Providence Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Providence Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was laying 6........cha ching!! Had it all the way
I was expecting to win by 15 but I’ll take it. We took it to them right away and PC’s faces and body language were priceless.

Reaction Score
Takeaways

1) We can be the best team in the country in spurts. We need to figure out how to sustain it.
2) Karaban is the guy, Hawkins is not the guy. Hurley realizes thank goodness.
3) The team is palpably nervous in tight situations. Was at the game and could literally see the anxiousness and fear on the guy's faces (particularly Sanogo) when the game got to 5 and Providence fans got into it).
4) Providence fans are obnoxious. Every one of them thinks they are God's special Rhode Island Christian baby. Nauseating.
Hawkins is not the guy? What are you talking about? Who made the 3 when we came out of the timeout from the under 4 minute mark. Get a clue. Enjoy the win.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Want to know how a 24-point lead gets whittled down to five? Turnovers: UConn-18, PC-9.

Discipline, discipline, discipline.
Said the marine. They obviously ain’t marines.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I would like a word with the chuckleheads who still think that we do not need a point guard.

Our plan to have Adamo Sanogo try to handle the ball to close out a win-or-go-home basketball game was a little shaky there.
If you're going to go back to that well, and then gild your turd by calling people "chuckleheads," I doubt you can object to me calling you "brainiac" and asking how exactly on March 9th can ANY team get the point guard you say they need in the present tense? They cannot, so enough already.

You want to claim obviousness when it suits you and ignore it when it doesn't. How and why is that OK?

Why not at least make it a poll and smoke out the "chuckleheads" who think the team wouldn't benefit from a player who could do what you'd wish for (even if you know it's currently impossible)? How many do you really believe fit your fantasy description anyway?

This is just the same self-serving junk that hijacked the board a few weeks ago for no meaningful purpose. Sure, you've got decades of accumulated social capital, so it can be expected that you'll find a measure of agreement, but it's all bogus. And for what?

This is our team.
This is our coaching staff.
This is our first of two single-elimination tournaments, and you want to invite bad energy like this?
Phooey.

If anybody else would dare call for something so 100% impossible, you'd derisively attack them for being so dumb.

Here's a bone for you:

Let's stipulate that there are indeed folks "who still think we don't need a point guard."

What's the word you want to have with them?

It's quite clearly very important to you, so have at it.
Karaban manages to hit the timely 3 every single time. I love it.
One exception - he missed the killer in Newark against Seton Hall. I'd bet against a repeat of that
Cooley knows how to work the refs for sure. He has a pretty good rep with them. You can even see when he was talking with one at the end of the game.
Hopkins was talking just as casually to another ref, and it was clear that he had a respectful ear.

I think Hurley needs to take some blame too... He needed to take a couple TOs during that run and tried to wait for the TV timeouts instead. Not particularly thrilled with that.
It was infuriating. They aren't rollover minutes.

At first I thought he needed a timeout to calm & reset the team. Then it was needed to calm & reset himself.
That was a good play. It broke the press and they committed foul number 6 on Sanogo.
It was also the first time that Karaban was used for the inbounds pass.

He was flawless in this role at the end of the Villanova game, but not used for that today until that play. Newton made two free throws shortly after.

On the next inbounds, it was Alex passing again, and it went to Andre who missed the front end of the 1-and-1, but by then the clock had too little time.

Alex is a heady player who sees the multiple possibilities and steadily makes the right choice.
Seems like the game really turned on the missed Newton dunk when he came up gimpy and had to come out.
His arm was hit and affected on that play, btw.

Kind of like the time when Adama was 'repositioned' from his path on a layup, and the time when he went sitting onto the ground. Neither was without an 'assist' to do so. All were fouls.
Our press break needs to be set up/performed better. Lofted passes horizontally from Newton and AJax is too predictable, and neither uses up fakes or dribbles enough. Our OOB plays have been pretty scary for a while now.
Watch them with Alex initiating, starting last Saturday. I don't know what led to forgetting this today.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
That's one way to look at it. The team was far too lax with the ball once they went up by 26 and we got too much into prevent mode draining the clock but Hawkins and Karaban looked pretty darn confident knocking down those threes and Newton looked pretty darn confident knocking down those ft's to seal the win.
Good teams, like PC can very often whittle down a bit led. It’s about doing enough to win….we did that.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Marine? He’ll no………..soldier.
Sorry…better yet! And I knew that, it was the vodka talking. Please accept my humble apology.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley needs to take some blame too... He needed to take a couple TOs during that run and tried to wait for the TV timeouts instead. Not particularly thrilled with that.
In case you’ve been wondering like I was why Hassan Diara started instead of Newton , here is what your head coach had to say…

Message received loud and clear, Newton brought his A game today especially at the closing minutes.

Newton was a DOG today, dagger 3s from DEEP, and gets no calls even though he gets mauled, message got received

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Exactly both things can be true. The officiating was awful and got Providence back in the game, but UConn’s sloppiness just amplified it. The officiating started the downhill trajectory and UCon’s sloppiness put the descent on roller skates. It was bad enough PC went on a 10-0 run to cut the lead from 26 to 16 but they did it so quickly
That's because we threw the ball away and they had some major steals, which all resulted in points.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I could have been looking at a different guy but I think the point guard had 16 points and 7 assists against one turnover and made the only 2 free throws taken by UConn over the last 17 minutes of the game. I don't recall Adama being put in a position to shoot any free throws down the stretch.
Sanogo was getting mugged like I have never seen. Big battles under the hoop. Friars players were walking more than a handful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom