Prediction: Uconn 87 UCLA 56 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Prediction: Uconn 87 UCLA 56

Reaction Score
I think UConn's defense will be the difference maker in this one. Here's why:

Canada averages 8 assists a game (a large share of the 22 a game for UCLA as a team). Geno will have Kia and Dangerfield deny her the ball all night and make someone else make plays. I see the UCLA struggling to get into its offense as a result. Advantage UConn.

UCLA senior Guard Kelli Hayes has had a rough shooting start to the year (.368%). UConn plays excellent defense even when all 5 opposing players can score. If only 4 of the 5 are scoring threats? Look out. Sagging off of Hayes will even further make life difficult for UCLA's posts.

I actually really like UCLA's team and coach. I do think it's important for UConn to get off to a good start, but ultimately I think UConn's defensive pressure will be too much for UCLA. UConn wins it 84-66.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
The basketball spirits hate hubris...

We have not yet played our best by any stretch... Lou out, Pheesa not dominating as she has, turnovers and missed layups by the bucket-load, first stop on the west coast swing. UCLA can really pull this off in the House that Wooden Built. Fouls to key players may be an issue anticipating super aggressive UCLA play. Last time Billings put up a large double-double 17 and 16; Canada 20 and 11 asts. If our deficient areas suddenly turn around, we win. But is that reasonable given the travel circumstances and lack of practice time since the last game?
UCLA 66 UConn 64

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The only Lexington Avenue I know is the one with the 4-5-6 trains.

Maybe they should change the name from Hunter to UCLA East.
(On the corner of 68 St and Lexington).

Reaction Score
I hate when some people don't recognize a score prediction that is clearly intended and necessary to appease the Mojo gods.
+1
It was hard work, but Meyers7 took the bullet for the rest of us.

7a-sacrifice-holds-up-heart.jpg

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I've UConn by 18-22. UConn's offense with Z just isn't consistent enough right now to do much better. Unless somehow there is a improvement in their rhythm, their recognition, their reaction and their flow, I don't see more. Now, will this come? Oh yeah baby. In time. Just not by tomorrow.

The caveat is if Dangerous hits her 3's at a high rate, as does Kia. If Pheese snaps out of her offensive funk and Gabby nullifies Billings and cuts out silly TO's. If Z stays out of foul trouble and is the handful she should be against smaller foes, and the team plays consistent defense. Well, it's UConn by 35 at the half.
I agree with all of your "ifs." If they happen, there should be no problem.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what will happen tonight. Should be a tight first half with UConn up 10. I would love to see the big 3rd quarter push and put the game away. Can we score 30 in the first quarter? 91-69 UConn.

LADan

Have seen UConn beat Zags twice to get to Final 4
Reaction Score
Been waiting for this game since it was announced. UCLA will play Huskies tough but UConn should win by at least 10. Going to predict 81-71 UConn win at Pauley.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm concerned about the flight mostly, but also about UCLA's quickness and Lou's absence. I hope we win by 30, but I'll take a win with a modest margin. Our half court offense has been rough so far. I'll be there and be loud.
Double like. I see you too Mil.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I agree with all of your "ifs." If they happen, there should be no problem.
Yeah. Well, even I occasionally fall victim to spouting "If's". Nevevertheless, I don't believe in them. I sound like a broken record, but if's and buts are for nits and nuts. UConn by 18.

Reaction Score
A few posters recognize that Canada really runs the show for UCLA. To me it looks very similar to O. Sims at Baylor a few years ago. Canada has a 6 to 1 assist to turnover ratio (ave. 8 assists a game.) Unlike Sims, Canada scores 18 a game. UConn usually takes away the best player(s) as a main strategy. *I know Canada and Billings had big games last time. So, say they each get 20 and the next 3 players on the floor have to score 40 -- to have a chance of winning... just don't see it. Biggest advantage (as most posters know) is UConn has 5 starters who could drop 20. UCLA has a major drop-off with players after Billings and Canada.
If Kia and Danger are off, then UConn will win by single digits.

Reaction Score
This will be a challenge, and probably not comfortable until the final minutes, but UCLA is simply too "young" as a top program to pull off a win like this.

UConn 79-67 UCLA

Reaction Score
With it being the 3rd game in 5 days, all the traveling, plus Lou on the bench, I also see a relatively close one. But our Huskies prevail 93-75. Meg's shot starts falling and she scores over 20. Z with another dub-dub, the core 4 are once again solid, with a monster game by the Gabulous one.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I think Tony erred on the side of caution.

Reaction Score
Tough, tight, game, UCONN pulling away at the end - Huskies 83 UCLA 68

Reaction Score
No chance. UCONN has to travel 3000 miles to play the #4 team on their home court, without KLS, on one days rest (a traveling day). No way, no how. Baby bears pretty easily. 82-69.
Close, but no cigar.....Uconn 82. UCLA 76.

Reaction Score
Here's a thought: the D that UConn has layed on their opponents in the first half of each game so far this season is the best I have seen in 30 years of watching this team. That isn't an accident. They are focused. They are fast with serious quicks. They get the game. They get a hand in the passing lanes. They anticipate. This is no accident.

No team can prepare for what this group is going to do to them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom