Preseason jitters: a tribute to Stef and Bria | The Boneyard

Preseason jitters: a tribute to Stef and Bria

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It hasn't always been easy being Stefanie Dolson and Bria Hartley.

The two of them inherited an impossible situation. Imagine what it's like inheriting 78-0 with two national championships. That's an impossible amount of pressure for two freshmen. Samarie Walker may not have been totally able to handle it. Lauren Engeln and Michala Johnson simply lacked the tools to contribute. But Bria had to step in for the injured Caroline Doty, and jeez, Stef only had to be the starting post in place of the great (and I mean GREAT) Tina Charles. No sweat, right?

Well, UConn did get to 89 (in fact 90) in a row. I had two memorable Bria moments during the final 12 wins: huge baskets down the stretch against Baylor, streak shots against Florida State that were so reliable Geno actually kissed her on the cheek during the next timeout. She just didn't have enough to match Stanford's firepower. Neither did Stef. Both continued to play well within the backdrop of what the expectations were in Maya's last season. Stef started blowing up as a freshman, with her play against DePaul magnificent. Both kids had great games respectively against Notre Dame (Bria in the second game against the two, Stef in the BET finals).

And then of course UConn has the disappointing result in the fourth game against ND. And with Maya's exit, there's perhaps even more pressure. Interestingly, the two swap regression seasons. Whereas Bria steps up big-time in 201-12, Stef takes a step back. Geno lets her hear it from time to time, though he often makes excuses for her. In any case, they prove to be reliable pieces in a team that makes the Final Four again. Disappointing loss notwithstanding, a stellar 2012 recruiting class is coming in, Bria secures herself the name "Hartley" on the Huskies of Honor wall, and other than Tiffany Hayes, the core of the team is coming back.

Their junior year was eventful and for a long time a mirror image of the regression and progression swapping. Stef blossoms into the player we've always hoped she would. Geno's not just saying it now; she's without a doubt the second best center in WCBB. It seems obvious she'll make WBCA AA, which she does, securing the name "Dolson" on the Huskies of Honor wall. Bria, meanwhile, takes a step back due to an ankle injury and associated psychological problems. Despite this, she's capable of igniting a spark against both Notre Dame and Lousville. Oh yeah, UConn won a national championship. That happened. Remember the unfair pressure on them as freshmen? Well, they can say they annihilated the pressure now. Sure, UConn probably isn't a championship team without Kaleena or Breanna, but you can't take away from Bria and Stef what they've meant to this program.

Well, now it's senior time for Bria and Stef. Looks like a fun season. UConn will spend some time, possibly even all of it, as the #1 team in the country. A second consecutive national championship isn't a given, but barring injuries, it seems like a very solid bet. UConn has some great opponents: Stanford, Duke, Louisville, Maryland, and others. And Bria and Stef will be the senior leaders for all of it.

On top of everything else, we can enjoy a special Senior Night this season in which both the names Hartley and Dolson will be unveiled on the wall. We know Geno loves both of them. He's said if he had more Stef Dolsons, he'd coach another 20 years (Um...can we please find some, then?). We saw the touching, prolonged embrace between he and Bria after UConn's demolition of Louisville. Senior Night won't be the easiest night for them (or him), but it'll be one to look forward to.

Finally, there will be a time to say goodbye to these two young women. I expect them to join Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, and Tiffany Hayes, as the only UConn players to start for four national semifinals. They're probably expecting the same thing for themselves. See- not so much pressure of expectation for them anymore, is there? That's to their credit.

Thank you, Stef and Bria. And may you leave the UConn continuum of greatness even more daunting.

Reaction Score
Really enjoyed the article, Alex. Would be nice if the girls got to read it. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
ALEX_: Obviously, very nicely done....and heartfelt.

Reaction Score
And they both start off their Senior Seasons by being invited to the USAA Basketball Mini-Camp in Las Vegas....

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
They're both NY girls. They breed them tough here. Think there's a few others in the UConn stew that will help them go ka-ching ka-chong at the NC cash-in register.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I can't believe that Bria and Stef have 3/4 of their UConn careers behind them. Didn't they just arrive?

Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, and Tiffany Hayes. That's a nice group!!

Not only did Stef have to replace the great Tina Charles, she had to face Griner in her second collegiate game. Oh, and Stef chose to wear Tina's number. No pressure there! :)

Reaction Score
They're both NY girls. They breed them tough here. Think there's a few others in the UConn stew that will help them go ka-ching ka-chong at the NC cash-in register.

That NY edginess and swagger on the court and class off the court fits the UCONN mold and is an extension of Geno's personality.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
You know, I never bump old threads, but Senior Night is now a week away. I know there's another game at SMU first, but after 20+ points from both Bria and Stef tonight, I wanted to revive the tribute to these two that I felt they deserved. I take nothing back; every word of my OP was heartfelt and still applies.

Gonna be one hell of a Senior Night next Saturday. I'll certainly be there.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You know, I never bump old threads, but Senior Night is now a week away. I know there's another game at SMU first, but after 20+ points from both Bria and Stef tonight, I wanted to revive the tribute to these two that I felt they deserved. I take nothing back; every word of my OP was heartfelt and still applies.

Gonna bell one hell of a Senior NIght next Saturday. I'll certainly be there.
Thanks for bumping it up. The timing is perfect. The seniors were stellar today.

Raise the roof for Senior Night!

Reaction Score
Love these two, and I'll miss them dearly when they are in the WNBA. The best part of watching Uconn is that you get to see great girls turn into incredible women. The worst part is that they'll move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom