Preseason AP Poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Preseason AP Poll

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If we returned our entire starting lineup including the NPOY from a team that was a 1 seed we would riot if we weren't getting ranked high in preseason polls. Just because the middle of the Big Ten is overrated every year doesn't mean Purdue is not a really good team, and it's okay to admit that

Purdue is fine. BETTER than last year I think. It's such a casual fan thing to get worked up about a legit ranking of a team for regular season just because they have tourney flame out history. Guess what? Last year it was them and us through December, 2 unranked teams beating EVERYONE. And then we tanked January and Purdue didn't. Then Purdue tanked March and WE didn't. Basketball, How does it work? Im fine with them going wire to wire #1 regular season if they keep earning it, rest assured in March Painter will find another way to huff a spray can. Or maybe they don't and it's their year finally. Either way, we've got our own plow to pull. Purdue has to to their thing. We have to do ours. But what does a preseason ranking have to do with tourney performance? Absolutely nothing.

Reaction Score
And don’t give me the final four stuff. Outside an Ohio state football championship in 25 years has that league won anything? A bunch of third place finishes in such an overrated conference. They get 10 teams a year to get bounced early. Anyone who supports that conference I immediately de-value their opinion - such as yours.
That conference gets more hype than anybody, and then they end up doing the least with it. Nothing worse than late Sunday afternoons in February after NFL is over and you’re forced to watch mich st vs Wisconsin on CBS. Lol

Reaction Score
Purdue is fine. BETTER than last year I think. It's such a casual fan thing to get worked up about a legit ranking of a team for regular season just because they have tourney flame out history. Guess what? Last year it was them and us through December, 2 unranked teams beating EVERYONE. And then we tanked January and Purdue didn't. Then Purdue tanked March and WE didn't. Basketball, How does it work? Im fine with them going wire to wire #1 regular season if they keep earning it, rest assured in March Painter will find another way to huff a spray can. Or maybe they don't and it's their year finally. Either way, we've got our own plow to pull. Purdue has to to their thing. We have to do ours. But what does a preseason ranking have to do with tourney performance? Absolutely nothing.
Boiler Up! I think they get to a Final Four this year

Reaction Score
Big East has 3 in top 8. Why is no one talking about this juggernaut?!
Oh, they are.

In less than four weeks, we'll be poring over the first set of game results and no doubt jumping to all the wrong conclusions. But one assessment seems incontrovertible for the 2023-24 season: The Big East is loaded. Three teams -- defending champion UConn along with Marquette and Creighton -- have legitimate designs on an NCAA title. Villanova, the league's fourth-best squad, can point to a pair of national championships and a trio of No. 1 seeds in the past decade. In short, the Big East can dream of repeating its seemingly unrepeatable feat from 1985: a record three Final Four teams in the same year. It's an unlikely outcome, to be sure, but one that was unthinkable when the conference split from its football members in 2013. Yes, the headlines might proclaim a "football is king" narrative, but apparently the Big East folks didn't get the memo.

August_West

Reaction Score
Oh, they are.

In less than four weeks, we'll be poring over the first set of game results and no doubt jumping to all the wrong conclusions. But one assessment seems incontrovertible for the 2023-24 season: The Big East is loaded. Three teams -- defending champion UConn along with Marquette and Creighton -- have legitimate designs on an NCAA title. Villanova, the league's fourth-best squad, can point to a pair of national championships and a trio of No. 1 seeds in the past decade. In short, the Big East can dream of repeating its seemingly unrepeatable feat from 1985: a record three Final Four teams in the same year. It's an unlikely outcome, to be sure, but one that was unthinkable when the conference split from its football members in 2013. Yes, the headlines might proclaim a "football is king" narrative, but apparently the Big East folks didn't get the memo.

Trilly has 4 big East teams in top 11

Reaction Score
You read into it wrong. Of course preseason rankings mean nothing. It has everything to do with the ridiculous overrating of that conference and how “experts” view that conference which leads to them getting 10 teams in the field - which they don’t deserve. And it’s been going on for a decade.

August_West

Reaction Score
You read into it wrong. Of course preseason rankings mean nothing. It has everything to do with the ridiculous overrating of that conference and how “experts” view that conference which leads to them getting 10 teams in the field - which they don’t deserve. And it’s been going on for a decade.

I read into it right. I watch hoops every year closely for a LONG time. Big10 for whatever reason SUCKS during tourney time. But Im not going to sit here and lie and say that they don't earn December and January rankings. Those are good teams who beat up a ton of people OOC. Why that doesnt translate to tourney, I cant tell you (style of play?) but it's not like they don't win OOC games against other really good teams. . They absolutely do. Now you know I'm no math whiz. Just the eye tester of the boneyard.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think the Hunter Dickinson impact at KU is somewhat overrated. Interesting to see how it works out
Nah, because they had no center at all. So the upgrade is pretty massive. But the rest of the team is thin as hell. Should not be #1. I'm not into the "cuffs" like August, but UConn is a very tough matchup for KU, even at home. UConn at #6 is fair for now.

Purdue is going to be good. Edey has more experience, and the guards should be much better with a year of experience. I think Duke has the most talent. I really don't know what to expect from Michigan State. They could be the highly ranked team that doesn't live up to the hype.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Calm Down Beavis And Butthead GIF by Paramount+
With the bets or with my aggravation at the 6 spot?

August_West

Reaction Score
With the bets or with my aggravation at the 6 spot?
Ha.

No. Id like to think we win another Natty. But I also think that preseason 6 IS NOT disrespect. I think if anything it is total respect. We just lost the three amigos (Adama, Andre Jordan) . We replaced them with some damn fine players. That is why we have a 6 rank, but hell, let them grow. I know we are UConn but it is HARD to win a title (just not as hard for us)

August_West

Reaction Score
But the rest of the team is thin as hell. Should not be #1. I'm not into the "cuffs" like August, but UConn is a very tough matchup for KU,

Dont slowplay us, jailhawk fan. I know how this works.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Trilly says the dress is blue and black

Reaction Score
Purdue #3? After losing to #16 seed Fairleigh Dickenson last year--a team that shot a lights out 7-23 from 3 point range in that game. Not well coached and overrated players, in an overrated conference

Reaction Score
Preseason AP rankings and updates throughout the season are not weighted based on expected tournament performance

Purdue will likely flame out in the first weekend, because flaming out is just what they do. That should have 0 impact on their AP ranking. They are bringing back nearly everybody from a 1 seeded team that won 29 games. It’d be crazy to not have them top 5

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Purdue consistently being a top 10 team and consistently getting smoked in the first weekend of the tournament is hilarious to me.

Reaction Score
UConn disrespected at #6. UConn will play with a chip on their shoulders as a result.
As Hurley said in that interview with Jon Rothstein, he'll find something to play the disrespected card with his players.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Does anyone know on average where the defending champs are normally ranked in the pre season? I’m assuming it’s usually 1-5, but maybe I’m wrong.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Boiler Up! I think they get to a Final Four this year

What in the actual hell is "Boiler Up"? And why would anyone ever say that? Maybe staring in solitude at a 50 year-old newspaper clipping of Rick Mount but my goodness. Cringe on cringe.

Reaction Score
What in the actual hell is "Boiler Up"? And why would anyone ever say that? Maybe staring in solitude at a 50 year-old newspaper clipping of Rick Mount but my goodness. Cringe on cringe.
Boiler Up - Purdue

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom