Publicly unplayed cards - questions for Sue H | The Boneyard

Publicly unplayed cards - questions for Sue H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm glad Sue H is going on w/JoeD Thursday. For optics/public relations a much better venue than NPR as far as connecting with the 'real' fan base. I hope she is bringing some tangible news to the table (BCS football opponents in 2014, etc). She really ought to think about going longer than 30 minutes and entertain questions from fans as well as the host.

so while she's there, a little fodder for discussion and using what little leverage UConn can wield to end up in the 'right' place.

1. Title IX implications: Might be UConn's strongest case. The top 25 women's poll has only two teams not in a 'stable' BCS conference - Dayton & UConn. There is a very reasonable case that keeping UConn out of the big-boy conference club will have a very negative effect on the country's most successful women's basketball program (and one of the few self-sustaining ones, in addition to the other successful women's teams at UConn). The last thing Jim Delany & Swofford & Slive and all these jackwagons want it is a sexual discrimination issue hanging over their heads, or being hauled into D.C. and having to answer for this publicly in front of the likes of Boxer, Mikulski, etc. etc.

2: Nike - the women's team visit to Oregon got me thinking about this. UConn's value to Nike is in danger of significantly diminishing if this conference stuff doesn't get worked out. Don't Nike's advertising dollars help drive the behemoth TV contract bus? Don't think it would hurt for Phil Knight to get involved as an ally in some form. Hell, Warde just got a free trip to China on Nike's dime. UConn needs all the friends it can get.

3: IMG - If we are a client of theirs, aren't they supposed to be acting on our behalf behind the scenes? That contract UConn signed with them was severely overvalued in its remaining years if things continue as they are.

4. TV eyeballs: 30th largest TV market, a little bigger when you add in the chunk of New York that belongs to us (fairfield county). By my count, only 12 of the top 30 are exclusively 'owned' by one conference - seven in the Pac 12. Most of the big Southern markets are split between SEC/ACC loyalty (which changes if Florida State and Ga. Tech bolt). We are one of the few remaining 'big' markets up for grabs. Why this hasn't been more of a selling point behind closed doors is puzzling. Louisville is 50th and Charleston/Huntington (W Va.) is 65th FWIW.

5: Politics/politicians - yes, beating a very dead horse here. But now twice we've seen active, public lobbying by U.S. senators help their schools. The silence of our delegation and Malloy while all this is going on in recent weeks and months is defeaning. Yes, in a perfect world, they would not have to get involved, and yes, there are many, many more important matters that need to be dealt with. Yes, many of you want Blumenthal as far away from this as possible. But there needs to be some kind of concerted, public - and unified effort. Jim Calhoun publicly endorsed Chris Murphy. Murphy should lead the way in repaying the favor.

Reaction Score
She can't discuss any of those on the radio but you bring up some interesting points. Especially the part about title nine and the women's program.

The thing is everyone on the board is looking for reassurance from her that just isn't coming. She will either lead UConn to a safe landing or she will have totally failed. There is no in between in this. We won't know until the dust has completely settled and that won't start to sort itself out until the big 12 acts next and that is a matter of when not if. If the big 12 took Cincinnati and BYU or some other teams currently outside the power five and movement stopped then wed be royally screwed.

Reaction Score
good points on all. If the discussion were to approach this level, I think it's good for Herbst to do this.
My guess is this will be the same type of dialogue we've heard in the past. Nothing specific will be mentioned which will only frustrate the fans who are clamoring for something, anything at this point.

At this point, Warde has lost the fan base. Anything short of a viable ACC or Big10 and he is a miserable failure. Herbst is losing the fan base, but still has supporters for her moves on the academic front. Continuing to publically display her ineptness in leading the athletic program to a safe landing spot is not smart.

If there is nothing to say, you don't have to call attention to yourself to say that.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I don't know federal discrimination claims from shinola, but I doubt UConn can claim some special status any more so than say, Seton Hall that its women's sports programs have been irreparably harmed by conference realignment. Our financial damages may be higher, but the rights of our student-athletes are equal to everyone else's. I believe Orrin Hatch had the right angle when threatening to take down the non-proft status of these institutions whose every decision is based on increasing revenue.

Reaction Score
It's more than likely that a question will come up on the recent study showing the absurd discrepency between what colleges are spending per student vs per athlete. This issue will not be buried by the boosters. Susan is first and foremeost an academician (as are most Presidents who face the wrath of professors and students facing ever increasing costs). Look for her to side with those who decry the imbalance. It should be an interesting show.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Joe D is a homer worse than Dez. T9 is a proper topic with all the softballs I am sure he"ll loft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom