Purvis is just a blank tonight | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Purvis is just a blank tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He took him out last night when they went 2 bigs and had Adams/Vital/Larrier(Jackson) on the perimeter. I can't stand the dude at all as a player but just based on the players available he has to play some minutes in order to get guys rest. Vital wasn't available in game 2 and Gilbert was gone after the 1st half of game 3, you want the rest of the guards to never catch their wind?

Purvis sat the first 2 minutes vs NE and played the next 38 and was a complete 0. His minutes should have gone to Vance vs NE who was stroking it and did more in his 18 mins than Hot Rod has done all year.

Then vs LMU Rod played 31 more atrocious minutes. Vance was not good but he only saw 8 minutes of action. On a team that can't score/shoot guess which player I want to see more of?

Reaction Score
I don't want to say he's been damaged goods since arriving at UConn, but there's no way you can tell me he retained the same athleticism he had at N.C. State. You'd never know from watching him that he was a McDonald's all-American.

Reaction Score
If I can find the time I would love to work Purvis out for 20 -30 minutes. I see some correctable things in his game. He is best when he positions his body properly prior to receipt of the ball.
Yeah, and I'm going to teach Brimah and Facey post moves and ball fakes......if I have the time.

Reaction Score
If I can find the time I would love to work Purvis out for 20 -30 minutes. I see some correctable things in his game. He is best when he positions his body properly prior to receipt of the ball.
Find that time Chief. You owe it to all of us.

C

Chief00

Yeah, and I'm going to teach Brimah and Facey post moves and ball fakes.if I have the time.
Quite frankly, in Chief's World if you teaching a 7 footer ball fakes you spending time on the wrong stuff. No disrespect just giving it to you straight.

Reaction Score
Purvis has to get his game going driving to the hoop and getting fouled, he cant hit a FT to save his life either, but at least that turns into fouls on the other teams guys
He does not have the handle or finishing ability. And, as you said, he can't even hit FTs.

Reaction Score

Maybe in 20 or 30 minutes you can show him the lines that mark out of bounds. You know when you catch the ball don't step on the line.

C

Chief00

Maybe in 20 or 30 minutes you can show him the lines that mark out of bounds. You know when you catch the ball don't step on the line.

That's always been a concern of mine. Quite frankly, it's more than just stepping on a line. It symbolizes a lack of mental focus and concentration. I thought that problem was behind him but it happened again a couple games ago.
I think Purvis plays best when a point guard makes decisions for him and he gets to certain spots ready to catch and shoot. The pass must be delivered as part of his shooting motion. In Rodney's case a pass off the mark will almost always result in a miss shot or a step out of bounds. True, he can fly up the court but his finishing is limited by a lack of a developed left hand and frankly relatively short arms.

Having stated some of his flaws above, I do agree with KO that for this team to be successful Purvis will have to play well, as I believe he can. I do like Purvis as a person.

Reaction Score
That's always been a concern of mine. Quite frankly, it's more than just stepping on a line. It symbolizes a lack of mental focus and concentration. I thought that problem was behind him but it happened again a couple games ago.
I think Purvis plays best when a point guard makes decisions for him and he gets to certain spots ready to catch and shoot. The pass must be delivered as part of his shooting motion. In Rodney's case a pass off the mark will almost always result in a miss shot or a step out of bounds. True, he can fly up the court but his finishing is limited by a lack of a developed left hand and frankly relatively short arms.

Having stated some of his flaws above, I do agree with KO that for this team to be successful Purvis will have to play well, as I believe he can. I do like Purvis as a person.

So that might take longer than 20 or 30 minutes?

C

Chief00

So that might take longer than 20 or 30 minutes?

I try to be concise and to the point when instructing - what was your concentration span at age 22? I think there are 2 or 3 takeaways he could focus on. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Reaction Score
thread went from constructive criticism of one of our key players to a classic chief troll thread, posters gotta learn not to take bate smh.

Reaction Score
thread went from constructive criticism of one of our key players to a classic chief troll thread, posters gotta learn not to take bate smh.

Sorry James, just couldn't help myself.

Reaction Score
I try to be concise and to the point when instructing - what was your concentration span at age 22? I think there are 2 or 3 takeaways he could focus on. Rome wasn't built in a day.
God I wish you had the ability to know where the line is and how to not cross it. So much troll potential reduced to nothing because of hack execution.

Reaction Score
In fact, he addressed his poor start to his teammates in a players-only meeting in Los Angeles the other day, assuming full responsibility.

"I told them myself, I have to play better, and they know that," he said. "I'm taking it like a man. People can say what they want to say, but I'm gonna play better. Trust me, I'm gonna play better."

The New Haven Register Blogs: UConn Men's Basketball Blog: Rodney Purvis reflects on loss of his "brother"; takes full accountability for his poor start

I like the accountability. Hopefully he's right.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
In fact, he addressed his poor start to his teammates in a players-only meeting in Los Angeles the other day, assuming full responsibility.

"I told them myself, I have to play better, and they know that," he said. "I'm taking it like a man. People can say what they want to say, but I'm gonna play better. Trust me, I'm gonna play better."

The New Haven Register Blogs: UConn Men's Basketball Blog: Rodney Purvis reflects on loss of his "brother"; takes full accountability for his poor start

I like the accountability. Hopefully he's right.
I like what he said. I'll avoid the easy rebuttal that it would be hard for him not to play better (oops, I guess I missed the high road there). I hope he can push through his "playing tight" and allow himself to slow down, relax, and just play. Like Brimah, he needs to be less emotional and play smart and focused, IMHO. Go Rodney, we need you real bad right now.

Reaction Score
Well he's playing hard tonight at the least. And hasn't caught a pass out of bounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom