Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno in rare form:

http://www.usabasketball.com/womens/national/12_woly_game_06_quotes.html
On why he told the team it was fun to watch against China:

When the team is coming together, you know who the individuals are and you know what they are capable of doing, but you never quite sure whether it is actually going to happen, because they all have their own personalities, they all have their own egos; that’s how they got be where they are now – great players. So you hope that they are the right people, not the right players. It’s easy to get players, but it’s hard to get players who are the right people. I’ve been fortunate to be around some of these players for a long time … in other scenarios, but never in the Olympics. So, I envisioned something like what happened in the China game happening, and when I saw it happen I was like a fan. I just sat there and watched and I was like, “man, I know I’m probably speaking for everyone who is watching this game.” It’s fun to watch when we are playing like that, it really is.

On whether it was more defensively than offensively:

This team competes really, really hard. And when we do that on the defensive end … when you’ve got, every one of these guys is a great offensive player on their own team. How many national players of the year in college are on this team? They don’t need to be shown how to score. But you’ve got to draw up some things for them defensively because that may not have been their forte in college or in the pros. I don’t think a lot people made this team because they are great defenders.

On the team’s goals during the Olympics:

Somebody put some shirts ion our room last week, saying Road to Respect and I thought that’s kind of dumb, that’s kind of dumb. Sue’s won two gold medals and she’s won two WNBA championships, and she’s won probably a million European championships or Russian championships, and world championships for the U.S. And two national championships at UConn. If they don’t respect her by now, and all those other players, screw them. We don’t need T-shirts or goals to say we have a slogan. We have won slogan: Earning respect from your teammates, your coaching staff, and your opponent. Other than that, I could care less whether anybody else respects what we are doing.

On the relationship between the United States and Canada after last night’s soccer game and today’s basketball game:

Well, I’m sure the Brits, having two of their former colonies playing against each other, were hoping the roof would fall in and we’d all lose.

On knowing your team only becomes a huge story if you lose being a sign of respect to the level of dominance the women’s team has achieved:

We played a game for the ages against China, in terms of how well we played and executed, and somebody left a USA Today international lying around, and I picked it up to read about the Olympics, and there wasn’t one line or one sentence written about that game the next day. Not one. But, the top 10 preseason college football poll was in there, so that was really good, because I’m a college football fan. That goes back to what I said earlier. I think we have the mindset that we really don’t care. We’re way past that. There are no feminists on my team. We’re not running around burning our bras trying to make people believe in our team. I would burn mine, because it doesn’t fit like it used to. We just play basketball. And whether anybody cares or writes anything about it, there’s nothing we can do about it. We’re not in the PR business. We’re in the basketball business. That’s what we do. And, we’re pretty damn good at it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
And more from the NY Times story on today's game and Geno. So we go from the Bronx Tale to Moses in the basket floating down the river. Only in America? How 'bout only from Geno.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/s...all-team-reaches-olympic-semifinals.html?_r=1

This answer underscored the approach Auriemma has taken in these Olympics. Expectations? They come with the job coaching the women’s basketball powerhouse at Connecticut. They came with the national team position, too.

“That’s there,” Auriemma said, earlier in the tournament. “It’s like in the ‘Bronx Tale,’ when they’re in the bar with the bikers, and they lock all the doors, and now there’s no way out. When you coach the underdog, you always have the back door open. You can always say, ‘We didn’t have enough talent.’ Or ‘We didn’t have tradition.’

“Me? I don’t like being the underdog. I like coaching the best team with the best players, and then if we lose, it’s my fault. It’s like playing cards. I don’t want to win on the seventh hand because I get lucky. I want to have four aces right off the bat.”

“You don’t want to make it sappy and sentimental,” Auriemma said. “Like, an Italian kid who came to America, and my mother was making all my clothes, and eating sausage and peppers in school and not speaking English and all that. It’s not like she found me floating down the river; I’m Moses. But given all that, it’s pretty remarkable this could happen.

“Like they say, only in America.”

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We just play basketball. And whether anybody cares or writes anything about it, there’s nothing we can do about it. We’re not in the PR business. We’re in the basketball business. That’s what we do. And, we’re pretty damn good at it.
To quote icebear, Amen.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Another story from the Boston Globe's Jackie Macmullan with some good quotes for Dee on forcing shot-clock violations and playing defense on Team USA vs Team WNBA.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/...mmer-olympics-us-women-london-real-dream-team

"That's probably a better feeling than making a 3,'' said Taurasi. "When you can stop a team from getting a shot off, that's pretty good. It's not the hardest thing in the world to shoot the ball. Getting a quality shot, maybe, but we kept them from doing that, too.''

"Defense has got to be the focus,'' Taurasi shrugged. "It helps that we are so deep and no one plays a lot of minutes.
"I can tell you each of these guys is going to go back to the WNBA to score 20 [points] and get seven [rebounds] and seven [assists]. You think they're going to pick up full court?
"You're crazy. It's not going to happen.''

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno may be the best interview in London. He deserves much more press.

And he is probably the only coach here whose portrait in on a fan's T-shirt in the stands.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I enjoy reading the various stories to see how different writers string the same quotes together in different ways and to try to figure out why they chose some quotes and left others in the press kit. It's entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom