Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
IMG_2647.jpeg

Did anyone find this quote relevant about Hurley and the big 12?

Reaction Score
I do not care about a single team in the big12. Don't know how anyone on this board can make the argument strictly as a fan. It all comes down to some bs misguided notion that we need to jump to "stay competitive." Apparently it bears repeating: we're currently in the best basketball conference in the country, have one of the best coaches in the country and will not have trouble attracting top recruits
We are ever advancing toward the day when the costs to maintain our AD are too much to subsidize. Our basketball coach will be making a couple million dollars more per year than the Big East pays us when he gets a raise in the next few months. Think about that. It makes this so easy to understand. We don’t even need to talk about any other sports, expenses or coaching salaries, Our basketball coach gets the whole payout and then we’ll need to dig up a couple million more on top of it to pay him.

Anyone clinging to the Big East is asking for trouble. I love the Big East and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed being back in the conference, but we’ve got to play the long game financially if given the chance. Even if the B12 passes on us, we will still be looking for another home, it’s a necessity. The Big East is a temporary home. If we are in it long term, we are going to pay the price.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I do not care about a single team in the big12. Don't know how anyone on this board can make the argument strictly as a fan. It all comes down to some bs misguided notion that we need to jump to "stay competitive." Apparently it bears repeating: we're currently in the best basketball conference in the country, have one of the best coaches in the country and will not have trouble attracting top recruits
Take the nine other members of the Big East and the twelve schools that will be in the B-12 after Texas and Oklahoma leave, use any time frame you believe is most appropriate for the sample length and go into whatever depths you prefer to measure overall quality. There is no way you can maintain any intellectual honesty and say that the Big East is the better conference.

If your stance is that you prefer playing dregs who hope to improve like Georgetown and Depaul, a one time flash in the pan that has yet to find an adequate replacement for a once in a lifetime coach (Butler), a program that never was what it tried to claim it was but is trying to get better by hiring a septuagenarian with a quality history but also of character where in the not too distant past was exiled to coach in Greece, a pair of local, run of the mill programs who, one this past year and the other one year prior lost their coaches who had taken them to their best performances in decades and a few good programs who are as geographically removed as as B-12 programs that are allegedly too far from us to be in the same conference, well, you have that right. Just call it what it is.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Mack Rhoades (Baylor AD) said Tramel was given questionable intel for the article.

Like every good negotiation putting out some false information to a select group and seeing who repeats it is a nice way of finding rats in your organization.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Again, no one is arguing that we should make this move for men’s basketball based on the current environment. The reasons for the move would be for sports other than men’s basketball, and because there is rational concern that big time football will walk away from the current basketball arrangements at some point.

I still don’t think a Big XII invite is coming, but if it does I would take it because I think we have to in order to protect our athletic programs for the long term. Not because I look forward to playing a Big XII basketball schedule as opposed to a Big East one for the next few years.

That first paragraph is so hard for some to understand and accept.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That first paragraph is so hard for some to understand and accept.
I think it’s completely accurate. But the other key detail is that comparisons to the AAC are misplaced. Basketball won’t be harmed by the move. UConn fans might like the slate of teams less, but they won’t be worse. We aren’t going to see our Net rating struggle because our SoS stinks.

Reaction Score
It’s surely a risk, I think I personally value a somewhat regional conference….if duke stayed with the cast of what’s left of the acc and we joined that league I would be happy…I feel like they along with us would help the conference be extremely relevant in hoops and they all play football at a level that is realistic for us.
Politically, would the power brokers in North Carolina allow UNC and Duke to be in different leagues.

Reaction Score
I would be happy to join the B12 just so we can close this GD thread.
I don't know why the realignment threads were permitted on the basketball and football boards. They should have been confined to the realignment board.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Politically, would the power brokers in North Carolina allow UNC and Duke to be in different leagues.
Since Duke is a Private school, they have no say. Now NC State is a question but UCLA abandoned Cal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

better be a big collection plate at church this weekend. don't want this poverty program in our league, imo.

Is it troubling to you that the four American refugees were viewed as so lackluster that the big 12 went right out and started looking for schools with more star power?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Tramel’s only connection is at OU. OU isn’t making the call on this, they are gone.

August is right they’d want the corner schools. I’ve said it from the start. They always wanted the AZ schools, for decades. But if Utah stays, which almost certainly reunites them with Utah State, then we have hope our ticket will be punched. And with UConn, Arizona and KU it would clearly be the best hoops league in the country.
Had a weird thought that Gonzaga and Nova would be added as bb only as well.

Reaction Score
Yeah, some idiot who most likely couldn't pick Hurley out in a lineup makes an off the cuff comment and we need to quake in our boots?
I simply asked a question…..you seem to be going so far in the direction of disparaging anyone who dares to ask a question about the move that you seem to have lost a bit of objectivity…..how many times do you have to knock the big east in this thread?

Reaction Score
View attachment 88769
Did anyone find this quote relevant about Hurley and the big 12?
Sounds like cope to me. Beginning to feel like CU, AZ and UConn are in. And one of SDSU, Utah or AZ St. if the Big 12 feels forced in some way. They don't really need 2 teams in a market with the exception being huge markets like Texas, FL, CA that can still generate added value.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
A very good player just decommitted from a Big 10 school because he wanted a better NIL package and we landed him. This is why I think the concerns about us not being able to compete long-term if we don't join a P5 conference are a bit blown out of proportion.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I simply asked a question…..you seem to be going so far in the direction of disparaging anyone who dares to ask a question about the move that you seem to have lost a bit of objectivity…..how many times do you have to knock the big east in this thread?
I haven't lost any objectivity, just look through all of my posts on this subject.

My comment was due to the fact that in this day and age, anyone can get on social media and make a ridiculous comment (such as the one I disparaged) and then someone runs with it as if it was a well sourced fact. Hurley signed on when geographically our conference was very similar to what the B-12 will be and the level of competition was three or four levels below.

In all candor we'll lose Hurley due to the financial restraints we'll face if we remain in the BE before we lose him due to the geography of the B-12.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
A very good player just decommitted from a Big 10 school because he wanted a better NIL package and we landed him. This is why I think the concerns about us not being able to compete long-term if we don't join a P5 conference are a bit blown out of proportion.
You’re comparing lowly Rutgers vs. reigning national champion UConn in 2023 and using it as anecdotal evidence that our ability to compete long term in blown out of proportion. This decision is not based on a recruiting battle in 2023, it’s a twenty plus year decision.

Reaction Score
I haven't lost any objectivity, just look through all of my posts on this subject.

My comment was due to the fact that in this day and age, anyone can get on social media and make a ridiculous comment (such as the one I disparaged) and then someone runs with it as if it was a well sourced fact. Hurley signed on when geographically our conference was very similar to what the B-12 will be and the level of competition was three or four levels below.

In all candor we'll lose Hurley due to the financial restraints we'll face if we remain in the BE before we lose him due to the geography of the B-12.
You’re talking as if you’re speaking facts which you simply are not. You don’t know hurleys mindset….none of us do, but that wasnt the writer making up a point he got the statement from a source he didn’t pull it out of thin air. I found it interesting and thought it was overlooked in the article by most
As for your objectivity you are talking down about the big east conference in almost every post. Your passion to leave has driven your objectivity out the window as each post you write you hammer the conference more and more, maybe you should look through all ur posts on the subject

Reaction Score
Sounds like cope to me. Beginning to feel like CU, AZ and UConn are in. And one of SDSU, Utah or AZ St. if the Big 12 feels forced in some way. They don't really need 2 teams in a market with the exception being huge markets like Texas, FL, CA that can still generate added value.
I don’t think we are clearly in at this point, as I think this is still a bit of propaganda to ensure all four of the four corner schools commit.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
You’re talking as if you’re speaking facts which you simply are not. You don’t know hurleys mindset….none of us do, but that wasnt the writer making up a point he got the statement from a source he didn’t pull it out of thin air. I found it interesting and thought it was overlooked in the article by most
As for your objectivity you are talking down about the big east conference in almost every post. Your passion to leave has driven your objectivity out the window as each post you write you hammer the conference more and more, maybe you should look through all ur posts on the subject
In all candor I believe that I am one of very few posters who is being objective about the Big East.

If PC was that important of a rival we would have scheduled them at some point as a non-conference opponent during our time in the AAC. That applies to any of the eastern five remaining BE opponents yet Villanova was the only school we played in non-conference games.

Three of the other five we never conference opponents before we returned and the other two, besides being geographically distant, don't have the history with us that an equal number of potential B-12 opponents have (who also are geographically closer) yet are fans allegedly care enough about those schools that our attendance will suffer if we replace conference games against Creighton, Xavier, Butler, DePaul and Marquette with conference games against Cincinnati. WVU, Baylor, Kansas State and Oklahoma St.

People are fabricating rivalries just because they want to make believe the current BE is the BE of history and they don't want to face the reality that our athletic department's financial situation is not sustainable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom