Purvis on DHam doubters | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Purvis on DHam doubters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
In the end, I feel my perceived contract with DHAM (and any player) was that he'd come to Uconn, (a) work hard, (b) get better, (c) help the team, and (d) leave when ready as determined by the coaching staff that helped him develop. More so than any other player, he has not come through on (d), has a little more (b) in him, and certainly has the ability to provide some (c) next year for a team that feels a bit vulnerable in light of not being in a big conference.

That's your problem there: you don't get to dictate what a kid should get out of college. He shouldn't make his decisions based on what fans think he should do.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
In the end, I feel my perceived contract with DHAM (and any player) was that he'd come to Uconn, (a) work hard, (b) get better, (c) help the team, and (d) leave when ready as determined by the coaching staff that helped him develop. More so than any other player, he has not come through on (d), has a little more (b) in him, and certainly has the ability to provide some (c) next year for a team that feels a bit vulnerable in light of not being in a big conference.
Yikes... There is no "contract" when any player comes to school between them and any fan. And it's a beyond silly notion to think there is. Amateur athletes don't owe you a thing.

Reaction Score

This sums up a lot of what's wrong with this board, this silly feeling that you as a fan are entitled to anything from these kids.

Incidentally, what's your obligation under this "contract" you think you have with Hamilton?

P.S. Tell me you don't seriously think that part of a kid's decision-making calculus should be the fact that next year's team might "feel a bit vulnerable in light of not being in a big conference" because if you actually feel that way you have a borderline insane sense of what's important in these life decisions these kids are making.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don't think his response indicates he's thin skinned. He has as much right as anyone to speak his mind.

No! Those college kids shouldn't upset middle-aged men that are insulting their friends!

Reaction Score
The athletes don't even have a guarantee of a scholarship for 4 years, so why would anyone think that they have an obligation to us?

Reaction Score
Ouch. Tough crowd. Yes, I posted that as a Uconn fan, I'm pretty unhappy with DHAM and I'm not necessarily rooting for his bball career (well, I kinda am to help future recruiting, but no where near as much as many other Huskies). I referred to a "perceived contract" between the team/players that I root for and myself - and got chewed on by a few ultra-literal posters who suggest that I actually believe in the contract, or that these players care what I think.

I was just voicing an opinion not too dissimilar to a number of peers.

Rico444 stated "That's your problem there: you don't get to dictate what a kid should get out of college." I know I don't get to dictate what a kid should get out of college, but I should, as a fan, get to dictate who I root for and why. He doesn't really meet my criteria.

BUHusky reminded me "There is no "contract" when any player comes to school between them and any fan". No, I know there is not. But I suspect there are certain criteria that all of us demand of the team/players or you wouldn't be a fan. I was just trying to state mine using a "perceived contract" as a conceptual model.

BigErnMacCraken, I "don't seriously think that part of a kid's decision-making calculus should be the fact that next year's team might "feel a bit vulnerable in light of not being in a big conference". I was just stating another of the criteria that made this fan less-than-thrilled with DHAM's decisions. So many other Huskies made decisions that made me want to root for them forever, especially when conference realignment threatened the program, and DHAM didn't.

Peace.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Can you imagine having to physically socialize with these nincompoops? The internet is great for so many reasons but actually shielding the normal from the insane is easily number one.

"You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody'scrazy." - Charles Manson

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Ouch. Tough crowd. Yes, I posted that as a Uconn fan, I'm pretty unhappy with DHAM and I'm not necessarily rooting for his bball career (well, I kinda am to help future recruiting, but no where near as much as many other Huskies). I referred to a "perceived contract" between the team/players that I root for and myself - and got chewed on by a few ultra-literal posters who suggest that I actually believe in the contract, or that these players care what I think.

I was just voicing an opinion not too dissimilar to a number of peers.

Rico444 stated "That's your problem there: you don't get to dictate what a kid should get out of college." I know I don't get to dictate what a kid should get out of college, but I should, as a fan, get to dictate who I root for and why. He doesn't really meet my criteria.

BUHusky reminded me "There is no "contract" when any player comes to school between them and any fan". No, I know there is not. But I suspect there are certain criteria that all of us demand of the team/players or you wouldn't be a fan. I was just trying to state mine using a "perceived contract" as a conceptual model.

BigErnMacCraken, I "don't seriously think that part of a kid's decision-making calculus should be the fact that next year's team might "feel a bit vulnerable in light of not being in a big conference". I was just stating another of the criteria that made this fan less-than-thrilled with DHAM's decisions. So many other Huskies made decisions that made me want to root for them forever, especially when conference realignment threatened the program, and DHAM didn't.

Peace.
Sigh. I wasn't being literal in suggesting that you believe there is an actual contract. No, I was simply pointing out how grossly entitled and spoiled you are to even think about college athletes in terms of your perceived contract.

If you don't want to root for a guy because he isn't meeting the various bullet points of your perceived contract, that's your own call. But just know it's a foolish "conceptual model".

Reaction Score
The whole "most people don't have the guts to tell it like it is, I just don't drink the koolaid, I can't speak the truth without being called at hater" thing is pretty much a go to move for morons on the internet when others point out they're a moron on the internet. It would be difficult to be a bigger cliche.
And the 3 posts after his pretty much prove his point. Two of which are yours.

Reaction Score
And the 3 posts after his pretty much prove his point. Two of which are yours.
It's adorable that you think he has a point.

But I get it, as a moron on the internet it's important to defend one of your own.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The only thing he could do to disappoint me is to blow off his spring classes and hurt our APR.

Yep. And that's why I reserve the right to criticize. As long as DHam doesn't put UConn in APR hell, I hope he does well. But he does create an APR problem, he's dead to me.

Reaction Score
boy watching college kids play basketball sure is srs bsnss

Reaction Score

Totally agree Rodney!!

The whole year I was tough on DHAM, but he really came through at the end of the year and even if he didn't he played hard every mintue he was at Uconn and represented Uconn Men's basketball in a very positive way day in and day out.

DHAM we wish you the best of luck in the NBA from all of Uconn nation, can't wait to see you in the league!!

Now, Rodney please stay one more year and continue to show your greatness the Husky Way!!

#onemoreyearRP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits