Q to step up! | The Boneyard

Q to step up!

Reaction Score
Aubrey's injury was heart breaking as many have posted. We wish her well.
It seems sudden, but Q is the next player up! I mentioned in a post last week that Q would be next in as a contributor. Also, Geno has mentioned recently that he has high hopes for Q. To many it looks obvious since there are only 3 other healthy players to choose from.
I am not a Pollyanna type who looks for pie in the sky. Being realistic and objective is part of my outlook here.

One - No one can replace Aubrey --- Defensively that is true.
Two - However, Q can replace AG's point production. Q currently scores "more per minute" on the court than Aubrey. Q can shoot the three better - she is at 42% which is very good.
Three - Rebounding per minute is very close, but Aubrey is slightly better - 6 to 5.
Four - Aubrey only plays half the game--21-22 minutes. AG averages 9.5 pts and 6 rebounds. In the Creighton game Q only played 16 minutes and scored 8 points and had 6 rebounds.
Five - Q is one of the quickest players (KK & Paige too). Q is the longest player. Q gets up with any other player. Q showed she can fluently run the floor on the break. Q can drive to the basket. Q does not mind mixing it up underneath.
Objectively, Q has shown these skills in games.

Geno mentioned that he wants to give Q practice time with the starters to get her ready for more. Q averages 12 minutes now and needs to move up to 20-22 to replace AG.

Ice needs to play at least 15 minutes to cover the 7th player in. Amari is now the 8th player. Can she give 10 to 12 minutes? With the BE schedule for the next 3 weeks & 3 days (before Notre Dame comes in) the competition should be at a level that those minutes would be realistic.

Is there really any other alternative?

Reaction Score
AG's injury does not impact Amari's role, at least in close games against other elite teams.

It may impact Ice and Q. They both need to step up bigtime. Starters are going to need to be in shape for 35+ minutes each.

Reaction Score
Everybody is going have to step up for a while. Arnold and is going to have to stay out of foul trouble early, which will let Bueckers play the 4 for even longer stretches. Griffin is so disruptive in the passing lanes.

Nika is also going to have to step up. She needs to be healthy and play like the PG we all know she can play like. She has to limit the fouls as well and as a team, they have to take care of the ball.

I think Samuels can help a lot, but she is going to have trouble with physical teams. However, her shooting ability could help keep things open for Edwards, and the lane open for drives by Arnold, Shade and Bueckers. On the offensive end, they will be alright.

Aubrey just brings another level to the defense and her ability to get rebounds out of her space will be missed.

Reaction Score
It seems sudden, but Q is the next player up! I mentioned in a post last week that Q would be next in as a contributor. Also, Geno has mentioned recently that he has high hopes for Q. To many it looks obvious since there are only 3 other healthy players to choose from.
I am not a Pollyanna type who looks for pie in the sky. Being realistic and objective is part of my outlook here.

Two - However, Q can replace AG's point production. Q currently scores "more per minute" on the court than Aubrey. Q can shoot the three better - she is at 42% which is very good.
Three - Rebounding per minute is very close, but Aubrey is slightly better - 6 to 5.
Four - Aubrey only plays half the game--21-22 minutes. AG averages 9.5 pts and 6 rebounds. In the Creighton game Q only played 16 minutes and scored 8 points and had 6 rebounds.
Five - Q is one of the quickest players (KK & Paige too). Q is the longest player. Q gets up with any other player. Q showed she can fluently run the floor on the break. Q can drive to the basket. Q does not mind mixing it up underneath.

Geno mentioned that he wants to give Q practice time with the starters to get her ready for more. Q averages 12 minutes now and needs to move up to 20-22 to replace AG.

Ice needs to play at least 15 minutes to cover the 7th player in. Amari is now the 8th player. Can she give 10 to 12 minutes? With the BE schedule for the next 3 weeks & 3 days (before Notre Dame comes in) the competition should be at a level that those minutes would be realistic.

In part it’s not Aubrey vs Q. It's that UCONN is looking to play fast. Now UCONN has one less player that can play very fast. One less player that helps minimize foul trouble. This injury slows UCONN down (we'll see how much.). You mention more minutes for Ice and maybe even Amari. If they get more minutes, it means the team slows down. If this happens - we'll see good or bad.

Secondly, as mentioned above not all Aubrey vs Q. Aubrey sometimes replaces Aalyiah. So, losing Aaliyah’s sometime backup Aubrey vs Ice.

Third, which relates to the 2 above, the times that both Aubrey and Aaliyah played together, they have also been effective. there's a reason why Aubrey was 6th off the bench vs Q being 7. And when Aubrey plays with Aaliyah, she gives UCONN another inside scorer. Now, with Q. UCONN is much more perimeter, unless Q shows off also her slashing. She did make a beauty slash move.

Fourth, using "per minute" data means very little. For example, if Aubrey is playing more minutes with both Paige and Aaliyah on the floor vs Q playing less with them (unless there is a large lead) then the significance of point per minute comparison is irrelevant. Similar with rebounds. It depends who they are competing with (i.e. Starters vs Second String). And if you play more with Aaliyah, you are less likely to get more Defensive Rebounds etc.

Reaction Score
Cadence will need to sub for four players, so she may get 25-30 minutes a game. The way Geno has structured the offense, Ice is purely a sub at the five. He just lost the press as a weapon, but all those kids have great motors. The season is far from over unless there is another injury.

Reaction Score
AG's injury does not impact Amari's role, at least in close games against other elite teams.

It may impact Ice and Q. They both need to step up bigtime. Starters are going to need to be in shape for 35+ minutes each.
We lose allot with Q because she is not ready to be a starter. Her shooting is not there yet. She will be a good player down the road but not yet. She is no Aubrey !! Not yet.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Q and Ice will play more minutes.

And both must play within themselves. As Geno has said of KK and Ash, do what you do. Neither are Aubrey and we should not expect them to do what Aubrey could. Geno and staff will work it out.

I expect nothing from Amari. I think Ines will get more minutes. She may surprise us.

Reaction Score

I agree with your alternatives.... May I add... can Caroline contribute? outside shooting, height 8'2" and
overall basketball skills. ICE will fill in, but no one can replace Aubrey's disruptive presence.

Reaction Score
I have been talking Q up for a while. I think she will have games where we all go wow and then she will have some freshmen games. I love her upside and she has the nicest form on her jumper I have seen.
Ice looked like a player who can help us yesterday. She was hustling and rebounding and working on position down low. She was switching properly on defense and seemed like a totally different player.
I think Ines will get some more minutes and I think she will do the job with a little more confidence.
I am amazed what Geno has done with now 4 freshmen getting major minutes. It is a credit to him and his coaching staff. Go huskies!!!!!

Reaction Score
It is not just more minutes for Q and Ice. It is more minutes for everybody. In a way Aubrey's ability to play the 3 or 4 enabled Geno to keep the rest of the rotation's players minutes reasonable. We do not have players with overextended minutes yet, but we probably will now.

Unless Amari becomes a factor (unlikely), an 8 player rotation goes to 7. One reason the minutes have been more modest this year is because we are aggressively defending the ball on the perimeter and full court for most if not all of the game. There were many times in the prior two years when we had a short rotation with heavy minutes for all the starters due to injury. That kind of pressing defense was not a viable option when managing minutes is the top priority.

We may be in a situation where the strategy that has worked well recently, is hard to continue if our starter's minutes jump up to the mid 30's per game instead of where they are now. On the other hand if Q and Ice are players that Geno is comfortable enough with to eat up all of Aubrey's minutes then maybe not much changes from a strategic stand point.

Our injury plagued years have also handcuffed Geno's options from a strategy standpoint. With a very short rotation you may want to make a situational substitution, more offense, defense, rebounding, whatever as the game dictates but can't because you have to manage the timing of minutes so carefully. It is what it is, hopefully Q and Ice can minimize the damage.

Reaction Score
Not to worry oldhusky, we have young legs, big and brave hearts, talent galore and coaches who have been through this injury problem. We also have a conference schedule that will allow for enough shifts to fill most of the big shoes of Griffin. Hoping for some good injury news to boot.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Yes. But both are freshmen and Q is already doing reasonably well compared to a whole lot of freshmen. Can ‘t compare them to juniors or seniors. They happen to be around with 2 other freshmen who aren’t plsying like most first year players and Ice I suspect is still getting over worrying about her injury. I thought she did the things last night that she is needed most for rebounding especially. Her offense is secondary for what she needs to do. It was her best game.

Reaction Score
Everybody is going have to step up for a while. Arnold and is going to have to stay out of foul trouble early, which will let Bueckers play the 4 for even longer stretches. Griffin is so disruptive in the passing lanes.

Nika is also going to have to step up. She needs to be healthy and play like the PG we all know she can play like. She has to limit the fouls as well and as a team, they have to take care of the ball.

I think Samuels can help a lot, but she is going to have trouble with physical teams. However, her shooting ability could help keep things open for Edwards, and the lane open for drives by Arnold, Shade and Bueckers. On the offensive end, they will be alright.

Aubrey just brings another level to the defense and her ability to get rebounds out of her space will be missed.
All good points, especially regarding Nika. No more 2-4 bad passes and 2-3 unnecessary fouls a game would go a long way to offsetting the production UConn is losing.

Reaction Score
I agree with @hoophuskee and @oldhusky — if Aubrey can’t return the team loses its speed advantage and minutes go up. The press that’s worked so well lately may become unsustainable.

Q is a decent substitute for Aubrey’s offense, but she is not the shutdown defender Aubrey is. At least not yet.

Also, the small lineup we’ve all been pleasantly surprised by of late relied on Aubrey supplying the muscle. Ice has the muscle but not the speed and Q may have the speed but not the muscle for that role.

But enough of my moaning. The freshmen are going to be asked to pick up even more of the slack. What an incredible opportunity for them! They’ve surprised us before and they may do so again.

One other player who may get an opportunity now is Inês. She’s not playing at the level of the freshmen, and she often floundered last season, but she also showed us a few things with grit and determination.

Finally, until I hear otherwise, I’m going to hold out hope that this is only a sprain and that Aubrey might return. I watched the replays (over and over) and saw where she grabbed her leg, and it’s not encouraging. But I’m going to cling to this hope for as long as I can.

Reaction Score
And until they know definitively, Aubrey's injury may not be a season-ending thing. Admittedly, though, it didn't look good.

Reaction Score
Six months ago the talk was having 14 players who can play and it is down to 7-8. That is an amazing change in team dynamics in a bad way. The players that are starting are still healthy but they can't afford any other down time from anyone. Ice is capable and will need to step up and Q should get more time too. Geno will reduce his rotation before it relies on other role players.

Reaction Score

FANtastic--Coach, what took you so long to get articulate? Every point on Q I agree with. However, there is and intensity about AG that precludes the game of Q. She, IMO, flies higher than Q. Under the board is hgher than Q (that I have seen). No doubt, Q shall be great--in time--however, the time is NOW.
It is one thing being the sub--quite another to be the "man" depended upon. Shall Q be that player? Geno needs more from the 3 sitters. Ines, way back when, showed some shooting and playing of the game--defending??? Amari has been beaten enough--she is what she is and as she is--so shall she remain.
If ICE does not stand up to this test--shame on her. This is the time she MUST prove the fanfare on which she arrived. She has the body to be an Edwards--few have Edwards drive.
Personally, I am devastated over Griffins injury--season injury, I hope nothing more. I call her a Pro's Pro because she plays all out and with vigor--her teammates knows she'll do what must be done--someone the team can count on--a PRO through and through! Yes, I like AG.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I agree with your alternatives.... May I add... can Caroline contribute? outside shooting, height 8'2" and
overall basketball skills. ICE will fill in, but no one can replace Aubrey's disruptive presence.
It will be quite a while before we can even start to think about Caroline contributing. I don't believe that she has been participating in practices since the trip to the Caymans. Even if she returned to practice this week, I am guessing that she would not be game ready much before February. But I really really doubt that she will be returning any time soon.

Reaction Score
Q will step up and do her part to help the team. I really like her length and that is going to help out big time since we are trapping more. Q will be able to play the passing lanes, get some deflections, and with the aggressive style of play, this will help her and the team in terms of getting out and running more.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
One stat that has to improve whether or not Aubrey will be playing, for Qadence and Ice is their fouling. Both are averaging 5 or more per 40 minutes. They seem to be foul magnets and this would need to change if we are expecting more minutes from either. I believe that right now at the current foul rate, if given more playing time, their per 40 minute rate would increase dramatically...

Reaction Score
We lose allot with Q because she is not ready to be a starter. Her shooting is not there yet. She will be a good player down the road but not yet. She is no Aubrey !! Not yet.
Aubrey wasn't a starter either, so she just has to come in and play her game with energy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom