Post game thoughts | The Boneyard

Post game thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe J Mac should have gotten a shot, didn't see any screens, nothing to Griffin, no outs, they challanged deep a few times but Whitmer looked down his received most of the time.

They should scap the wildcat, I don't how many times I saw 3 receivers on one side, crappy play calling, terrible loss, this is on the coaching staff and Whitmer.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Isn't it usually on the coaching staff? Cant tell you how many times I read things on here after a loss blaming Edsell for play calling. Seems like the same old if that's the case.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The defense was simply amazing. It's easy for people to think that NC St was inept on offense but the reality is, our Defense is just that sick. They shut them down in every aspect. There was one perfectly placed pass that was the difference here.

As for the offense...where to start. The O-Line was outmatched and gave little to no help for McCombs to find space and didn't allow Whitmer much time. Whitmer looked like his arm was weak. That could have been the wind, I wasn;t there but the announcers said the wind was a major factor. So I'll give him the pass on that. However, he missed a few wide open receivers. Finally, the play-calling was as vanilla as it was in the UMass game. So much for all you that believed the offense was bland because they didn't wanna give away so much for NC St. Didn't DeLeone show all of you! LoL! The wildcat is worthless and I really could live without ever seeing it again. I don't think we gained ANY positive yardage from it.

In the end, this team has a lot of work to do on Offense if it wants to even DREAM about beating Maryland. There's a shot we could end up being 1-3 when we return to the Rent vs Buffalo......right now this season, as young as it is, is eerily like last season on offense.....

Reaction Score
I would like to see Joseph Williams in on a couple snaps a game... During practices all I was hearing was how he was embarrassing the D, and our D, from what we've seen so far, ain't no JOKE! During the off season the O was not blocking for him, but he was making his own wholes or cutting it from one side of the field to the opposite side and took off for touchdowns.

Reaction Score
We have a great defense, no question about it, but they can't win games by themselves.

when you have 4 turnovers, bad qb play, a weak running game, you cant convert 3rd downs, and offensively, the team is just so predictable. Now let me clarify that predictable comment. Predictable means that deleone has the same game plan, with slight variations, for every opponent no matter who they are playing against, nor the strength of our offensive matchups, nor the circumstances of the game, nor how the defense wants to play. its a different qb this year, more weapons, but the offense looks the same. Deleone's play calling doesn't cater to the strengths of our team.

I don't mind the wildcat, however, it just seems like the timing of it, hurts the drives more than its helps. And most importantly the wildcat plays are predictable. Complete a 30 yard pass, no problem, bring in the wildcat, and despite the fact that the interior of the line is always geting pushed back 4 yards lets, run the ball up the middle with a rb who only weighs 170 pounds for the 15th time. why doesn't deleone want to use McCombs strengths, and get him in the open field, instead he tries to use McCombs to pound the ball up the middle with a bad o-line.

Did anyone notice that we still don't have a back up running back neither delorenzo nor joe williams are going to get any carrries, these guys have different skill sets from McCombs and it would create some variety to get them some carries. . Our interior lineman cannot be trusted.

Reaction Score
Isn't it usually on the coaching staff? Cant tell you how many times I read things on here after a loss blaming Edsell for play calling. Seems like the same old if that's the case.

I'll give you credit. You never spelled Edsall's name correctly when he was here, so at least you're consistent.

Reaction Score
We have a great defense, no question about it, but they can't win games by themselves.

when you have 4 turnovers, bad qb play, a weak running game, you cant convert 3rd downs, and offensively, the team is just so predictable. Now let me clarify that predictable comment. Predictable means that deleone has the same game plan, with slight variations, for every opponent no matter who they are playing against, nor the strength of our offensive matchups, nor the circumstances of the game, nor how the defense wants to play. its a different qb this year, more weapons, but the offense looks the same. Deleone's play calling doesn't cater to the strengths of our team.

I don't mind the wildcat, however, it just seems like the timing of it, hurts the drives more than its helps. And most importantly the wildcat plays are predictable. Complete a 30 yard pass, no problem, bring in the wildcat, and despite the fact that the interior of the line is always geting pushed back 4 yards lets, run the ball up the middle with a rb who only weighs 170 pounds for the 15th time. why doesn't deleone want to use McCombs strengths, and get him in the open field, instead he tries to use McCombs to pound the ball up the middle with a bad o-line.

Did anyone notice that we still don't have a back up running back neither delorenzo nor joe williams are going to get any carrries, these guys have different skill sets from McCombs and it would create some variety to get them some carries. . Our interior lineman cannot be trusted.

I have noticed... instead of using Max or Joe to run up the middle we are using a back that weighs 166lbs at 5'7 to run up the middle and then expect Whitmer to answer on 3rd and long every time it's not going to happen!!!! Max is 5'11 214 with power and Joe 5'11 205 with explosive speed... I don't understand why DeLeone is not utilizing there talents.

N.C. State used Moose on a few drives then Washington on other drives

pj

Reaction Score
The defense was OUTSTANDING -- MUCH BETTER THAN TENNESSEE's, the special teams excellent. The offense looked like they had no experience together and were just beginning to learn what they could do.

I think we have to remember there's a lot of inexperience. QB in his second 1-A game (practically his first), the top receivers are apparently Geremy Davis and Nick Williams who are inexperienced, Lyle McCombs and other backfield members are inexperienced receivers yet we needed them to catch the ball today. Still, they should have put together enough drives for field goals to win this game. The offensive players have their limitations, but the coaches failed to get them ready and into position to succeed.

Whitmer will have to learn to check down and go to the open guy.

I think the offense is going to be much better by the end of the season. But they have no depth. I hope there are no injuries and that the defense doesn't get hurt by spending too much time on the field.

If we can't throw out of the wildcat, we'll have to give it up. We just don't have the dominant line or running backs to run successfully when the defense knows it is coming and can stack the line.

Reaction Score
Maybe J Mac should have gotten a shot, didn't see any screens, nothing to Griffin, no outs, they challanged deep a few times but Whitmer looked down his received most of the time.

They should scap the wildcat, I don't how many times I saw 3 receivers on one side, crappy play calling, terrible loss, this is on the coaching staff and Whitmer.
guys we have to have a qb go though some growing pains. I know everyone was excited to have whitmer and he is a real quarterback but it is going to take a full season to gel with receivers and know the plays and timing etc...
Please tell me everyone didn't think we were going to see 300 yard passing per game on his first season. Whitmer is a real qb and he will be good guys. Does anyone remember Brett farve early years
I agree the wildcrap needs to go. We don't use it right.
I have no idea why we don't screen or hurry up. Every other college team does it seems.
Mccombs is. A sweep runner He could of had 130 yards vs umass if we would use him in a sweep instead of up the middle into a wall

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
guys we have to have a qb go though some growing pains. I know everyone was excited to have whitmer and he is a real quarterback but it is going to take a full season to gel with receivers and know the plays and timing etc...
Please tell me everyone didn't think we were going to see 300 yard passing per game on his first season. Whitmer is a real qb and he will be good guys. Does anyone remember Brett farve early years
I agree the wildcrap needs to go. We don't use it right.
I have no idea why we don't screen or hurry up. Every other college team does it seems.
Mccombs is. A sweep runner He could of had 130 yards vs umass if we would use him in a sweep instead of up the middle into a wall

True. Whitmer probably deserves a lot more patience than we've offered him, myself included. I think the idea that Butler CC has seasoned him and prepared him for a game against the likes of an NCState is probably not fair. It's just a hard loss to swallow, because it was there for the taking...

Reaction Score
The wild cat works against teams like Syracuse where you can get a really good push up front and have McCummings run downhill. It doesn't work against teams with good interior defenses and obviously UConn's OLine isn't playing well at all right now.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
From my perspective, this game all hangs on the offensive line, DeLeone and Whitmer:
- The number of false starts and illegal procedures were unacceptable, particularly at home and how many plays did Whitmer's feet get stepped on? Two or three or four?
- The playcalling was uninspired at best, particularly on short yardage. I continue to detest following any good play with a change in offensive personnel.
- Whitmer's judgment was absolutely horrible. Two of the three interceptions were balls that should not been thrown at all and he had more than a few other balls which could easily have been picked.

I think we're going to take our lumps with Whitmer but I strongly believe that he is still an upgrade over JMac and just needs more experience. There is no second option right now at QB so let's hope he gets better. Not sure what to say about the OLine and DeLeone though. If we couldn't get push against UMass, I'm not sure who we will be able to bully on the line.

All of this is such a shame because our defense is truly special this year. I was so impressed with their ability to put pressure on to Glennon, force him into bad throws, control the running game, and most importantly, sustain this over all four quarters. In spite of how bad our offense was, the defense put them into a position to tie or win the game with plenty of time left on the clock. Our offense let them down in a big way.

I still think we have a decent chance against Maryland and I'm actually more optimistic about Western Michigan given how our defense has played. We need to start seeing the game to game improvement in performance from Whitmer. We gave up the ball to the other team FOUR times this game and we still had a chance to win it all.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My most significant post game thought is Why would some f#&king A steal my flags & flagpole.

Had a very good time (outcome excepted) at the game, I love our defense and am speechless (and frustrated beyond description) over our offensive play calling (and what appears to be lack of any game plan beyond throwing so many different formations and plays as possible at the defense, making it impossible for the offense to develop any rhythm).

When I got to my car after the game I found one of my flagpoles missing (the one with an irreplaceable 2004 double national championship banner, along with a replaceable NY Yankee flag) and the bolt that anchors the flagpole to the stand also gone (a dead givaway that some b@st@rd stole the flags & pole).

I know that something similar happened to 3rd and One (Joe Griffin) a couple of years back at USF. I felt for Joe when that happened and now I can say I'm part of the same club.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
My most significant post game thought is Why would some f#&king A steal my flags & flagpole.

Had a very good time (outcome excepted) at the game, I love our defense and am speechless (and frustrated beyond description) over our offensive play calling (and what appears to be lack of any game plan beyond throwing so many different formations and plays as possible at the defense, making it impossible for the offense to develop any rhythm).

When I got to my car after the game I found one of my flagpoles missing (the one with an irreplaceable 2004 double national championship banner, along with a replaceable NY Yankee flag) and the bolt that anchors the flagpole to the stand also gone (a dead givaway that some b@st@rd stole the flags & pole).

I know that something similar happened to 3rd and One (Joe Griffin) a couple of years back at USF. I felt for Joe when that happened and now I can say I'm part of the same club.
sorry to hear that man, I bolt all my cr@p down there, and even pull my pole base before I go in.

post the yard some pics for the flags so we can watch for them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom