Post Game thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Post Game thread

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I can't wait for Jalen to be gone and for someone who actually cares to be the leader of this team.

Reaction Score
The manner in which the game was officiated - not necessarily bad but close - minimized adjustments that could be made. We needed to do what USF did - take almost everything to the rim.

Reaction Score
Hurley hasn't learned yet that these guys aren't capable of figuring it out, they need hands held on every possession or they will do something stupid.

Reaction Score
I really hope we see some defections. I won't name names but there are players who simply don't belong on a UConn roster.

It's an uncomfortable sentiment, because they genuinely are good kids who do things the right way and you want to see them succeed, but...yeah...

Reaction Score
2nd half of Villanova: 19-0 run.
2nd half of USF: 22-7 or something.

He fails to make adjustments after the half. Sure the players are also playing like complete losers but come on man.

What adjustments would you have made?

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Can’t rebound. Can’t stop turning it over.

Bad combo.

Reaction Score
How do you adjust to having poor players? Take the team off the floor and leave the arena?
How did the USF coach adjust with a far less talented team? Love Hurley, great hire but let’s be honest - he’s not off to a great start on the court. Fortunately his most important job this year (recruiting) is off to a great start.

Reaction Score
Polley is a good player, he just doesn’t fit well as a 4, and especially isn’t a good fit as a 4 when our 5 can’t rebound

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
USF is entirely made up of transfers. I think they had like 1 player who didn’t transfer in or red shirt last year. This is flat out embarrassing. We have a veteran team, albeit a veteran team that has never won but a veteran team none the less.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I just want one big man who's a grinder down low and works in the weight room to get stronger and takes pride in playing defense and rebounding. If I was 6'10 250 like Carlton and was getting thrown around like a rag doll I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

Reaction Score
USF is entirely made up of transfers. I think they had like 1 player who didn’t transfer in or red shirt last year. This is flat out embarrassing. We have a veteran team, albeit a veteran team that has never won but a veteran team none the less.
They looked like men though, we have a bunch of boys.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If Yakwe isn’t healthy by Saturday UCF will beat us something like 92-67

Reaction Score
If we don't play full court ball with our 3 or 4 guard lineups we will continue to lose. Our guards are having to rebound and give help with severe mismatch problems against 6'8 guys that can handle. Id like to see more pressing otherwise we will get burned down low and continue to foul. We need to have Sid and Carlton on the back end of our press and just KEEP running.

Playing a zone here and there may help... our fouls are causing us to have too many rotations. Find 8 guys and run with them!

And I'm sick of the pressure out on players at 40 ft only to get burned inside the 3 pt line...it does us nothing but have to give help and open up the offensive glass! Pack it in and make teams make some shots!

Reaction Score
No excuse for them playing this badly but our frontcourt is disgustingly bad, probably the worst in the entire country. It certainly isn't our only problem but it's by far our most glaring along with our mentality.

Hurley has a proven track record or turning around sinking/sunk ships. It doesn't happen right away but I'm confident it will happen. He will be bringing in his type of players and more talented players.
He better and I hope so. Or these 840 games wine at 1020 against central Wyoming state on Facebook. I can’t imagine ticket sales blowing up for many games this year against the other teams not picked last in the aac. Recruiting will die on the vine. I’m so damn sad and I’m a 45 year old father of three. I should never have bought all this UConn swag at bob’s after 2015.

Reaction Score
Polley is hurting this team. Has 1 rebound in 3 games. He has to hit threes and he hasn’t been. Can’t play D.

Hurley can’t do much with this roster. Just like Ollie. Oh well season over. We will have a losing season again. I don’t care what anyone says. This is not a good USF team. Scrappy yes but not good.

Polley doesn't move his feet. That prevents him from playing defense and rebounding. He's not the quickest guy in the world, but it's more than a quickness issue. He simply doesn't move his feet at all. It's mind-boggling.

Reaction Score

Is bad prior coaching and bad prior experience worse than none at all? Quite possibly.

Reaction Score
Not sure I understand what Hurley’s substitution strategy was tonight. Seems like he was subbing just to get guys minutes instead of subbing based on who was playing smart and with effort. When the energy is that low and guys are making boneheaded plays left and right (turnovers, not boxing out, etc.) I wish he would call a timeout and lay into a guy. Tough love gets a player’s attention (example: Jim Calhoun). My dad texted me during that five minute stretch at the start of the second half saying if he was Hurley he would have called a timeout and said “the next guy to throw the ball away is walking back to CT”.

With that said Hurley can’t make the 3 go in for Polley or stop the free throw shooter from getting the rebound, but c’mon. He has to set the tone that this kind of play is unacceptable at UConn. Mistakes like that against Nova are understandable, but at the end of the day this was USF and we still had the better players.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
2nd half of Villanova: 19-0 run.
2nd half of USF: 22-7 or something.

He fails to make adjustments after the half. Sure the players are also playing like complete losers but come on man.

I do agree, two games are a large enough sample to make wild judgements on his ability.

Reaction Score
I can't wait for Jalen to be gone and for someone who actually cares to be the leader of this team.
Regarding the Jalen hate. Keep in mind the coaches selected him preseason POY. They all see something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom