QB discussion ... | Page 7 | The Boneyard

QB discussion ...

Reaction Score
We threw to the sidelines so much, Wagner started jumping routes. After the pick 6 they almost got another one. I was in the 2nd row on the lower level blue seats, so the view kind of sucked as far as appreciating what was going on the field sometimes.

I do hope that was our vanilla playcalling for scouting purposes, but with Edsall that may be as exotic as we get.
The offense did not attack the middle of the field through the air throughout the entire game. I was disappointed in our offensive game plan. Its early, but Giufre didn't show me much as our new offensive coordinator.

Reaction Score
I thought he underthrew a wide open Drayton that almost led to a pick, and overthrew every deep ball. But 1st game in years could have been shaking off the rust. He will have to make faster decisions though. Seemed hesitant on a few plays. The play is only going to get faster.
True. But give that DB credit. He did have to dive and made a great pbu there.

But seeing Drayton, a freshman get some quality time out there and produce is cause for optimism. Add the other two guys and you have four receivers that can make something happen.

Donaldson can be utilized more as an underneath guy. Someone you can get ahead of the chains with on first down.

There’s hope. The offense will look better

Reaction Score
Don't get the critics at all. I'm not ready to anoint him in anyway mainly because it was Wagner but outside of one very bad read on the pick 6, he nearly played his hand perfectly. It was a combination of Guifre et al and the Wagner secondary playing 10 yards off the ball that stifled his numbers and dealt him a crap hand to begin with. But I don't get the people who are knocking his numbers. He should've had a td pass to Skanes (that ball has to be caught at this level) and then he would've been something like 15/21 180 1 td and 1 pick. That's over 71% passing and over 8.5 y/a. To me he got the ball out in time, he threw the ball strong and accurately on the short to intermediate routes (he does need to work on the long ball placement on the few chances he had he left it inside the field of play too much, needs to be on the sideline) but other than that how can people be so critical. He even runs a little better than I thought.

Reaction Score
Don't get the critics at all. I'm not ready to anoint him in anyway mainly because it was Wagner but outside of one very bad read on the pick 6, he nearly played his hand perfectly. It was a combination of Guifre et al and the Wagner secondary playing 10 yards off the ball that stifled his numbers and dealt him a crap hand to begin with. But I don't get the people who are knocking his numbers. He should've had a td pass to Skanes (that ball has to be caught at this level) and then he would've been something like 15/21 180 1 td and 1 pick. That's over 71% passing and over 8.5 y/a. To me he got the ball out in time, he threw the ball strong and accurately on the short to intermediate routes (he does need to work on the long ball placement on the few chances he had he left it inside the field of play too much, needs to be on the sideline) but other than that how can people be so critical. He even runs a little better than I thought.
True. That pass to Drayton needed to be more over the shoulder to the sidelines

Reaction Score
IMO, Beaudry decided who he was throwing the ball to before the ball was snapped. He never went through his progressions to find the open receiver. Hopefully the coaching staff will work with him on that. Several times he had a receiver in 1-on-1 coverage and he didn't even look over at him to see if the receiver beat the coverage.

Reaction Score
IMO, Beaudry decided who he was throwing the ball to before the ball was snapped. He never went through his progressions to find the open receiver. Hopefully the coaching staff will work with him on that. Several times he had a receiver in 1-on-1 coverage and he didn't even look over at him to see if the receiver beat the coverage.

He had, I believe, Donovan Williams sitting wide open in the middle of the field on his pick 6. Nobody within 10 yards of him. He knew who he was throwing the ball to the entire time and even stared him down from the snap to the throw.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We are running because our QBs and WRs are not great. In the air doesn’t give us the best chance to win with the tools we’ve got... it’s simply a matter of playing to our strengths.

That can change if Beaudry develops and we get our top WRs on the field... but don’t expect miracles.

Reaction Score
Call me crazy but when you don’t have two presumed starters that are legit fast that you worked with all Fall it changes things. I’m sure his confidence was challenged a bit with the backups in the game- and this does speak to our depth issues at that position- but I did see him look to throw

There just wasn’t anyone open. It’s not like he was missing wide open guys. The one safety was bracketing everyone that tried to run deep and the other safety was cheating into the box all night. At first I thought the line was suspect but in reality Wagner sold out against the run the entire game and we still ran for over 200 yards.

Get our two receivers back that can stretch the field and he will at least have a more balanced option. Can’t say he will throw the ball better but at least he’ll have more to work with. I did see a QB that has pocket presence, willing to stand in there and can deliver the ball- and run if need be.

I think we’ll be fine there
Agree with everything you said, I like Beaudry and it's good have him on the team. My beef with the coaching is that UConn had a red shirt freshman QB sitting on the bench who is far more talented than Beaudry.

Reaction Score
Before reading all the above comments ... I thought Beaudry has lots of athletic tools. The biggest criticism is in Giuffre playcalling. Having said that, Beaudry is nothing special - yet. Wasn’t explosive; didn’t make horrible mistakes (ok floated a pass easily intercepted); and looked in command.

I think we see Krajewski some

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
If were gonna be bad again (bad meaning winning 3 games at the max), which appears likely, put in Steven Krajewski - he's the future. Let him struggle, gain experience, and hopefully be better for it in the years to come. So many college teams are playing true and RS freshman, but ole Randy is hellbent on playing a D2 grad transfer, basically because he's older IMO

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We are running because our QBs and WRs are not great. In the air doesn’t give us the best chance to win with the tools we’ve got... it’s simply a matter of playing to our strengths.

That can change if Beaudry develops and we get our top WRs on the field... but don’t expect miracles.

I agree with this on principle, but it doesn't mean that you can't scheme for the QB to be successful.

Last night, he showed that he is relatively accurate between 5 - 15 yards, even if he isn't doing a great job on progressions. Also, he showed early in the game that he could at least run a little bit. So design some screen passes. Design some TE hitches. Design some roll outs. Get him involved in the game to open up the run.

I'm not expecting to let him loose like he's Dan Marino. But it can't be 3 handoffs up the middle and a punt anymore...

Reaction Score
If were gonna be bad again (bad meaning winning 3 games at the max), which appears likely, put in Steven Krajewski - he's the future. Let him struggle, gain experience, and hopefully be better for it in the years to come. So many college teams are playing true and RS freshman, but ole Randy is hellbent on playing a D2 grad transfer, basically because he's older IMO
I thought that would’ve been Randy’s game plan for him last year, Give him some experience in four games and then red shirt him. That would be a huge advantage for him this year.

Reaction Score
I am willing to give this kid a little more time but in my mind, Steven Krajewski should be the starter.
I hope Steven Krajewski is ready soon. I know in one of our scrimmages Steve threw BACK to BACK INTERCEPTIONS which doesn't help you get on the field easily.That may have something to do with Randy not starting him quite yet?

Reaction Score
Krajewski is gonna play this year at QB. The worst thing for the Program & him is to put him in a game way before he’s ready. (See Boyle)

Even if Beaudry improves ... I see the team needing a Krajewski to play. A quarter to a start - somewhere somehow. Watch the kid and challenge him every practice. We’ve got to get some good QB play.

Reaction Score
I don't know how Beaudry can fix his accuracy. He may be able to improve that and perhaps not. One thing he needs to learn is to put a little air under the ball. He likes to throw a line drive. That may be while Edsall didn't let him throw in the middle of the field.

He may have had some nerves last night, that would be human. Hopefully he will improve as he gets more comfortable.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Best possible answer is that he was overexcited, and overthrew nearly everything,
I wonder if Brown is faster and his being out threw his timing off.

Reaction Score
Thursday night:
Trevor Lawrence 13-23, 168yds, 1 TD, 70.6 QBR
Mike Beaudry 14-21, 158yds, 0 TD, 57.6 QBR

(sarcasm) Imagine having the best QB in college football and only throwing it 23 times? Coach must be an old school idiot that can't win in todays game.

Reaction Score
I understand playing Beaudry to start season but I definitely believe Steven Krajewski needs to play and get comfortable and confident for upcoming years.

Reaction Score
Thursday night:

(sarcasm) Imagine having the best QB in college football and only throwing it 23 times? Coach must be an old school idiot that can't win in todays game.

Clemson won 52-14
Lawrence was out at the half and his back up chase Brice threw another 9 attempts I believe it was

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thursday night:

imagine thinking this is some sort of sharp commentary

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Thursday night:

They had over 400 yards rushing and Lawrence played a little over a half.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom