• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We had more TV $ plus the NCAA credits from the Big East which we only shared with Cinci and USF I think. The new TV Deal sucked.

Don't make me relive that.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Say what you want, the FOX coverage of the Big East has been 1st rate. Not the low production associated with ESPN+ showings.

Despite our sport differences you've always been an honest man. I appreciate that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Don't make me relive that.
I confess the article reminded me just how convoluted it all was at the time. Some teams leaving now, some later, some joining now, some later. But there was some reason for optimism at the time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure I confess the article reminded me just how convoluted it all was at the time. Some teams leaving now, some later, some joining now, some later. But there was some reason for optimism at the time.
Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

Was there though?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
FS1 quality is better, but exposure is still much higher on ESPN.
This is essentially the question. I think as diehards we prefer the quality experience FS1 provides, but casual fans and bar/restaurants default to whatever is on ESPN.

Reaction Score
Plus we were on ESPN. We all laughed at NBE being on new startup FS1 for minimal dollars. 10 years later it’s better than ESPN
Fox Sports didn't pay minimal dollars for the 10 year deal they have thru 25. In fact, most would have argued they overpaid, as they had very little content as a new network. Big question will be now that they have more programming, 10 years of ratings and B12 bball (which they didn't have back then), what they will reup for.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah but I think the worry was a percentage of our games ending up on ESPN + which has much lower exposure
I think all the womens' games (or nearly all) were going to ESPN+, with no option for UConn to sell its own linear TV package. I think that was the last straw.

Reaction Score
Let's take Yormark at his word and accept the fact that the Big 12 is going to expand. What are its potential options? Oft-mentioned are the Four-Corner schools -- Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah. No doubt he's been talking to them and that he's visited their campuses. It's not clear that any of them would jump to the Big 12, but considering the current situation in the PAC, and matters of geography, one or more might. Given the choice between any one of them (three are AAU) and UConn, which would the Big 12 favor? Also mentioned are some schools in the ACC, those which might not garner an invitation to one of the P2 conferences. Even if such schools were unavailable until 2036, how likely is it that the Big 12 would choose UConn over, say, NC State, Va Tech, or even Louisville? And what about other choices, like Memphis or SMU or Tulane (AAU), all of which lie within the Big 12's admittedly broad footprint? What are the chances that the Big 12 would want UConn more than any of those?

Without going into specifics, many of the comments on the Bone Yard have been pretty dismissive of the Big 12 and its member institutions.

My question, therefore, is this: if any combination of those other schools is extended an invitation to the Big 12 to the exclusion of UConn, may we expect that UConn fans will be delighted that they were passed over for membership in a wealthier, all-sports, power conference? Or will there be recriminations, loud wailing, the rending of cloth, and claims about sour grapes?

We may not have to wait very long to find out.

Reaction Score
Given the choice between any one of them (three are AAU) and UConn, which would the Big 12 favor? how likely is it that the Big 12 would choose UConn over, say, NC State, Va Tech, or even Louisville?
0% chance big12 takes us over any PAC or ACC teams. that's why we need to hope for an invite and accept it before the PAC and ACC crumble. once they do our invitation gets lost in the mail.

eventually the P5 will become the P3. with a 20+ team BIG, SEC, and BIG12. the latter will be comprised of the pac and acc schools that dont get invited to the former. we need to be in the BIG12 before the consolidation happens or we'll be stuck in the BE forever more.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
And Pasqualoni was great, right?
I don't think anyone was more opposed to the Pasqualoni hire than I was. Whipple would have ended up as the same story with different typeface.

Reaction Score
I can't disagree with much of what you said, other than the fact that both Hurley and Mora will soon be making a lot more. And it doesn't have to come from the state.

Basketball donations will be soaring, and football donations are probably a small fraction of what they can be.

Plus Hurley (and Andrea) are supposedly Northeast people

Job security and loyalty still matters to some people. Just ask Jim Calhoun
Those who've never had real money think it's the only thing that motivates people, but your points about Jim Calhoun are very important. He was paid well but not the highest, but he also had pride in what he did and where he did it. Does a few more million really mean much when you have 10 or 20 already?

DH doesn't put on airs and he certainly has a great deal of pride in where he is and what he's done. For those not paying attention, his love for his job and where he is was there for all to see and hear when he was practically in tears and shouted, "We got ours" after the NC game. He was referring to the fact there were four NC's when he and the players got here, but now they have theirs.

People say everything is for sale and everyone has a price, but DH doesn't sound like he'll pull a Cooley anytime soon.

Reaction Score
Not going to waste time on trolling - you won't tell blah blah blah. If you had the receipts you'd show them. Willis Tower Watson - there's my financial acumen.
Not trolling - all my points are my true beliefs (look at my post history and you'll see no trolling). Not sure what your real beliefs are but I do know I can sleep well every night with regards to my financial acumen thank you.

Reaction Score
FS1 quality is better, but exposure is still much higher on ESPN.
That's the problem, FS1 is way better than ESPN but I'm not even sure most people even know they get the channel.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone was more opposed to the Pasqualoni hire than I was. Whipple would have ended up as the same story with different typeface.
I don't think so. It took real effort to not make a bowl game P's first year. Unfortunately he and his henchman were up to the task.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm just trying to think that through. The notion that student athletes represent "extra seats" in classes seems to contradict the notion that student athletes are taking the place of non-athletes and therefore costing the school lost tuition.

My concern here is how does the school calculate the "tuition cost" of student athletes on full scholarship?
The real cost there is simply the expenditure per student (overall budget / students), which is much higher than tuition but lower than out of state tuition at some places, higher at others. Depending.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The TV $ was still more than in the Big East. But the combined package was a lot more. Also had exit fees.
Normalize it by removing football revenue and then compare the two.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom