Purvis Returning | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Purvis Returning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Awesome news. As the rational people on here have said, this is much needed depth and an outside scoring threat. If he commits himself to learning how to finish at the hoop better, that would make him all the more dangerous.

Reaction Score
Purvis isn't the problem with our offense. He's not a ball handler and he has some ugly misses, but he's a 44% FG 39% 3P guy that sticks to his man. He's going to be a grown man amongst much younger competition next year if he stays. I'll gladly take him back.

If you want to know why we can't score, look at the guy leading the team in FGA while shooting 38% and turning the ball over 2.5 times per game. Hamilton shouldn't be the focal point of our offense. It has killed us this year.

Reaction Score
I will go with the opinion that Purvis and the mercenary Sterling Gibbs were an awful mix. A mix that blew the #^@%# up on Ollie.

With a defined role Purv should not be a detriment.
Perfectly worded, "with a defined role". With the two young guards and Rodney playing a key role we can have a solid backcourt. I'm just praying Rodney is not featured as a go to guy along with DHam (assuming he's back). A high energy guy who defends, hits some 3s would be ideal. Hopefully DHam strongly improves his shot over the summer and can be the go to guy we sorely need. Rodney in a support role would be good.

Reaction Score
I like the sound of this, but I'd be willing to wait it out and hear him say this after the season is over, as opposed to indicating his return after the worst loss of the season. I remember Andre Drummond saying he was going to return to UConn after back-to-back losses vs. Seton Hall & Rutgers.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think its a great thing. Rodney is a great kid who accepted his role as a 6th man this year for the betterment of the team (well in theory it was supposed to be betterment, personally I think Ollie picked the wrong guy, it should have been Gibbs as 6th man). Hes tied with Miller for leading scorer and plays the best perimeter defense on the team.
Screw you guys who bash this kid. Rodney has some issues finishing in full court at times and foul shooting (but weve seen improvement). I expect him to have a real good season next year. He will kill people from 3 on Adams and Gilbert penetration. This is nothing but good news.

Rodney is WAY down the list of our issues this year.

No particular order

1) Brimah - Like the kid, but there is no doubt that other than the home SMU game that we were a better team when he was a injured cheerleader. Look at the defensive numbers before and after return. Hes lost and we would do better with him coming off bench even next year.
2) Gibbs - The biggest fail of the season. Not entirely on him, just a terrible fit for our team as we stand. Ollie staying married to him for so long has been mind scratching.
3) Hamilton - the most frustrating player I can recall. He has ALL the tools. But he cannot put them together. And he is a porous defender. flashes of brilliance followed by stretches of stupidity. Plus he is not a leader. His slumped shoulder routine is getting old. Time to man up Daniel.
4) KO and staff - bad substitutions. Non existent player development. Failure to motivate. on and on

Purvis is not even close to the worst of our problems.

Reaction Score
I like the sound of this, but I'd be willing to wait it out and hear him say this after the season is over, as opposed to indicating his return after the worst loss of the season. I remember Andre Drummond saying he was going to return to UConn after back-to-back losses vs. Seton Hall & Rutgers.

Yeah, if history has taught us anything (and by us I mean me and TCF, since the rest of you cavemen still haven't learned this), it's that the least reliable indicator for what a kid is going to do is actual statements from that kid. I hope he comes back, though. It would put our backcourt in much better position.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

That's a completely different situation, though; Purvis isn't going to turn down lottery money to come back.

Reaction Score
Perfectly worded, "with a defined role". With the two young guards and Rodney playing a key role we can have a solid backcourt. I'm just praying Rodney is not featured as a go to guy along with DHam (assuming he's back). A high energy guy who defends, hits some 3s would be ideal. Hopefully DHam strongly improves his shot over the summer and can be the go to guy we sorely need. Rodney in a support role would be good.

Again, the idea that players with 2 years under their belts at UConn can't improve is questionable, to say the least.

We've been through this before. We've seen so many players in the past make huge leaps in their third years at UConn. This board used to be filled with criticism of Shabazz Napier and Deandre Daniels.

On the other hand, we have also seen players regress in the past. Josh Boone, Alex Oriakhi.

In other words, it can go both ways. The idea that these kids are finished products though is questionable.

Reaction Score
Let me clarify: I like the kid, and he has a place on the team next year in the proper role. As others have stated, he should be defending the 3 and knocking down open jumpers. He should NOT be driving to the rim and getting fouled or handling the ball. If he is relied upon to do that next year he will hurt us, unless he works on his game a lot this summer in that regard.

Reaction Score
That's a completely different situation, though; Purvis isn't going to turn down lottery money to come back.
True, but my main point was players say things after devastating losses that they don't really mean.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
It probably won't happen but he should be our 6th man ( John Gwynn type) next year. Even if it that doesn't happen I'm glad he's back.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You're all out of your minds if you don't want Purvis back next year. He's one of our best on ball defenders and scoring 12 points per game with elite athleticism. He lacks the focus, heart and basketball IQ to ever become a Husky great; but him coming back is essential.
Pair this with the post that directly preceded it and you've got your kick off to an improbable 10 game winning streak and NC #5, eh?

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm not too worried about Purvis coming back. Just his on ball defense alone makes me happy he'll be returning. And I agree with whoever said that when we have our 2 PG system back it'll take some pressure off of him to open up for 3s. Lets just get Gibbs out of here, he's a cancer wherever he goes.

Now Hamilton is a completely different animal. If this guy doesn't improve his defense, turnover & FG% we are doomed. Wouldn't mind seeing him leave and bring in Larrier to fill the void.

Reaction Score
Expect Purvis to see 10 minutes a game if true. (Less than Omar this season.) We have high level guys coming next year, who are able to finish at the rim and shoot when it makes sense. I was hoping Rodney would take his chances in Europe after this year. Disappointing that he will be back honestly. Love his attitude, and maybe leadership? Hate his game. It is so flawed, i don't care if he's our leading scorer. Thats probably why were 19-10 and in 6th place in the AAC. From balls ending up in the 4th row after a simple drive to the basket, to too many ill-taken threes, I'll take my chances with the guys we got next year.

A (hopefully much improved) D-Ham
An improved Adams
Larrier (who is most likely better than Purvis)
Gilbert who from by all accounts sounds like an absolute stud

Theres 4 guys who will be in front of him from the start of the year. Expect Purvis to come in for some time early in the year- but once these guys develop (and if Vance Jackson adjusts quick enough as well) expect Purvis to ride pine. Like he should be. He won't bring much next year. Guys are just going to be better than him.

Trash me all you want for trashing Rodney- but the kid ain't UConn special- and never has been. Thanks for transferring and giving your all here, it wasn't good enough.

Reaction Score
You're all out of your minds if you don't want Purvis back next year. He's one of our best on ball defenders and scoring 12 points per game with elite athleticism. He lacks the focus, heart and basketball IQ to ever become a Husky great; but him coming back is essential.
Speaking of his "elite athleticism", where does that show on the offensive end other than when he's able to get out in transition? I remember a couple signature dunks in traffic last season but nothing like that this year. I think one of the reasons his missed layups are so glaring is because he settles for them, instead of going harder to the rim and throwing down dunks. Where has the power in his game gone?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I was wrong about this, and I am pleasantly surprised. All you folks who are booing this news are the worst kind of reactionary s. He is most definitely "UConn special", and those trashing him as less than such do indeed deserve to be trashed back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits