Reaction Score
Purdue (34-4)
#2 in KenPom
66th in D1 experience
11th in minutes continuity (69.4%)

47th tallest team in D1

3rd in offensive efficiency
  • 2nd in A/FGM (65.6%)
  • 2nd w/ a 40.6 3P%; 235th in 3PA/FGA (35.2%)
  • 6th in offensive rebounding rate
  • 13th in FT rate
  • 57th w/ a 53.4 2P%
  • 154th in turnover prevention
    • 244th in steal prevention
  • 244th in offensive tempo (18 seconds/possession)

12th in defensive efficiency
  • 4th in FT prevention
  • 13th in defensive rebounding rate
  • 50th in opp. 3P% (31.6%)
    • Median in 3PA/FGA (36.9%)
  • 53rd in opp. 2P% (46.4%)
  • 95th in defensive tempo rate (17.2 seconds/possession)
  • 281st in A/FGM prevention (54.7%)
  • 342nd in turnover rate
Screen Shot 2024-04-07 at 8.57.13 AM.jpg

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:

Braden Smith 6’0 175 sophomore
  • #3 rated defender

Lance Jones 6’1 200 grad transfer from Southern Illinois
  • #2 rated defender
  • 2x MVC All-Defense

Fletcher Loyer 6’4 200 sophomore

Trey Kaufman-Renn 6’9 230 sophomore
  • Lowest rated starter on defense

Zach Edey 7’4 300 senior
  • Top-rated defender
  • 2x Big Ten All-Defense

KEY INJURIES - none

BENCH PIECES - 27.5% minutes (255th in nation)

Mason Gillis 6’6 225 senior
  • 4th rated defender in rotation

Camden Heide 6’7 205 freshman
  • Lowest rated defender

Myles Colvin 6’5 200 freshman
  • Purdue’s best athlete
Screen Shot 2024-04-07 at 8.54.26 AM.jpg

Center Stage. The Main Event. The Grand Finale.

It’s here.

After three straight seasons playing at least one week of the season as the #1 rated team in the nation, Purdue and Matt Painter has quieted the doubters as the team has finally achieved the level of success most think they should have last year.

Last season, the all-freshman backcourt wilted under FDU’s pressure defense but not only Braden Smith and Fletcher Loyer one year older and have all grown in their game, the addition of SIU grad transfer Lance Jones has been one of the most underrated portal pickups in the way his dogged defense helps Purdue become a more complete team and his combo guard abilities has taken tons of pressure off Fletcher Loyer, which in turn has helped him become a much more efficient scorer and more of a catch-and-shoot guy than the combo role Loyer had to play last season (3 turnovers against FDU vs 3 turnovers total so far in the tournament).

That being said, this new-look backcourt is better than last year’s (Morton is now out of the rotation and Brandon Newman has been solid, but not great at WKU), but smaller and, for UConn’s sake, clearer in how they can defend. Yes, Purdue shares the ball beautifully, but Braden Smith stirs the drink and Castle will be primed to not only spill, but shatter that drink glass.

Among Purdue’s starters, their backcourt makes up their only perimeter weapons as Trey Kaufman-Renn and Edey combine for just 26 three point attempts this season. Kaufman-Renn is an elite offensive rebounder, but if I’m Painter, Mason Gillis should get way more PT than Kaufman-Renn, due to his ability to stretch the floor, energy and ability to defend multiple positions much better than TK-R. He’s Purdue’s X-Factor. Heider is another bench option who reminds me a lot of Illinois’ Luke Goode – an excellently sized spacer, but as of right now, doesn’t do much more than that.

Edey vs. Clingan. What can I say that hasn’t been said? It’ll be a battle and Edey has gotten his, as he’s scored 20+ points in every game since February 10th. Of course, Clingan is exactly the type of center that matches up perfectly with Edey – a mammoth big who can battle down low and defend. Edey is tops in the nation at drawing 9.6 fouls/40 and is a solid 71.1% free-throw shooter. While I really like Castle on Smith, I wonder about UConn’s switching potentials whenever Edey screens on the pick-and-roll. If Castle needs to switch, I picture another UConn guard on Smith while Castle provides help defense alongside Clingan for pilfering opportunities. Of course, Samson Johnson will be needed and more exotic defensive strategies will be used for when UConn has a smaller lineup.

Let's Go!

Reaction Score
Edey has some of the best conditioning I've seen for a guy his size. He could play 40 minutes every game and not show any fatigue

But Clingan and Samson are some of the most agile guys I've seen at 6'10 and 7'2. Wonder if the gameplan will be to slow it down and run our stuff since it's gotten us this far, or to tell Clingan and Samson to RUN every time we get a board to force Edey to either chase them or give up dunks

NC St was bothering Braden Smith with their defense. I don't think he's ever seen a defender like Steph Castle. The best way to stop Edey from dominating is to make sure he can't get the ball. UConn needs to make sure they are making life hell for Purdue's ballhandlers

Reaction Score
That's weird that most of the field goals they give up are assisted despite allowing a low percentage of both 3s and 2s.

I guess it makes sense that they don't give up a lot of 1-on-1 stuff but that, when you do score, it's going to be off of passing.

I also didn't realize Braden Smith was that small. In fact, all of our guards should have decent size advantage and, if we're not doubling on Edey, those guys should have trouble getting clean looks from 3.

It's insane that they have 6 guys who average over 1 3-point attempt per game and 5 of them are over 40%. I wonder how much of that is their innate ability vs. the fact that they're getting wide open looks moving towards the basket off of kickouts from Edey.

Reaction Score
I would like to see ball pressure on their guards to chop the shot clock down every possession. Make them start their half court with 15 seconds or less. Then continue to over play and pressure the backcourt so it’s not easy for Edey to settle in on the block and take a patient close hook. Force Edey to play faster than he’s comfortable.

Reaction Score
I like our chances to get fingertips/deflections on entry passes if they throw them as telegraphed/sloppily as they did against NC State. Who does Cam defend?

Hope we can take away catch and shoot 3s

Reaction Score
Edey has some of the best conditioning I've seen for a guy his size. He could play 40 minutes every game and not show any fatigue

But Clingan and Samson are some of the most agile guys I've seen at 6'10 and 7'2. Wonder if the gameplan will be to slow it down and run our stuff since it's gotten us this far, or to tell Clingan and Samson to RUN every time we get a board to force Edey to either chase them or give up dunks

NC St was bothering Braden Smith with their defense. I don't think he's ever seen a defender like Steph Castle. The best way to stop Edey from dominating is to make sure he can't get the ball. UConn needs to make sure they are making life hell for Purdue's ballhandlers

In Clingan and Johnson, the Huskies have two bigs who can beat Edey down the court. That could make a big difference. Also, I believe Purdue can be pressured into TO's. Regardless, this is the game that everyone has wanted to see. Could be the most anticipated Final in a long time.

Reaction Score
Maybe not every time down the floor, but I expect to see some hard doubles on edey not just digs. I've seen Uconn double post players over the past few seasons quite a bit. Bit worried he is going to be able to carve out space early on DC because Edey has a lower center of gravity and weight advantage. Who knows though, DC could complete neutralize him by making those jump hooks very contested and cleaning the glass

IMO we should try straight up vs him and throw doubles occasionally but Hurley knows best

Reaction Score
Good point. Michael O'Connell did a really nice job pestering Smith (3 points, 5 turnovers!), but he's kinda an island defensively in the backcourt on NC State. Not only is Castle bigger, but he's a better defender and UConn's other guards I would trust on a defensive assignment more than Horne/Taylor/Morsell.
@Hey Adrien! out here working overtime doing the lord’s work.
Much appreciated!

caw

Reaction Score
That's weird that most of the field goals they give up are assisted despite allowing a low percentage of both 3s and 2s.

I guess it makes sense that they don't give up a lot of 1-on-1 stuff but that, when you do score, it's going to be off of passing.

I also didn't realize Braden Smith was that small. In fact, all of our guards should have decent size advantage and, if we're not doubling on Edey, those guys should have trouble getting clean looks from 3.

It's insane that they have 6 guys who average over 1 3-point attempt per game and 5 of them are over 40%. I wonder how much of that is their innate ability vs. the fact that they're getting wide open looks moving towards the basket off of kickouts from Edey.

From the games I've seen only Jones and Smith are really good/great shooters, in that they can create their own shot. Loyer is absurdly streaky (which can be dangerous for us, or them). Gillis is mainly an open shooter though he will bury them if open, he is outstanding when open. Renn doesn't really shoot a ton at all but is decent when wide open. Heide I haven't seen enough, but he has a rep as a shooter.

Reaction Score
Has Edey had any foul trouble this year? If so, how did it happen?

caw

Reaction Score
Punish Smith and Jones while UConn is on offense. Loyer is the only guard with any size and he's not overly physical.

Loyer is the one I would target if UConn were a one-on-one team. Jones and Smith are pesky and try hard. Loyer is just a pretty bad defender. The problem is Edey is behind him. All moot considering UConn isn't really a one-on-one team.

Reaction Score
How do we play Eden? He seems to be able to bully folks down and he’s bigger than DC. would it be crazy to try and front him? Doubt smith is used to passing over a guy 7’2

Reaction Score
If Clingan is able to stay on the court contain Edey one-on-one, it’s hard to see a path for Purdue to win. Edey will drop 20+. That’s just a given. It’s when you have to start helping on him and Purdue gets wide open looks from three that they become so dangerous.

Offensively, I’d expect we push tempo when possible. Edey is slow and both Clingan and SJ will beat him down the court. Hopefully we get a lot of transition looks for the bigs (or open shooters if their man has to cover for Edey).

Reaction Score
How do we play Eden? He seems to be able to bully folks down and he’s bigger than DC. would it be crazy to try and front him? Doubt smith is used to passing over a guy 7’2
They are shockingly bad at passing to Edey when he’s not being fronted and is being guarded by a 6’8 guy. But I doubt we see much fronting. Edey is just too big and would seal off Clingan too far from the basket imo.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
I feel like he chooses his spots to exert himself, and conserves energy much of the time. Still impressive to play almost the whole game at that size.

Reaction Score
Punish Smith and Jones while UConn is on offense. Loyer is the only guard with any size and he's not overly physical.
Spencer is on him. If they think Jones and Smith are going to be able to go up and over Castle and Newton they are insane, 5-6” is a big difference outside

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Flops as if he was playing for Duke

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
They are shockingly bad at passing to Edey when he’s not being fronted and is being guarded by a 6’8 guy. But I doubt we see much fronting. Edey is just too big and would seal off Clingan too far from the basket imo.
They'll need near perfect passes to get it over Clingan however since Edey is not that quick enough to adjust to very high passes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom