Quad 1 wins | The Boneyard

Quad 1 wins

Reaction Score
Indiana = no (not even Quad 2)
Texas = no
UNC = yes
Gonzaga = yes

These are subject to change
Well Indiana my take down Kansas and make our win look better..

Like watching Kansas where they don’t get every call in the 2nd half… Look like ordinary team on the road..

Reaction Score
Indiana choked unfortunately… Never seen a team like Kansas get so many breaks - they are a good team but they barely squeaked by a team we best by 20..

Reaction Score
Are the following wins considered quad one wins?

Indiana (Neutral)
Texas (Neutral)
North Carolina (Neutral)
Gonzaga (Neutral)
They are all good wins, 1-2 determined by how these teams do throughout the entire season. Its fluid situation. If indiana managed to beat kansas that would have helped. My guess, all but indiana will ultimately be quad 1

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
Warren Nolan has a nice summary sheet for all teams, including the definitions of the Quads based on H/N/A.

NET rankings are still in flux, but Kansas and Gonzaga will definitely finish Quad 1. As for Texas and Indiana, they'd have to finish top 50 NET to be Quad 1, which Texas probably will and Indiana probably will not (though the Big 10 SOS will give them chance to sneak into top 50 - they finished last year NET 30 despite going 22-11).

UNC is also currently a Quad 1 win and should stay there

Reaction Score
I wish they’d use Kenpom instead of net for quad wins. I think it’s more accurate

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Are the following wins considered quad one wins?

Indiana (Neutral)
Texas (Neutral)
North Carolina (Neutral)
Gonzaga (Neutral)

TX, UNC & the Zags will absolutely be Quad 1 wins in March, locks

IN will need to win a few conference games. Geez, it's like the whole conference has been picked the last two years. If they're getting at large bids, that means they're Quad 1

So I'm going with "yes", 4 Quad 1 wins

Reaction Score
It's amazing how underrated our opponents are in NET compared to the rankings and other metrics. Kansas in the teens, UNC and Gonzaga in the 30s, Indiana like 130. It's incredible we're #5 considering all that.

Reaction Score
Indiana choked unfortunately… Never seen a team like Kansas get so many breaks - they are a good team but they barely squeaked by a team we best by 20..
Kinda silly to not acknowledge one game was played at MSG while the other was in Bloomington with their fans in a frenzy

Reaction Score
Kinda silly to not acknowledge one game was played at MSG while the other was in Bloomington with their fans in a frenzy
Even sillier to not acknowledge that MSG on that day was a neutral court. In fact, the Indiana fans were more vocal for long periods of that game. How do I know that? I was there.

Kansas has a lot of things happen yesterday to win that game.
Some was them rising to the occasion.

Others were weird bounces / calls that went their way.

Kansas did not look like top 5 team yesterday playing unranked team.

Reaction Score
Even sillier to not acknowledge that MSG on that day was a neutral court. In fact, the Indiana fans were more vocal for long periods of that game. How do I know that? I was there.

Kansas has a lot of things happen yesterday to win that game.
Some was them rising to the occasion.

Others were weird bounces / calls that went their way.

Kansas did not look like top 5 team yesterday playing unranked team.
You know who else was there, I was, and MSG atmosphere was not even comparable to the crowd on full tilt in Bloomington. Not sure how playing in a true road environment is not seen as more difficult than a neutral game but this is the boneyard so why am I not surprised that this is even being argued.

Reaction Score
You know who else was there, I was, and MSG atmosphere was not even comparable to the crowd on full tilt in Bloomington. Not sure how playing in a true road environment is not seen as more difficult than a neutral game but this is the boneyard so why am I not surprised that this is even being argued.
I am not only surprised it’s being argued but surprised it even came up as a topic.

Did you see the game Indy/Kansas? That was the game i watched and commented on.

Reaction Score
Per @Storrs South , here is how the rest of the schedule looks in terms of quads.

Despite being the only 4/5 stretch of Q1s, the most difficult 5-game stretch is actually the last 5 starting Feb 20th which only has 3 Q1s, but has significantly more difficult games (2 high end Q1As). As projected by KenPom the former has a 28% chance for us to sweep, while the last 5 is only 17%.

The game before that last 5 stretch (home Marquette) is also tied for the 4th most difficult game, so that 6-game stretch is by far the most difficult stretch on the schedule.

Though the expected wins from those 5 stretches are almost exactly even with the latter being less likely to go undefeated but more likely to get at least a couple wins.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So a few days ago, we were sitting at 3-1 in quad 1 games. Today we're 3-2. Which at first doesn't look as good, but I guess the Seton Hall loss now looks better as a Q1 than a Q2. Right?? Weird...

Reaction Score
So a few days ago, we were sitting at 3-1 in quad 1 games. Today we're 3-2. Which at first doesn't look as good, but I guess the Seton Hall loss now looks better as a Q1 than a Q2. Right?? Weird...
St. John’s is very close to being a Q1 win and it’s possible Texas can nudge up there too.

Yes, Q1 loss is much better for us.

Reaction Score
I mean a Q1 loss should look better than a Q2 loss, obviously?

Reaction Score
I mean a Q1 loss should look better than a Q2 loss, obviously?
For computers, a Q1 loss is strictly better than a Q2 loss.

Sometimes, humans get biased in how they look at it.

4-0 Q1, 5-1 Q2.
vs.
4-1 Q1, 5-0 Q2.

Your brain probably wants to take the first option. Putting the loss in the "less important" quadrant. The "eliteness" of the undefeated or gaudy Q1 record can be considered superior to being undefeated in Q2 with a better loss. It's not, but sometimes people perceive it that way.

Reaction Score
For computers, a Q1 loss is strictly better than a Q2 loss.

Sometimes, humans get biased in how they look at it.

4-0 Q1, 5-1 Q2.
vs.
4-1 Q1, 5-0 Q2.

Your brain probably wants to take the first option. Putting the loss in the "less important" quadrant. The "eliteness" of the undefeated or gaudy Q1 record can be considered superior to being undefeated in Q2 with a better loss. It's not, but sometimes people perceive it that way.
Makes sense..... And now when we win @ Xavier, that's a Quad 1 win because its a road win vs a #52 NET rated team. Yay!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom