care enough to have a pool and root for her not to do well. Other than that, who cares? BTW I hope Achonwa does well in the Olympics

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
As long as the conversation stays on basketball abilities and doesn't digress into a full on assault of that player's personality or physical appearance. Something similar happened on CockyTalk last year where a few fans were talking about a player and the conversation morphed into a discussion about the appearance of a player that played for one of our opponents. It was very disrespectful and tacky. Admins were quickly notified and the comments were deleted. There were a few permabans as well.

Reaction Score
I don't think that it is unusual at all. Both boards have a great deal of respect for and interest in the players of the other team. UConn and Nortre Dame are the new Tenn vs Uconn. ND has beaten Uconn over the past years more than every other team combined, and has lost by the closest margins. It is the one team that always has a real chance of beating UConn, and they know it.

Like Stanford, ND is always a threat, regardless of the level of talent, because of the superior coaching the players receive.

The Boneyard also has reports of the players of other teams, like Shoni, etc. because Boneyarders appreciate great players, regardless of the college.

On the two boards, there is nothing but admiration for the players of the other team; and, a perfectly understandable level of irritation concerning their head coaches.

Reaction Score
UConn and Nortre Dame are the new Tenn vs Uconn.

I don't think so. If we were in the same conference, yes.

Reaction Score

Welcome aboard. I agree with J66. It's flattering to have one of UConn's players with her own thread on a ND board. Especially considering it's relatively low level of activity. Itsasport paints a rather overly optimistic portrait of the two boards in question when it concerns their respective players and how they're described on the opposite board, imo. (Skylar D being one example )
I don't find it surprising that the few responses that were posted underestimated how Jefferson would do in the WNBA. After all this is the same board (with pretty much the same amount of responses) that declared that they would PREFER to not win the National Championship and have MM as their head coach rather than win the NC (last 4 in a row ) and have to have Geno as their head coach. I kid you not. Would the following statement ever be uttered in time and space ?
"Wow, it's nice that we won the last 4 NC's but I would give them all back and finish down the track if only we could have MM as our head coach" !!! I think not.

Reaction Score
I don't think that it is unusual at all. Both boards have a great deal of respect for and interest in the players of the other team. UConn and Nortre Dame are the new Tenn vs Uconn. ND has beaten Uconn over the past years more than every other team combined, and has lost by the closest margins. It is the one team that always has a real chance of beating UConn, and they know it.

Like Stanford, ND is always a threat, regardless of the level of talent, because of the superior coaching the players receive.

The Boneyard also has reports of the players of other teams, like Shoni, etc. because Boneyarders appreciate great players, regardless of the college.

On the two boards, there is nothing but admiration for the players of the other team; and, a perfectly understandable level of irritation concerning their head coaches.
UConn and Nortre Dame are the new Tenn vs Uconn.

I don't think so. If we were in the same conference, yes.
Help me here. Was UConn and Notre Dame supposed to be in the same conference ?(which we were), and now aren't; or was UConn and Tenn supposed to be in the same conference ?(which we never were.)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

In principle, I think it's great that fans on any board are discussing and debating and speculating on WNBA rookies from other schools. In general, that's an objectively good thing, because it shows passion and interest in the sport.

The fact that some of the posters on the ND board were taking a dim view of Jefferson's prospects probably may be an extension of the UConn-ND rivalry, but it's hard to say for sure to what extent that's the case. I personally find it distasteful and petty when people project ill wishes on former collegiate rivals at the professional level. For example, I'm a diehard UConn fan but I have always loved Jewell Loyd's game and energy, and I can't imagine myself wishing her to fail in the pros.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice thread and I agree SCGamecock - as long as it is about what happens on the basketball court it is what all fans discuss - how do our players stack up to their players, how does the coach do, what are the strategies. We may not like some of the comments on other boards like you and other non-Uconn fans may not like what we say about your players or coach. Personally I do not like Diggins game and antics on the court, as you may not like DT's, and I just stay out of the fray when I visit other boards, unless there is a factual error that I think needs to be corrected. But I tend to stay away from boards where the moderators do not delete sexist, or mean spirited attacks on stuff not to do with playing basketball.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In principle, I think it's great that fans on any board are discussing and debating and speculating on WNBA rookies from other schools. In general, that's an objectively good thing, because it shows passion and interest in the sport.

The fact that some of the posters on the ND board were taking a dim view of Jefferson's prospects probably may be an extension of the UConn-ND rivalry, but it's hard to say for sure to what extent that's the case. I personally find it distasteful and petty when people project ill wishes on former collegiate rivals at the professional level. For example, I'm a diehard UConn fan but I have always loved Jewell Loyd's game and energy, and I can't imagine myself wishing her to fail in the pros.
I agree wholeheartedly. In fact rooting for Kayla McBride, Jewel and Skylar has become one of my new pastimes.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I'm a diehard UConn fan but I have always loved Jewell Loyd's game and energy, and I can't imagine myself wishing her to fail in the pros.

See how fair-minded Boneyarders are? We even have an occasional poster that spells Jewell Loyd correctly. (Just occasionally.) ;)

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I agree wholeheartedly. In fact rooting for Kayla McBride, Jewel and Skylar has become one of my new pastimes.

upload_2016-7-28_6-14-36.jpeg

Reaction Score

Eh.....no big deal. But if you really want to have some fun over there post this article about Jewell Loyd.....

Jewell Loyd: Fighting Irish Trying to Clear Their Biggest Hurdle - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

They will soon move on from talking about a player from another team lol.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If it is about basketball Kayla McBride, Jewell, and Skylar will get much love here.
Skylar will get the least amount of love because she had the most success against UCONN. I have to disagree with both @UcMiami & @SCGamecock, if your start a thread here about Skylar's physical appearance, I would feel obligated to participate.
I would not necessarily be positive either, that Skylar bikini shoot was not revealing enough because I barely make out the tattoo- Just saying.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure I said Skylar Diggins wouldn't do well her rookie year too, so I obviously can't say I have a problem with them saying that about Mo.

At least I was right:cool:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
If it is about basketball Kayla McBride, Jewell, and Skylar will get much love here.
Skylar will get the least amount of love because she had the most success against UCONN. I have to disagree with both @UcMiami & @SCGamecock, if your start a thread here about Skylar's physical appearance, I would feel obligated to participate.
I would not necessarily be positive either, that Skylar bikini shoot was not revealing enough because I barely make out the tattoo- Just saying.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman