Possible portal targets | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Possible portal targets

Reaction Score
That message board had so many people talking crap about him and that he wasn’t good enough and shouldn’t start for them
"Drew Pyne’s career with the Fighting Irish is over. After spending three seasons with Notre Dame, he announced his intentions today to enter the transfer portal. He finally earned the starting job this season after Tyler Buchner’s season-ending injury. Now, it appears their breakup was caused by the program’s alleged interest in another QB.

Per Pete Sampson of The Athletic, the team reportedly told Pyne about their intentions to look around the portal themselves for a new quarterback. He mentions a chance Pyne competes for the job again in the spring. Considering all things, though, it seems he’s focused on finding snaps for next season elsewhere.

“Notre Dame informed Pyne the program planned to take a quarterback transfer this offseason,” said Sampson in a reply on Twitter to Dan Orlovsky. “(He) could compete for the job in spring ball.”

Pyne started 10 games for Notre Dame this season and led them to an 8-2 record. He completed 66.1% of his passes in those starts for 2,001 passing yards and 21 touchdowns. While many would take that production, it seems Pyne has taken the hint about the Irish’s intention this offseason.

Pyne has been stuck behind Ian Book, Jack Coan, and Buchner during his time in South Bend. That’s why you can’t really blame him when, after the success he found this season, he wants to move on now that the program appears prepared to do so as well."

(ND has Tyler Buchner and Steve Angeli on the roster. 4 star Kenny Minchey is in this class and 5 star C.J. Carr the next. Pyne is a great kid and played his heart out. He wants playing time, who can blame him? He will be a good addition for whomever gets him.)

Reaction Score
Supposedly ND was shocked when Pyne told them he’s entering the portal.

Reaction Score
I think the Ivy League is a great source of great grad transfers for us. Players can't play after they graduate even if they redshirt and the NCAA says they have an extra year of eligibility. There will be more Jake Guidones coming out of there every year.
The grad from Yale, center, forgot his name. Voted top center in Ivy and has NFL size for that position. Anyone have his name?

Reaction Score
The grad from Yale, center, forgot his name. Voted top center in Ivy and has NFL size for that position. Anyone have his name?
Nick Gargiolo - already has offers from Illinois, Missouri, OkState, Syracuse, Rutgers and BC
Wasn't he their starting left tackle? Or did he kick inside this season?

Reaction Score
Any potential UConn interest in this young man as far as anybody knows?
Screenshot_20221125-185928_Twitter.jpg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Going to BC would be a terrible decision. It’s Morehead’ snob to lose. That’s why Jurkovec is leaving.
Looks like Jurkovec is coming to Pitt to be with OC Frank Cignetti again (Phil's only good season at BC). Slovis is xferring out. Slovis has a great arm, but lousy decision making.

Reaction Score
UConn has to compete here. who Knows what kid wants. Maybe he missed home? I go after as many guys as I can.

This. If he just wants a place he knows he can play and a staff he trusts, and be near home, this makes too much sense. I don’t care what it does for PR or our relationship with New Canaan High School — a QB of his skill will make us substantially better, and his mobility fits the type of offense we’d like to play.

Reaction Score
This. If he just wants a place he knows he can play and a staff he trusts, and be near home, this makes too much sense. I don’t care what it does for PR or our relationship with New Canaan High School — a QB of his skill will make us substantially better, and his mobility fits the type of offense we’d like to play.
Is he mobile? I honestly didn't see him enough to know. I did see him throw enough to think he'd be the best we had passing since maybe Endres.

Reaction Score
Trend of portal players removing profile picture on Twitter. Time to investigate our roster.
Especially when two of them now have a Mora follow + some others on staff

Reaction Score
How so? I mean a freshman throwing for 330 yards against a ranked opponent? I think the Bambino’s curse moved from Fenway to Boston College.
His PFF grade was 54.5 (below Zion Turner) and you don't commit to him as a starter at this point, especially when the head coach is struggling. The portal has changed everything about QB recruiting. Teams have the ability to dramatically upgrade the position with highly ranked QB transfers from top teams. If a QB doesn't produce at a high level, the team is going to bring in competition.

Reaction Score
I could see him landing at BC also. His dad is from MA, he has family in MA. Jurkovec leaving BC.( Is there a reason?) Was there writing on the wall?
Played for a Catholic school (ND), family went to Catholic schools BC / Holy Cross. Stays close to home.
His dad is who UConn needs to land...LOL. With his sports marketing / money resume.
Just because his dad is from MA doesn’t mean anything, he’s a New Canaan HS parent first, and his son went to New Canaan schools all his life. His dad was born in Mass but spent his formative years at Choate in Wallingford, then went to Brown University where he captained the football team. His dad also has ties to the NFL and it would not surprise me if he already knows Jim Mora, and he definitely knows Marinelli. Also Drew Pyne’s Uncle and grandfather both played in the NFL. I would be mildly surprised if Pyne announces he is transferring to a school not named UConn.

Reaction Score
Pyne would be the type of high profile recruit that completely alters the trajectory of the football program, we would suddenly have a shot at WR transfers/recruits who wouldn't otherwise consider UCONN.

He would probably be the highest profile recruit in the history of the program, he was that good at ND.

He was not “that good” at ND. I would still love to land him and he is an upgrade. Check out ND forums, they are not sad to see him go and that is an understatement. His nerd number stats are terrible too. I think he graded out as the 90th beat QB last year with PFF.

Reaction Score
His PFF grade was 54.5 (below Zion Turner) and you don't commit to him as a starter at this point, especially when the head coach is struggling. The portal has changed everything about QB recruiting. Teams have the ability to dramatically upgrade the position with highly ranked QB transfers from top teams. If a QB doesn't produce at a high level, the team is going to bring in competition.
His PFF grade and the grades of many freshmen FBS QB’s this year should be below that of Zion Turner when you consider that Turner received scores of offers ( I think around 8 or 9) from many P5 teams. Though it doesn’t mean Morehead isn’t better than Turner right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom