Previewing NC State / UConn game | The Boneyard

Previewing NC State / UConn game

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As seen from the NC State side

Funny quote at the end

“They’re UConn, you know? It’s a great challenge. We’re going to find out a lot about our team come Sunday afternoon,” Moore said before sprinkling some self-deprecating humor on the situation. “I know it’s going to be a big test for sure, and most of my life I have not done well on tests.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Will be a great game. From what I read, NCState isn't as strong in the post, they lost Cunane their 6'5 center who was really good- advantage UConn. UConn's bigs also run well and get down court quickly, so there will be opportunities there with fast break. NCState has a good guard defender, 6'0 Madison Hayes, who probably will be put on Azzi to slow her down. This will be a good opportunity for UConn to continue what it is doing well so far this year, and both Ayanna and especially Caroline will have chance to further get involved in game. NCstate has Diamond Johnson at guard and has a couple of good forwards, Jada Boyd and Jakia Brown-Turner, how well they perform will be big factor in outcome. Aaliyah is going to have a huge game.

I predict Azzi will get her 20+, Lou will get her 15+, Aubrey is going to go nuts, and UConn will win 78-70.

Reaction Score
Likely the best team, outside of South Carolina, UConn plays this year. Still coming together but has great depth. Talented in all positions. Should be fun game to watch.
Their small point guard is good. I hope she doesn’t get hot. I forget her name. Didn’t Rivers transfer there also?

Reaction Score
They were 11/19 from three and 39/69 overall yesterday. So agreeing with above - anticipate the kind of game that gets adrenaline up for fans. Wonderful to start the season with this level of competition - we've been waiting many months

Reaction Score
It’s way too early to mean much, but Massey has UConn and NC State three and four, behind SC and Stanford. This will be a great game.

Reaction Score
Their small point guard is good. I hope she doesn’t get hot. I forget her name. Didn’t Rivers transfer there also?
I don't think rivers has gotten many minutes and has not been much of a factor. Not saying she won't come around with all that athletic ability.

She is a pretty good defender despite having been hailed as a scorer out of high school.

I wish her well, but she hasn't gotten out of the shell - yet.

Reaction Score
I don't think rivers has gotten many minutes and has not been much of a factor. Not saying she won't come around with all that athletic ability.

She is a pretty good defender despite having been hailed as a scorer out of high school.

I wish her well, but she hasn't gotten out of the shell - yet.
I noticed that about her -- ten truckloads of athletic potential in Rivers, but hasn't yet figured out how to put it all together at this level. Her moment will come, I expect, though perhaps not this season.

I think this is not an unusual trajectory for kids hailed as scorers out of high school. Geno has talked about this a few times, about how defense is much harder to find in recruits and requires the most work when they get here. I suspect he also thinks it unlocks so much of their true potential, though the kids probably think only scoring counts at first. This is what he can teach them.

Rivers' defensive skills may yet be the path forward for her, if she focuses her attention there.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Diamond Johnson? Transferred from Rutgers prior to last season, I believe.

Reaction Score
This should be a good game. My issue in any prognostication is that with
UCS beating Charlotter 96 to 48, we have not seen State challenged yet,
as UCONN was with TEXAS. Charlotte shot 29. 2 % from the field and 18.2 % from
three point land. State was 55 . 7 from the field. and 50 points in the paint.
The Charlotte Coach stated after the game that during State's Run that they were
hitting " 70%". See the highlights.... You Tube... This was no contest. I 'll have to
but my thinking cap on for this game's prognostication!

Reaction Score
I think Johnson is a real threat, with Harmon like skills, though perhaps not her leadership. We'll see about this, I suppose. Raina could run the team last year. Can Diamond?

Wes used her sparingly against us last time, even though we could barely contain her on offense. But she was a significant defensive liability. If we can exploit her defense, this may limit how much she can be on the floor. And then we'll have to see how their subs at guard, James and Rivers, can play.

Madison Hayes may pose a challenge for Azzi, she's longer than Johnson. But she didn't see the floor much last year after transferring from Miss St, where she was also a bit player. I don't think she's really been tested at this level yet, so that's another question mark.

One last concern: this is their 5th game -- all against creampuffs, sure, but they simply have more game experience than we do. They may already have gelled more as a team than we have.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
As seen from the NC State side

Funny quote at the end

“They’re UConn, you know? It’s a great challenge. We’re going to find out a lot about our team come Sunday afternoon,” Moore said before sprinkling some self-deprecating humor on the situation. “I know it’s going to be a big test for sure, and most of my life I have not done well on tests.”
Maybe a minor point but should not the Fayetteville Observer's "observation" that the NC State took UConn to double OT actually be worded that UConn took NC Sate to double OT (as they were the higher ranked team last year)...

Reaction Score
I noticed that too, but you need to put it in the context of it coming from the local newspaper I suppose.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe a minor point but should not the Fayetteville Observer's "observation" that the NC State took UConn to double OT actually be worded that UConn took NC Sate to double OT (as they were the higher ranked team last year)...
I think the reference was based on the fact NC State was behind in points in the 1st OT

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Re: the upcoming game vs. NC State.
I don't have detailed stats for our game vs. Texss, but it seems that Azzi's opportunities to attempt and/or make 3's were relatively restricted in the first half compared to the second half. Why? Because coordination between her movements and her teammates' screens at and beyond the olde 3-point line were lacking. Even with her quickness and readiness to take shots out there, it just wasn't happening. Second half, both she and teammates were seeing and moving more efficiently. With a halfway decent screen and her quickness, she was able to take and make 3-pointers, and then set up opportunities for open shots and penetration as defenders struggled to keep up with her. Hope to see more of that kind of coordination this Sunday.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think the reference was based on the fact NC State was behind in points in the 1st OT
The wording is most common in reference to a team that lost in overtime: they "took [the winning team] to overtime" [before ultimately losing].

It's a Fayetteville outlet, so it makes sense that NC State is the subject of both the article and the grammatical sentence.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Justifiably optimistic article. This game will be another challenge just as the Texas game was.
I'd say so. Two top 10 team with a week. NC St will be as much of a challenge as Texas was. They've played Quinnipiac, Elon, Mt. St. Mary and Charlotte so far. None of them a top 25 team, or a real test for the Wolfpack by any means. [NC St. Schedule] NC St. Roster
Height wise..........they have a 6'5" River Baldwin and two 6'3" Mimi Collins / Camille Hobby, all seniors.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Funny quote at the end

Does anyone think Wes might be the new Gary Blair?:D

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Re: the upcoming game vs. NC State.
I don't have detailed stats for our game vs. Texss, but it seems that Azzi's opportunities to attempt and/or make 3's were relatively restricted in the first half compared to the second half.

Azzi stated that she was actually open in the 1st half for 3's but didn't hunt her shot...I just watched the game and concur.

One point about Azzi's performance in the 3rd and 4th quarters:
It's not like she was standing around.saving her energy during the first half, so that she'd have a full tank for the end of the game...Rather she worked like a demon throughout the entire game, both on offense and defense...running around like a mad-woman.

She's in great shape...

But one wants to give her a bit more game time off (if possible)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Azzi stated that she was actually open in the 1st half for 3's but didn't hunt her shot...I just watched the game and concur.

One point about Azzi's performance in the 3rd and 4th quarters:
It's not like she was standing around.saving her energy during the first half, so that she'd have a full tank for the end of the game...Rather she worked like a demon throughout the entire game, both on offense and defense...running around like a mad-woman.

She's in great shape...

But one wants to give her a bit more game time off (if possible)
When I stated in other posts..."don't wait for the game to come to you, go get it." This is what I was referring to. Change that mindset. THAT'S how you find yourself behind at the end of the 1st quarter or the half. :confused:

Come out of the tunnel shooting!!! Put the opponent on their heels from the tip. Don't let them get comfortable or find a rhythm. :mad: Let THEM play catch up. Take what your opponent gives you.

NC St. stats through 4 games

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom