Princeton WBB team- 23-0 | The Boneyard

Princeton WBB team- 23-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some of the key players seem to have an off game but their depth prevailed.

I was at a restaurant and saw that they were only up 1 point late in the game. There was a freakin' blizzard outside and I knew I couldn't get home in time to see the rest of the game.

I bought tickets for the rest of their home games (4) so I can watch them at those at least. I hope to get a ticket for the Penn game (let's have a meet-up for this).

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
They played Yale in New Haven. I was tempted to go to watch the game, but Valentine's Day was a higher priority. 56-50 final score. Three point difference at the half. Attendance: 287. (Could have had the best seats in the house.)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm rooting for Princeton to stay undefeated the rest of the season. Unfortunately for them, though, they will probably end up a 6 or 7 seed - they've not played a single team in the top 25, and probably not even in the top 50.

They beat the likes of Wake, Georgetown, Michigan, and Pitt, but I think only Pitt (16-8) is considered a "good" win. Wake is 10-16, Georgetown 4-21, and Michigan 14-11. Pitt had a huge win thumping UNC by 25 and also beat Miami. They gave FSU a decent game and same with L'ville twice, but when your best win (Princeton) is a wnn over Pitt, I don't see where that puts you high in the seedings.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The narrow win will likely be held against the Tigers over the current-#163-Sagarin team from Yale, but still that 2-0 mark against the top 50 is nothing to sneeze at when you compare it to the P5 teams. The AAC has two teams with winning T50 marks, and that is actually a higher percentage than three of the P5 conferences and is tied with B12 for the least number of teams with non-winning T50 records, but the B12 has only one team with a winning record. The marks are:

SEC: 4 of 14
AAC: 4 of 15
AAC: 2 of 11
PAC: 2 of 12
B10: 2 of 14
B12: 1 of 10

But of course when selection time rolls around, the T50 record will only be mentioned for certain teams, and the fact that teams like LSU (currently 2-8) and Georgia (currently at 2-6) are in the dumpers will be conveniently overlooked.

Among the mid-majors there are a handful of teams that have winning T50 records, but of the top two teams in the Big East only Seton Hall at 3-0 is doing well (actually by percentage the best in the country per games), while DePaul is at 0-6. But we know about the Blue Demons' toughies this year.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, they're no Delaware Blue Hens with EDD, but it will be interesting to see how they fare in the tourney. If Eric's right, they'd be a #13 to #16 seed, meaning they'd face a seed between #1 and #4 in the first round. That would be a stiff opponent, but I bet some competitive brackets would have Princeton pulling off a first-round upset.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Well, they're no Delaware Blue Hens with EDD, but it will be interesting to see how they fare in the tourney. If Eric's right, they'd be a #13 to #16 seed, meaning they'd face a seed between #1 and #4 in the first round. That would be a stiff opponent, but I bet some competitive brackets would have Princeton pulling off a first-round upset.
Huh? He said #6 or #7. They are rated #6 in Sagarin and Creme has the at a #5 seed. #13-#16 is bizarro.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
DobbsRover2 said:
Huh? He said #6 or #7. They are rated #6 in Sagarin and Creme has the at a #5 seed. #13-#16 is bizarro.
Eric said "probably not even top 50." That would be outside the top 12.

And if it's #6 or #7, fine, but I really don't care about sagarin. And I really don't care about Creme.

Reaction Score
Folks, these are double digit road wins against credible teams. Taking MoV and location into account I doubt there are a dozen teams with two wins of that caliber.

If you don't want to take margin or location into account you're just willfully ignoring significant information.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Eric said "probably not even top 50." That would be outside the top 12.

And if it's #6 or #7, fine, but I really don't care about sagarin. And I really don't care about Creme.
Sorry alex, but you do need to read the messages more closely. ES was talking about the teams Princeton has played, and not the Tigers themselves. He rightly stated that they did not play anyone in the top 25, and the "maybe not even the top 50" refers to the fact that Michigan and Pittsburgh could slide out of the top 50, depriving the Tigers of their T50 wins. I know it can be tough to focus sometimes, but this is how threads go all loopy.

Reaction Score
I went to a lot of the Delaware/EDD games and this Princeton team is way better. Unlike the EDD teams they don't depend on one player but can go ten deep without losing much. Their style of play encourages balanced scoring. Their center reminds me of Minny's center (McCarville)- she can hit from the top of the key.
If they can get a seed in the top 16 and host the first two games (like Charlie has them right now) then watch out!

Reaction Score
The close game against Yale does not help their case. I had thought they could be a #5, but probably a 6 or 7 now.

The Ivy champ has been a #12 seed (2014), #9 (2013), #9 (2012), #12 (2011), #11 (2010).
This team should be higher than that.

Reaction Score
They don't need to peak right now anyway. If they get going in March it won't matter what their seed is.

Reaction Score
The close game against Yale does not help their case. I had thought they could be a #5, but probably a 6 or 7 now
No. If committee takes MoV into account then Princeton is ac4 seed at worst, regardless of Yale game (which was their 2nd road game in 2 days).

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Some of the key players seem to have an off game but their depth prevailed.

Maybe they got the one non UConn coaches vote? After all they are undefeated and Ivy League.

Reaction Score
Courtney Banghart, Princeton's coach, is my guest on this week's Dishin & Swishin podcast (Thursday, 3 pm ET on hoopfeed.com)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I know that Cinderella is always in the mirror and it is engaging to see some well coached mediocre athletes prove that basketball really is a game of discipline and team work, but beyond that I fail to see the allure of the Princeton team. They will not get into the 16 and host 2 games. They have played next to nobody.

Reaction Score
I know that Cinderella is always in the mirror and it is engaging to see some well coached mediocre athletes prove that basketball really is a game of discipline and team work, but beyond that I fail to see the allure of the Princeton team. They will not get into the 16 and host 2 games. They have played next to nobody.
Too bad but you're gonna be wrong...

:)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
They are of no consequence to a UConn; perhaps little consequence to the top dozen or so teams in the land. But after that, sorry, they are concerning. Just because they didn't play a bunch of decent teams doesn't mean they can't beat some.

It was different when a Liberty went undefeated - Liberty was in a dreadful conference and literally didn't play anyone, and no one was concerned. A decent Princeton team under Banghart has long demonstrated the ability to defeat teams that one would expect to be the better, including in a couple cases, Rutgers.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
They are of no consequence to a UConn; perhaps little consequence to the top dozen or so teams in the land. But after that, sorry, they are concerning. Just because they didn't play a bunch of decent teams doesn't mean they can't beat some.

It was different when a Liberty went undefeated - Liberty was in a dreadful conference and literally didn't play anyone, and no one was concerned. A decent Princeton team under Banghart has long demonstrated the ability to defeat teams that one would expect to be the better, including in a couple cases, Rutgers.

Exactly. To me (and I grad'd from Cornell and Harvard, so no Ivy phobia here) that makes them unworthy of the attention they are being accorded. Baylor is worth talking about. Maryland too. ND is doing just fine. Tenn without Izzy not so much. If the criterion for an "interesting team" is they can beat a few, maybe, in the top 50, then I look forward to the threads about those teams too.

Reaction Score

It remains to be seen whether they are of no consequence to UCONN. They'd do well not to overlook them. I'd say that UCONN is the only team that has a chance to beat Princeton this season.
We shall see what we shall see...

Reaction Score
The final Princeton regular season game against Penn is going to be televised on the CBS Sports Network on March 10 at 5:00 PM. I tried to buy a ticket but they aren't releasing them until game time. I'll just watch it on tv.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Exactly. To me (and I grad'd from Cornell and Harvard, so no Ivy phobia here) that makes them unworthy of the attention they are being accorded. Baylor is worth talking about. Maryland too. ND is doing just fine. Tenn without Izzy not so much. If the criterion for an "interesting team" is they can beat a few, maybe, in the top 50, then I look forward to the threads about those teams too.
If only the top 5 teams are worth any talking about, then that does kind of put a crimp on discussions. Massey had\has Princeton rated at #6 better than UTenn both in the before and after Izzy time for the Vols. Sagarin has the Tigers rated one spot behind UTenn at #7. Now the Vols appear worthy of 10 threads a page on the BY, so I'm guessing the Tigers might be worth at least one, and I'd also guess that on a neutral court the Tigers would stand a good chance of, as Massey predicts, beating the Vols. If Ball State could pull the trick against a 10-loss UTenn in a first round game 6 years ago, I'm thinking the Tigers could do the same against a likely 5-loss and Izzy-less Vols team in an Elite 8 game this year.

And no, according to the selection committee guidelines Princeton is not worthy of a top 4 seed, but the committee's placement of teams has never been a very sure sign of a team's true worth in the Tourney, as the fans of Maryland would attest last year and supporters from other teams can prove every other year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If only the top 5 teams are worth any talking about, then that does kind of put a crimp on discussions. Massey had\has Princeton rated at #6 better than UTenn both in the before and after Izzy time for the Vols. Sagarin has the Tigers rated one spot behind UTenn at #7. Now the Vols appear worthy of 10 threads a page on the BY, so I'm guessing the Tigers might be worth at least one, and I'd also guess that on a neutral court the Tigers would stand a good chance of, as Massey predicts, beating the Vols. If Ball State could pull the trick against a 10-loss UTenn in a first round game 6 years ago, I'm thinking the Tigers could do the same against a likely 5-loss and Izzy-less Vols team in an Elite 8 game this year.

And no, according to the selection committee guidelines Princeton is not worthy of a top 4 seed, but the committee's placement of teams has never been a very sure sign of a team's true worth in the Tourney, as the fans of Maryland would attest last year and supporters from other teams can prove every other year.

I have to apologize for that post. My truck battery died, robbing me of the opportunity to have my semi-annual face freezing at the dermatologist's torture chamber of liquid nitrogen. Princeton is a good story and they do basketball the right way. Heartening, really, that people want to talk about them.

Reaction Score
If I hadn't seen them play with my own eyes then I probably wouldn't even be interested in them. I'd probably think the same things you were posting- the team is in a weak conference and hasn't really played anyone worthy. They'll probably lose in the first round etc, etc.
But I have followed them and attended their games and there's far more than meets the eye to this team (and probably this program/coach as well).

Reaction Score

My money would be on Princeton if they meet in the NCAA's.

I think Maryland will once again be a Final Four team. Dee Brown's daughter leads a solid team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom