Presser question | The Boneyard

Presser question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I'm curious about how the student athletes are selected for the post-game media gathering. Does the NCAA choose, ESPN, the coaches, some combination thereof?

A related question: Since the players aren't pros and therefore aren't under a contract which requires their presence, can they refuse to meet the media?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm curious about how the student athletes are selected for the post-game media gathering. Does the NCAA choose, ESPN, the coaches, some combination thereof?

A related question: Since the players aren't pros and therefore aren't under a contract which requires their presence, can they refuse to meet the media?
I believe the media gets to request which players they want to come to the podium. The media also has access to players in the locker room for a limited amount of time after the game. Mostly a combination of inputs though.
Don't think the players can refuse, probably in the fine print of the scholarship agreement to represent the School if requested.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I thought it was the coaches who got to choose which players to bring. But that's just a W.A.G. on my part - it makes sense that the media could request which ones they wanted to see, but on the flip side, if they can't "agree" on who they want to see, not sure how they would determine...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I believe the media can make requests, but I also think the coach/players can veto, and while the locker room is 'open' for certain periods, if a player doesn't want to face the media their is always the trainers room.

Reaction Score
The Sports Information Director will typically walk down the press row and see who the reporters want to speak to, and then the SID will typically choose the players. I'm sure the coaches van veto or change who goes, but that's typically the starting point.

Reaction Score
I remember a couple of years ago when UConn was still on CPTV and during the Geno Auriemma Show with Meg Culmo, they also had a media person on. I am paraphrasing on this..... Geno said to her "I have no idea why you guys keep requesting Bria (Hartley)" The woman from the media said "Because she's a good sound bite"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom