Purdue Post Game Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Purdue Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1.) You’re not going to block a hook shot from a 7’4” player (so don’t try to and potentially get into foul trouble).
2.) Win the rebounding battle
3.) Lock down everybody other than Edey
4.) Just try to slow Edey, he’ll score, just make him earn it.
5.) We can’t lose if we score points, if we score 75+ I like our chances.
Update on my post from yesterday on keys to the game: It worked.

Reaction Score
No, I said the same thing to anyone that would listen. Clingan only has one foul, Clingan has only one foul! It was like Christmas.

Props to the refs, they let them play but sheesh. Edey is allowed to do what he wants. There was the early arm thing when the game started with Clingan. There was the three point line thing and then there was the late game stuff when it was already over and they let Edey throw elbows into Karaban's neck.

Overall the refs let the players battle and decide the game without them being noticed. Edey got about 4 calls and I think we got 3. The refs were really good overall.
It was late in the game and the final result was already known, but Edey completely bulldozed Karaban a couple times (I thought Karaban took an elbow to his face, but it was actually Edey's shoulder). Looked like fouls to me, but then again when you have a 6'8" guy defending a 7'4" 300 pound guy, I guess that's what it's supposed to look like.

Reaction Score
Isn't it interesting that in both Women's and Men's basketball, the NPOY was a generational, two-time winner and neither one of them brought home a championship?

Reaction Score
That was near flawless execution of an elite defensive game plan leading to total destruction. I could tell Edey was gassed with a few minutes to go in the 1st half and I knew it was over. They are so relentless and grind teams down to the point where they just give up. This game was a perfect encapsulation of the entire season. Great coaching, execution and team work leading UConn to the promised land once again. About 30 minutes after the game was over Hurley was asking assistants where the East Regional and Final Four will be next year :cool:

Reaction Score
Isn't it interesting that in both Women's and Men's basketball, the NPOY was a generational, two-time winner and neither one of them brought home a championship?
Keyshawn Johnson and Paul Pierce this morning talked about how bored they were.

Meanwhile, Pierce was saying the problem with US basketball is kids don't learn offense the proper way, they just dribble drive. He criticizes them because they're all about flash. They should learn how to play like Euro kids.

At the same time, he says the UConn game is boring bland basketball.

I wonder why the kids are more interested in flash?

Anyway, I saw a fantastic first half. In fact, I agree with the Cuse fans who said this: "Best first 10 minutes in title game history. Incredible!"

People who think last night was bad basketball don't know ball.

Reaction Score
Question about the trophy. Is that the real trophy? It looks cheap. What are all the crystal trophies in the UConn trophy case?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I went their last night to see what they were chatting about, and to their credit they dusted off their thread about Ollie getting fired and Hurley being hired. Great read.
That thread is pure gold!

Reaction Score
Gregg Doyel has been an idiot for years now but he outdid himself with this one, lol @ putting Braden Smith over Castle

Reaction Score
Jersey City???? Lol
Proud to say our younger cat was adopted from Jersey City on November 19th 2021.

Since then UConn has:
  • An overall record of 91-21
  • Won one Big East Championship
  • Won two National Championships

Here's a shot of the lower Manhattan skyline from the street of the cat shelter:
IMG_9264.jpg

You're welcome for the good mojo!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Meanwhile, Pierce was saying the problem with US basketball is kids don't learn offense the proper way, they just dribble drive. He criticizes them because they're all about flash. They should learn how to play like Euro kids.

Anyway, I saw a fantastic first half. In fact, I agree with the Cuse fans who said this: "Best first 10 minutes in title game history. Incredible!"

Given how inaccurate Pierce's comments are, assuming you are accurately summarizing his statements, there has to be an explanation for his statements. Doesn't surprise me that a person who played for Kansas wants to denigrate a team that now has two more NCs than his alma mater. Plus this leads me to believe Pierce still holds animosity towards Ray.

Reaction Score
Given how inaccurate Pierce's comments are, assuming you are accurately summarizing his statements, there has to be an explanation for his statements. Doesn't surprise me that a person who played for Kansas wants to denigrate a team that now has two more NCs than his alma mater. Plus this leads me to believe Pierce still holds animosity towards Ray.
Keyshawn was worse.

This is accurate. They both said it was dry and flat and had no star power. Then he criticized the style of play while specifically mentioning the Euros do it right.

Reaction Score
That was near flawless execution of an elite defensive game plan leading to total destruction. I could tell Edey was gassed with a few minutes to go in the 1st half and I knew it was over. They are so relentless and grind teams down to the point where they just give up. This game was a perfect encapsulation of the entire season. Great coaching, execution and team work leading UConn to the promised land once again. About 30 minutes after the game was over Hurley was asking assistants where the East Regional and Final Four will be next year :cool:
There was one play with about a minute left in the 1st half where Edey was quite clearly leaning on Karaban and the look on his face and the relative limpness of his body to me screamed "I need to do this to stay up." It was kinda wild

Reaction Score
Question about the trophy. Is that the real trophy? It looks cheap. What are all the crystal trophies in the UConn trophy case?
iirc the crystal ones are coaches poll championships? Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
In his defense, that team stinks outside of Edey. Smith is a pretty good PG but outside of that they're not good.

I was a little surprised that they run no action when Edey has a post touch. They just stand there and if there's a double he'll kick it out, but at least run some weakside action, etc.
Also surprised that other than EDEY all his starters and some bench are from Indiana. No travel budget for a P5 conference team?

Reaction Score
Consecutively, UConn played the Kenpom rated #3, #2, and #4 offenses in the NCAA this year and got these results:
  1. Elite 8 - Illinois averaged 84.4 per game - scored 52
  2. Final 4 - Alabama averaged 90.8 per game - scored 72
  3. Final - Purdue averaged 83.4 - scored 60
Of course UConn was the Kenpom #1 rated offense, but the defense set the tone for this team.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Keyshawn was worse.

This is accurate. They both said it was dry and flat and had no star power. Then he criticized the style of play while specifically mentioning the Euros do it right.
The UConn haters will gravitate towards this commentary but most people who watched the game will have no respect for it based on what they observed in that game and come to the conclusion these are people with an anti UConn agenda or have some background of animosity towards UConn.

Most UConn fans dismissed Purdue and Edey up until the final game. That's human nature. People think and write anything that makes themselves feel good and that includes agenda writing to get hits for economic purposes.

I love hearing positive feedback for UConn's historical success, for this team, for this season, and for this two year run. If someone wants to dismiss the accomplishments I don't need to treat it like it's a sacrilege. I know how good I feel about my fandom for this program and what I've observed since following the program in the late fifties. I'm happy I found a place to share that love in this forum. I consider myself a very lucky individual. Now to begin the quest for seven!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Flash makes better TikTok content than ball movement.

To PP's comment, of the six NCs, last night was on the lower end of drama. I've been saying all year that Purdue couldn't beat UConn. Thus there was little suspense for me, and I guess I experienced the smugness of a late 90s Yankees fan, just enjoying nearly flawless execution. But I wouldn't have called it "boring".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom