Pulling the plug at the 10 minute mark | The Boneyard

Pulling the plug at the 10 minute mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Uconn consistantly does this in blowouts. No fast breaking. Work the shot clock. Very rarely will you see UConn score more points in the 2nd half than the 1st half.

Tonight, here were possessions after the 10 minutes mark where UConn gained possession after a DePaul make, miss or TO and then UConn shot the ball. The number is the number of seconds UConn ran off before shooting or turning the ball over.

16,18,12,26,22,25,23,21,18,18,21 to end the game. 16 points. Average 20 seconds a possession.

Without mentioning names, there is a particular team that tends to score more in the second half of blowouts and not work the clock, fast breaking when they can and shooting quickly even when they don't.

26,12,13,9,8,22,5,17,13,7,16,5,7,25,10,24 to run out the clock. 31 points. Average 13 seconds a possession.

Ok...I admit it. I'm bored.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
This is an intriguing one. I could pick one of three, possibly four, teams.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
A little cabin fever there, Doggy?
Who me?

th

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Geno does this out of respect for opponets. He has to many great players and really not much of a bench that he can clear and let opponets catch up so he calls off the dogs and slows the game down and at times works on things like the 3 bigs playing together. The 3 bigs playing together is a hint of what is to come on next Monday nite againest Baylor.

Something to think about. Can you imagine how many points UConn could score if Geno didnt slow it down? With Bria looking like shes almost back to where she was before her injury, I really like our chances againest Baylor. Remember last year we were up 11 and hadnt been to the line until after Baylor got the lead. We are a much improved team from last season. I expect a hard fought game with UConn winning by double digets. I also expect for UConn to get alot more shots from down low while boxing Griner and Pope out.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
TonyC you are something else! I'll be in Germany, and probably unable to watch, so the game thread will be very important...

Reaction Score
Geno does this out of respect for opponets. He has to many great players and really not much of a bench that he can clear and let opponets catch up so he calls off the dogs and slows the game down and at times works on things like the 3 bigs playing together. The 3 bigs playing together is a hint of what is to come on next Monday nite againest Baylor.

Something to think about. Can you imagine how many points UConn could score if Geno didnt slow it down? With Bria looking like shes almost back to where she was before her injury, I really like our chances againest Baylor. Remember last year we were up 11 and hadnt been to the line until after Baylor got the lead. We are a much improved team from last season. I expect a hard fought game with UConn winning by double digets. I also expect for UConn to get alot more shots from down low while boxing Griner and Pope out.

With Griner, Sims and other talented players, UConn is not winning by double digits. UConn by three in a hard fought game. Kaleena hits in the last ten seconds. Baylor's Sims heaves a long one that hits off the rim at the buzzer. UConn wins 75-72.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Uconn consistantly does this in blowouts. No fast breaking. Work the shot clock. Very rarely will you see UConn score more points in the 2nd half than the 1st half.

Tonight, here were possessions after the 10 minutes mark where UConn gained possession after a DePaul make, miss or TO and then UConn shot the ball. The number is the number of seconds UConn ran off before shooting or turning the ball over.

16,18,12,26,22,25,23,21,18,18,21 to end the game. 16 points. Average 20 seconds a possession.

Without mentioning names, there is a particular team that tends to score more in the second half of blowouts and not work the clock, fast breaking when they can and shooting quickly even when they don't.

26,12,13,9,8,22,5,17,13,7,16,5,7,25,10,24 to run out the clock. 31 points. Average 13 seconds a possession.
Ok...I admit it. I'm bored.
This is Geno's big weakness. He can't motivate the team after second half time outs. That is why UConn under Geno can't win the big games. I've always known this and I'm glad to see that doggonedaddy now agrees with me. I suggest we start a search for a new coach immediately. Kevin Ollie will not be a candidate. I read on the men's board that he has the same problem.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
IIRC, they had stopped pressing even in the 1st half.

Reaction Score
chrissaran said . . . "Baylor's Sims heaves a long one that hits off the rim at the buzzer."

verbatim deja vu from our first trip to Hartford three years ago, but that was a first game of the season and all agreed a very sloppy outing from both sides, nevertheless glimpse of things to come in terms of competitiveness for us.

Mulkey faces the same problem as raised by this thread. Today's local paper is about the very catch 22 of what to do in a conference game when the gap is so wide. We love to run. We CAN play half court, but our offense is best in gear off of forcing turnovers and finishing quickly on the offensive end before the opponent can set up defensively. So, in the 2nd half, it's either stand down by the starters, or ramp up the runaway by breaking some spirits of opponents who don't/can't run with us.

Biggest issue however is, since Notre Dame back in mid December, we really don't know what it takes to play to the wire and finish off against an opponent in our face--regardless of high or low scoring game. You guys certainly will be the first chance for us to play in a game in which we expect to have to play it out for 40 minutes to get a win.

Looking forward to it. Sims isn't shooting the 3 as much as she did her first year, so if it is a last second shot to win, look for someone trying go to the hoop for a foul. Our ladies are not afraid of shooting the 3 but our season numbers suggest we better not count on it.

Here's hoping you guys don't rain down 3s as effectively as you did last month. Especially if it's Dolson stepping out to do so. Our conference offenses we've seen in several years that really threatened us are those (Iowa St. and TTech) taking Griner out of the paint and either high percentage on the 3s or cutters to the basket behind her -- sound like a team you guys watch regularly?

If you guys are getting good looks from the arc and completing 40% + from the arc, our ladybears could be in for a long night. Griner/Dolson and Madden/Lewis (or whoever Mulk considers your strongest outside offensive threat on a given night) are the keys from where I plan to watch.

Plus however the stripes call a Griner game. So far she's gotten a fair shake (most opponents would say too fair). But our conference has nothing anywhere close to a Dolson to match up against. So early foul trouble for Griner changes the whole mix obviously. Last Saturday in Austin was her first real problem game and she sat for 10 minutes in the first half with two fouls (Mulk's almost inviolable policy). Williams/Pope together helped extend the lead by 10 in those 10 minutes against a really weak Texas team without a bona fide post. What they can do vs. a potential Dolson/Stewart tandem will be fun (?) to watch.

Okay, I'm bored too. So, I'm out on this one. Whatever the outcome, our ladies need to be stretched to see where we are before March. Big 12 just doesn't stretch us, and though I don't like the arrogance of Notre Dame in a different thread, I have to agree with what it looks like from here--a three pony race to a New Orleans Tuesday night in April--the only game that makes/breaks the season in what most of us down here realize is the "Griner window" to win it all.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
chrissaran said . . . "Baylor's Sims heaves a long one that hits off the rim at the buzzer."

verbatim deja vu from our first trip to Hartford three years ago, but that was a first game of the season and all agreed a very sloppy outing from both sides, nevertheless glimpse of things to come in terms of competitiveness for us.

Mulkey faces the same problem as raised by this thread. Today's local paper is about the very catch 22 of what to do in a conference game when the gap is so wide. We love to run. We CAN play half court, but our offense is best in gear off of forcing turnovers and finishing quickly on the offensive end before the opponent can set up defensively. So, in the 2nd half, it's either stand down by the starters, or ramp up the runaway by breaking some spirits of opponents who don't/can't run with us.

Biggest issue however is, since Notre Dame back in mid December, we really don't know what it takes to play to the wire and finish off against an opponent in our face--regardless of high or low scoring game. You guys certainly will be the first chance for us to play in a game in which we expect to have to play it out for 40 minutes to get a win.

Looking forward to it. Sims isn't shooting the 3 as much as she did her first year, so if it is a last second shot to win, look for someone trying go to the hoop for a foul. Our ladies are not afraid of shooting the 3 but our season numbers suggest we better not count on it.

Here's hoping you guys don't rain down 3s as effectively as you did last month. Especially if it's Dolson stepping out to do so. Our conference offenses we've seen in several years that really threatened us are those (Iowa St. and TTech) taking Griner out of the paint and either high percentage on the 3s or cutters to the basket behind her -- sound like a team you guys watch regularly?

If you guys are getting good looks from the arc and completing 40% + from the arc, our ladybears could be in for a long night. Griner/Dolson and Madden/Lewis (or whoever Mulk considers your strongest outside offensive threat on a given night) are the keys from where I plan to watch.

Plus however the stripes call a Griner game. So far she's gotten a fair shake (most opponents would say too fair). But our conference has nothing anywhere close to a Dolson to match up against. So early foul trouble for Griner changes the whole mix obviously. Last Saturday in Austin was her first real problem game and she sat for 10 minutes in the first half with two fouls (Mulk's almost inviolable policy). Williams/Pope together helped extend the lead by 10 in those 10 minutes against a really weak Texas team without a bona fide post. What they can do vs. a potential Dolson/Stewart tandem will be fun (?) to watch.

Okay, I'm bored too. So, I'm out on this one. Whatever the outcome, our ladies need to be stretched to see where we are before March. Big 12 just doesn't stretch us, and though I don't like the arrogance of Notre Dame in a different thread, I have to agree with what it looks like from here--a three pony race to a New Orleans Tuesday night in April--the only game that makes/breaks the season in what most of us down here realize is the "Griner window" to win it all.

Prof, thanks for the Baylor perspective. I will incorperate some of this into my Baylor analysis.

Reaction Score
This is Geno's big weakness. He can't motivate the team after second half time outs. That is why UConn under Geno can't win the big games. I've always known this and I'm glad to see that doggonedaddy now agrees with me. I suggest we start a search for a new coach immediately. Kevin Ollie will not be a candidate. I read on the men's board that he has the same problem.

May I suggest Steve Spurrier, I know he was a football coach but he wouldn't stop trying to score until the refs took away all the footballs. We could have the first WCBB team to average 100 points per game. He could be an assistant in charge of scoring or some more catchy title.
Kelly Faris is Superwoman in disguise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak