Pulisic | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Pulisic

Reaction Score
Pulisic and Dempsey are the only two players on the team that don't get over excited in the offensive box. This ability alone separates him from most that have worn the USA jersey. His mental make up, his patience and calm, are what really makes him transformative. Yes, he is quick as a cat, deceptively strong and has great ball kills. But what makes him great is that the bigger the moment the more he seems able to slow time down.

Take Bobby Wood, for all his speed and skills, he cannot slow down time in the box. Given the chances that have come his way, he should have capitalized more often. If he could absorb that mental aspect that Pulisic has, he would be a special player as well.

That's why I think the kid will get better and better.

Reaction Score
On that note, Arena says Pulisic and Dempsey are not going to be part of the Gold Cup. I can't disagree with that call. Nothing is more useless than the summer before the WC Gold Cup.

Reaction Score
CCV can play for England if he chooses right? Would seem to be the key guy to get capped and lock up.
Yes. Supposedly he wants to play for the US, but we'll see. JK had him on the roster for Mexico and CR first two qualifiers, but those won't so horribly sideways that there wasn't a chance to cap him. Was kind of hoping he'd be pulled in to the Gold Cup roster, as a Cap in that tournament would "Americanize" him, but not to be.

Reaction Score
Okay. But that doesn't change the discussion and the fact that Zoo just really really wants to find new ways to hate on Donovan. We have to wait and see. And believe me, I'm just as excited as everyone else is.

A perfect example of waiting to see is John O'Brien. The kid was an extremely good player and was part of the Ajax system as a teenager. But he was riddled with injuries throughout his short career. Even Donovan thought O'Brien was the better player. It was just some very crappy luck.

Again, I hope Pulisic becomes everything I think he can become, because I think he can become something great...

First line says it all. Pulisic is the most accomplished 18 year old club player in the USMNT pool. Hadn't Landon already won a major aware for his play in the U-20 world cup? It's comparing apples and oranges but it's a comparison.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
First line says it all. Pulisic is the most accomplished 18 year old club player in the USMNT pool. Hadn't Landon already won a major aware for his play in the U-20 world cup? It's comparing apples and oranges but it's a comparison.

Ironically, they had very similar U-17 careers.

Donovan: 35 goals in 41 appearances, named 1999 player of the tournament (USA finished 4th)
Pulisic: 28 goals in 34 appearances (USA knocked out in group stage)

So technically, Pulisic is not more accomplished as an 18 year old if we look at it from that perspective. They are equally accomplished. I think the real accomplishment to this point is how well he has done at Borussia Dortmund. And I'm not trying to undercut that accomplishment, because I think it is absolutely noteworthy.

But again, you have to take all of this with many grains of salt since it's coming from someone who just cannot stand Landon Donovan for whatever personal reasons he happens to have. I suppose all we can do is join together in our common hopes that Pulisic becomes the next Maradona...

Reaction Score
As far as Dempsey goes, I'm already on record as saying that for me, he is the best American to ever play the game. Better than Donovan too.
Hold on to your tea cup, an MLS email intended to generate website clicks tossed out this cracker subject heading today: "Is Michael Bradley America's best ... ever?" The linked article toned it down with some more rational commentary, but I sh|t you not ... not McBride, Landycakes, Dempsey, nor the full of potential Pulisic, but Michael Bradley! ;)

Reaction Score
Ironically, they had very similar U-17 careers.

Donovan: 35 goals in 41 appearances, named 1999 player of the tournament (USA finished 4th)
Pulisic: 28 goals in 34 appearances (USA knocked out in group stage)

So technically, Pulisic is not more accomplished as an 18 year old if we look at it from that perspective. They are equally accomplished. I think the real accomplishment to this point is how well he has done at Borussia Dortmund. And I'm not trying to undercut that accomplishment, because I think it is absolutely noteworthy.

But again, you have to take all of this with many grains of salt since it's coming from someone who just cannot stand Landon Donovan for whatever personal reasons he happens to have. I suppose all we can do is join together in our common hopes that Pulisic becomes the next Maradona...

The club performance, appearances in the Europa/Champions League as a 17/18 yo player, scoring, assisting and starting over players like Mario Gotze and Andre Schurrle AND other highly touted up and comers like Liverpool target Emre Mor put him miles ahead of where Landon was.

Pulisic had options with like a half dozen clubs in Europe. He was a pretty well known prospect since he was U-12.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Hold on to your tea cup, an MLS email intended to generate website clicks tossed out this cracker subject heading today: "Is Michael Bradley America's best ... ever?" The linked article toned it down with some more rational commentary, but I sh|t you not ... not McBride, Landycakes, Dempsey, nor the full of potential Pulisic, but Michael Bradley! ;)

This article title is why I believe mental health funding is so important in this country... ;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This article title is why I believe mental health funding is so important in this country... ;)
There was a time before he left Roma that he was playing some very good soccer and that thought wasn't so far-fetched. But that was before he shirked the challenge and decided to go MLS.

Reaction Score

That's MLS for you. One flukey goal and the MLS pr machine cranks into overdrive.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
There was a time before he left Roma that he was playing some very good soccer and that thought wasn't so far-fetched. But that was before he shirked the challenge and decided to go MLS.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not part of the crowd that thinks he's worthless. I think he has value, especially when placed in a role where he can be successful, such as in the game against Mexico. That is the exact role that he played at Chievo and he was fantastic there. He struggles when we try to do different things with him and make him into someone he's not.

However, there's a difference between being a very good player and being the best of all time. The latter is a ridiculous statement for him...

Reaction Score
Pulisic had a different upbringing, having spent time in England, spells with Porto, PSV and La Masia (and look up Ben Lederman while you're at it ). He's an anomaly to the US audience and compares closer to any 18-19 year old solidifying their place on a top flight team.

Landy couldn't hack it, Jordan Morris was rejected, etc. At least we're now seeing kids at the earliest available ages go to clubs and fight for a place in the U23s or even first team. The greater breakthrough is going to happen sooner than later. I hope a few of these kids get brought to Russia, because the turnover should happen immediately after.

He's miles ahead of any US midfielder from a technical perspective, especially in the final 3rd. I don't understand the criticism of his Mexico performance - he was hung out to dry by the game plan, was given balls in places he couldn't be dangerous in and Mexico kept at least three guys on him. Watch him at Dortmund - he plays both sides, the middle in an attacking system where he can expect a teammate to actually control a pass and give it back to him in a threatening position.

Reaction Score
That's MLS for you. One flukey goal and the MLS pr machine cranks into overdrive.
Setting aside Bradley was opportunistic and made a smart play, I don't view his goal as flukey or even fluky. To Bradley's credit, he made a good decision and executed well. As with most organizations, MLS clearly works with the bits of positive they find to favorably promote.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Setting aside Bradley was opportunistic and made a smart play, I don't view his goal as flukey or even fluky. To Bradley's credit, he made a good decision and executed well. As with most organizations, MLS clearly works with the bits of positive they find to favorably promote.

I'll go even further than that. I want someone to name for me a country that has won the World Cup since 1950 without a strong domestic soccer league. Go ahead. I'll wait...

People can moan all they want about the MLS, but the truth is this; until the MLS is a top flight soccer league, we will not win the World Cup. Period.

Reaction Score
Ummm Brazil? Argentina? Most of their players are in Europe. MLS is getting better but it's still garbage - read quotes from those who finish out their careers here. Shweiny said he has no idea what his teammates are doing

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Ummm Brazil? Argentina? Most of their players are in Europe. MLS is getting better but it's still garbage - read quotes from those who finish out their careers here. Shweiny said he has no idea what his teammates are doing

Wrong and wrong. If you think that MLS teams are anywhere near teams like Boca Juniors, River Plate, Santos, Fluminense, etc., then you're crazy. If you think that Argentina and Brazil don't qualify as "strong domestic leagues", then I don't know what to tell you...

Reaction Score

The biggest affect of the MLS is that it has improved soccer in the western hemisphere. The USA is a big pull for South American and Latin American players. And though the pay isn't great, it has provided jobs for hundreds of players. These players are no longer just finishing their careers here. They are coming, bringing their families and enjoying a life style unavailable in many countries to our south. There are lots of good players who want to leave Brazil or Panama or Costa Rica.

The MLS is improving the play of many nations far beyond the USA.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

By the way, just in case you think I'm exaggerating; I just checked the most recent FIFA world rankings by club team, and 16 of the top 50 teams in the world come from either Argentina or Brazil...

Reaction Score
Argentina starting lineup (4-3-3): Sergio Romero; Marcos Rojo, Ramiro Funes Mori, Nicolas Otamendi, Gabriel Mercado; Javier Mascherano, Lucas Biglia, Ever Banega; Angel Di Maria, Gonzalo Higuain, Lionel Messi

Copa America centenario final starting lineup. All play club in Europe

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Argentina starting lineup (4-3-3): Sergio Romero; Marcos Rojo, Ramiro Funes Mori, Nicolas Otamendi, Gabriel Mercado; Javier Mascherano, Lucas Biglia, Ever Banega; Angel Di Maria, Gonzalo Higuain, Lionel Messi

Jesus, are you really that dense??

I never said their best players have to play in their own country. I said you cannot win the World Cup without a strong domestic soccer league in your own country. Period. End of story. Can't be clearer than that for you.

Without a strong domestic league, you cannot develop your youth and create a spring board for world class talent or world class depth. We can poo poo the MLS all we want, but until we strengthen our league, we are dead in the water...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

By the way, with the sole exception of Messi who played his youth football in Argentina only, every single player you named had played part of their pro career in the Argentina first division. You made my point for me. Thanks...

Reaction Score
All those guys play some sort of domestic pro ball at ~15. If the leagues are that strong why don't they stay? Thank you!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
All those guys play some sort of domestic pro ball at ~15. If the leagues are that strong why don't they stay? Thank you!

No, not at 15. Pro ball. Most of them played there past the age of 18. They didn't stay because the money is better for the top European clubs. What's your point? You clearly aren't capable of understanding what I'm saying, so I'll say it one more time. We cannot field a World Cup winning team without a strong domestic league.

Now you can go back to typing whatever the heck you think you're arguing for...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wrong and wrong. If you think that MLS teams are anywhere near teams like Boca Juniors, River Plate, Santos, Fluminense, etc., then you're crazy. If you think that Argentina and Brazil don't qualify as "strong domestic leagues", then I don't know what to tell you...

They aren't close to the level of the leagues in England, Spain, Germany and Italy. Maybe on par with the Dutch at best, or Portugal. And the best players don't stay home.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
They aren't close to the level of the leagues in England, Spain, Germany and Italy. Maybe on par with the Dutch at best, or Portugal. And the best players don't stay home.

I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

I continue to say that they don't have to be the best league in the world. But they have to be strong. You're comparing the Brazilian and Argentine leagues to Portugal and Holland. I would argue they are better than those two leagues top to bottom, but the accuracy of which is better is irrelevant. The point is that you've named the reigning euro champ and a near-perennial world cup contender as your comparators. And THAT'S my point!

Until the United States develops a domestic league in par with those types of leagues, we are in trouble...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom