Possible Grad Transfers Next Year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Possible Grad Transfers Next Year?

Reaction Score
My

My mistake I was thinking indeed of Lili Thompson who played pretty well and the game was at UCONN.

But yes on the Baylor side in Chloe Jackson. She has done a great job at transitioning from SG to PG. She is in the top 7 in the nation with assist per game and is a crucial mid range shooter for Baylor. She was a very lucky get.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But yes on the Baylor side in Chloe Jackson. She has done a great job at transitioning from SG to PG. She is in the top 7 in the nation with assist per game and is a crucial mid range shooter for Baylor. She was a very lucky get.
I think I yelled at @Charliebball for calling Baylor's acquisition of Chloe Jackson luck. Now I have to yell at you too? It wasn't luck it was the product of Kim and the staff recognizing an opportunity and making it happen. No reason UCONN can't do the same, that is really my point.

Reaction Score
I think I yelled at @Charliebball for calling Baylor's acquisition of Chloe Jackson luck. Now I have to yell at you too? It wasn't luck it was the product of Kim and the staff recognizing an opportunity and making it happen. No reason UCONN can't do the same, that is really my point.

it was luck in that they needed an experienced point guard and it just so happened that a really good experienced point guard was looking to graduate transfer at that exact time........................that doesn't mean that Baylor's staff didn't do a good job at signing her...................UConn should only be so lucky to get a grad transfer of equal talent

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Not really. We kind of have already started the conversation with an assumption. The conversation started by identifying top 100ish players for whom next season would be their 5th year of college. The assumption being that those players have completed their degree, therefore eligible to transfer and be immediately eligible to play at a new school.
That list of players would include:
SG: Hannah Friend 6’1” Sacramento State
SG: Aliyah Jeune 6’1” Morehead State
PG: Ali Patberg 5’10” Indiana
SF: Kia Gillespie 6’1” MD Florida State
SG: Haley Gorecki 6’1” Duke
SG: Kitija Laska 6’1” South Florida
P: Beatrice Mompremier 6’4” Baylor, Miami.
P: Erin DeGrate 6’4” Louisville, Texas Tech.
PG: Taja Cole 5’7” Louisville, UGA
F: Jordan Hosey 6’2” Texas
F: Victoria Gaines 6’1” Michigan State
F: Ayana Mitchell 6’2” LSU
G: Laura Cornelius Miami

To your point this is only a partial list because many more players will complete their degrees in 3 years and be in the same situation stated above: "eligible to transfer and immediately eligible to play". That list of players will not be fully available until summer. Any recruiting visits prior to receiving a diploma requires the permission and coordination with the school from which the player is departing.

To @rip7774 point above we need to have a separate conversation about JUCO players. If we use top 100ish players coming out of HS there are two such players in the JUCO ranks.
F: 6’4” Natasha Mack Huston
F: 6’4” Eterniti Willock Kansas State.
There has been much debate on the BY regarding Geno aversion to JUCO players and specific to these players as in- "could they help UCONN"? My Basketball answer to that question is yes. IMO either player would give UCONN an upgrade at F position over Batouly (may not be returning) or Kyla. The Non-basketball answer would have to factor in things like team fit and Geno tolerance for pain: Willock was dismissed from Kansas state after being arrested for under age drinking and Mack had her motor questioned when she was being recruited coming out of HS. Mack recently published her final 7? and UCONN was not on the list-no surprise there. I believe 2 AAC schools were on Mack's list including the latest member of the AAC Wichita State. If Mack has professional aspirations UCONN would propel her much further than Wichita State or anyone else on her current list. Mack will also likely end up be the National JUCO player of the year.

If Ali Patberg is eligible to be a grad transfer, then so is her fellow "incoming to IU" transfer, Brenna Wise, the 6'0" wing, who originally played two years at Pitt before coming to Bloomington. Probably not what the Huskies need given that she plays where Megan Walker does, but she's done a solid job at IU. Apparently gets along very well with Patberg.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Ali Patberg is eligible to be a grad transfer, then so is her fellow "incoming to IU" transfer, Brenna Wise, the 6'0" wing, who originally played two years at Pitt before coming to Bloomington. Probably not what the Huskies need given that she plays where Megan Walker does, but she's done a solid job at IU. Apparently gets along very well with Patberg.
Great call. Wise was at exactly #100 in ESPN 2015 rankings.

Reaction Score

What I mean by Lucky is that you could get one and then not turn out to be the best fit. In Baylor's situation she would have been our starting SG, but with the dismissal of Morris she had to learn a new position that being PG. She has been vocal about how she was a SG and how hard it was at first when she started learning it. We got lucky that she got it down so quick and easily. Also, she wouldn't be where she is in this position without Mulkey's coaching.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What I mean by Lucky is that you could get one and then not turn out to be the best fit. In Baylor's situation she would have been our starting SG, but with the dismissal of Morris she had to learn a new position that being PG. She has been vocal about how she was a SG and how hard it was at first when she started learning it. We got lucky that she got it down so quick and easily. Also, she wouldn't be where she is in this position without Mulkey's coaching.
As you might be able to tell I don't much believe in luck. I believe Chloe Jackson seized an opportunity. Let's not forget that Baylor had a highly recruited PG in its 2018 recruiting class.

Reaction Score
As you might be able to tell I don't much believe in luck. I believe Chloe Jackson seized an opportunity. Let's not forget that Baylor had a highly recruited PG in its 2018 recruiting class.

well whether it's opportunity, hard work or good luck or a combination of all three I'll be thrilled if UConn can find a player or players that will contribute anywhere near to the same level as Chloe Jackson...........

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Considering most players go to school year round and start classes the summer before their freshman year, my guess is a lot of juniors will be eligible grad transfers at the end of the summer, especially if they're motivated to finish up and transfer. There have been many success stories with grad transfers, so I'd bet the trend continues. Makes sense for players who want to play for title contenders and also for players buried on the bench who want to play. I'm sure many players see the openings at UCONN next year and Geno should have a great shot to land a good player or two.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That list of players would include:
SG: Hannah Friend 6’1” Sacramento State
SG: Aliyah Jeune 6’1” Morehead State
PG: Ali Patberg 5’10” Indiana
SF: Kia Gillespie 6’1” MD Florida State
SG: Haley Gorecki 6’1” Duke
SG: Kitija Laska 6’1” South Florida
P: Beatrice Mompremier 6’4” Baylor, Miami.
P: Erin DeGrate 6’4” Louisville, Texas Tech.
PG: Taja Cole 5’7” Louisville, UGA
F: Jordan Hosey 6’2” Texas
F: Victoria Gaines 6’1” Michigan State
F: Ayana Mitchell 6’2” LSU
G: Laura Cornelius Miami

Borislava Hristova from Washington St. is a redshirt Jr. this year, I think you could definitely throw her on this list. Just passed 1500 career points and is on track to become her school's all time leading scorer.

Reaction Score
Borislava Hristova from Washington St. is a redshirt Jr. this year, I think you could definitely throw her on this list. Just passed 1500 career points and is on track to become her school's all time leading scorer.

with all that success over time why would she want to transfer? Next year is not going to be vintage UConn where a trip to the semi-finals is guaranteed..............

Reaction Score
Back to Ayanna Clark, her 2016 ESPN eval:"Physical low-post presence with nimble footwork delivers in the block; power block prospect with deceptive agility pounds the glass, yields a defensive presence in the key." At 6'3", she certainly seems to be exactly what we need. As for the baggage, let's recall that Caron Butler came to UConn with a ton of it. I hope Geno is giving Ayanna a serious look!

Reaction Score
Back to Ayanna Clark, her 2016 ESPN eval:"Physical low-post presence with nimble footwork delivers in the block; power block prospect with deceptive agility pounds the glass, yields a defensive presence in the key." At 6'3", she certainly seems to be exactly what we need. As for the baggage, let's recall that Caron Butler came to UConn with a ton of it. I hope Geno is giving Ayanna a serious look!

just as importantly does Ayanna have any interest in transferring to UConn?............;)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
with all that success over time why would she want to transfer? Next year is not going to be vintage UConn where a trip to the semi-finals is guaranteed....
It is not guaranteed at Washington St. either. She would most likely have a better chance to at least play in the NCAA's with UConn.

Reaction Score
It is not guaranteed at Washington St. either. She would most likely have a better chance to at least play in the NCAA's with UConn.

better chance to make NCAAs with UConn but far more playing time with her teammates where she is now..............zero guaranty she's doing anything more then playing minutes off the bench here

Reaction Score
Not sure I understand this discussion about "luck." When you evaluate grad transfers you have several years of performance, team interaction, and basketball and personal growth to base your decision. They are also typically physically stronger and have more basketball "smarts" and experience.

Reaction Score
Stephanie Watts and Destinee Walker are a pair of UNC guards that could be grad transfers heading into next season, Watts is shooting 37% from deep on the year, Uconn could use a shooter on the wing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
with all that success over time why would she want to transfer? Next year is not going to be vintage UConn where a trip to the semi-finals is guaranteed....

just as importantly does Ayanna have any interest in transferring to UConn?..;)

We have no idea if any of these players want to transfer. Most of them will likely not!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure I understand this discussion about "luck." When you evaluate grad transfers you have several years of performance, team interaction, and basketball and personal growth to base your decision. They are also typically physically stronger and have more basketball "smarts" and experience.
Most of the discussion is me being stubborn, but consistent with my life philosophy that luck is far different from working your butt off and taking advantage of an opportunity. I understand fully what @DallasBUFan is trying to say.

Reaction Score

luck in that a really good player, playing a position that you desperately need to fill just happens to be looking to transfer at the very same moment............what happens after that is where the recruiting skills come into play..............so UConn would be lucky if a powerful 6'3" forward who could score, pass, rebound and play good defense just happens to want to leave their present school for next season.............then if he wants her it's up to Geno to close the deal

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

I hope she stays and I'm not suggesting she's going to leave. As far as I know Coco was just compiling a list of 4th year juniors who potentially could be grad transfers for next year.

Reaction Score
I hope she stays and I'm not suggesting she's going to leave. As far as I know Coco was just compiling a list of 4th year juniors who potentially could be grad transfers for next year.

understood..............it's just that sometimes I get the sense that posters here believe these players would be crazy not to leave their schools for the great honor of playing one season for UConn................unless they are WNBA bound that may not be all that important to many.........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom