• Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It's like Hartford Whalers coming back......
“I know she made out with like 3 guys at the party and went home with one, but she told me she wasn’t drinking and would never cheat on me. Also the guy was nice enough to do her laundry the next morning, sounds more like a friend. I love my girlfriend she would never use me.”

- 75% of the big 12 boneyard.

Reaction Score
Because they had no P5 options at the time and they were negotiating a TV deal. Now they have an entire Pac 12 to choose from. And in 2036 they’ll have half the ACC to pick from. We’re getting locked out
The Big East is half the fanbase's "forever home" so at least half of them get moist in the shorts reading that.

Reaction Score
View attachment 88743

You could spin those same facts an alternative way. The state should commitment to football by building a 40,000 seat stadium. Despite not being a part of the P5 UConn has shown its commitment to athletics by maintaining a P5 level office spending and it's athletic department.

In any event anyone who thinks having a stadium 25 minutes off-campus doesn't hurt us should rethink that opinion.
Said another way Storrs CT is 25 mile from the rest of CT. Its not just the students that fill up the rent. Getting to Storrs on game day will be a nightmare. The rent is centrally located for CT and the anortheast. Bring the teams and they will come.

Reaction Score
Very happy we are avoiding the Big12. It was not a good fit for us at all. Let's see what happens with the ACC/Big10.

Reaction Score
He quotes one AD. One. You guys know school presidents decide these things right? They have the ability to look at academics, markets and all the other factors. AD's look at football records.

The rest of it is the writer interjecting his thoughts by making it seem they are the Big 12's off of the one AD.

Also, the back and forth here has always been IF the offer comes whether to accept it. I don't think anyone got suckered

Reaction Score
75% of this board signs up to be played by the same girl over and over again. When are you all going to learn or are you going to keep hurting yourself?
We're fans. What we do doesn't matter.

We're talking about the public nature of the leaks from the B12.

No one cares that "my feelings" are hurt. That's as it should be.

Reaction Score
Said another way Storrs CT is 25 mile from the rest of CT. Its not just the students that fill up the rent. Getting to Storrs on game day will be a nightmare. The rent is centrally located for CT and the anortheast. Bring the teams and they will come.
Other schools have the advantage of having 15k students show up for every on campus football game. This is the main point people are missing with an on campus stadium.

And besides, football culture is about spending the entire Saturday on campus. Tailgating, football game, restaurants, bars.

Think about places that get 110k fans into a stadium when they have a 20 mile one lane road coming off the highway (shorter than the Tolland exit which is 8 miles away). How do they do it?

Reaction Score
There is a negative stigma associated with UConn Football. Kansas and Duke have this a little too regardless of occasional success.
And UConn football earned that negative stigma with a decade of futility and unwatchable football under Diaco's last year and Edsall 2.0.

If UConn doesn't get the B12 invite, then the plan remains the same which is to build UConn as a novelty independent program in the same way as Notre Dame and BYU until a P5 invite comes if it ever does.

Will UConn become Notre Dame in terms of their following? No, but get as close to that as possible. If UConn is 1,000 miles away from Notre Dame in terms of that, get it to the point where they are 700 miles away-in other words do your best to become Notre Dame even though it won't happen per se because Notre Dame has built their following for over a century going back to am radio. Shoot for the moon and get the stars.

Let me know Boneyard, do you agree or am I way off on this?

Reaction Score
They've made us look like total fools two times now. And once again we find ourselves on the outside looking in. Meanwhile UCF, who were in the damn MAC like 15 years ago, have a P5 lifeline and we still don't. It's unbelievable.
Yeah, and we used to always talk about the "directional" schools.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We're fans. What we do doesn't matter.

We're talking about the public nature of the leaks from the B12.

No one cares that "my feelings" are hurt. That's as it should be.
There's no leaks. There's just certain people trying to influence things by talking to the press. Tramel is an OU guy. We know how OU and UT feel, but who cares? They will be in the SEC.

Reaction Score
And UConn football earned that negative stigma with a decade of futility and unwatchable football under Diaco's last year and Edsall 2.0.

If UConn doesn't get the B12 invite, then the plan remains the same which is to build UConn as a novelty independent program in the same way as Notre Dame and BYU until a P5 invite comes if it ever does.

Will UConn become Notre Dame in terms of their following? No, but get as close to that as possible. If UConn is 1,000 miles away from Notre Dame in terms of that, get it to the point where they are 700 miles away-in other words do your best to become Notre Dame even though it won't happen per se because Notre Dame has built their following for over a century going back to am radio. Shoot for the moon and get the stars.

Let me know Boneyard, do you agree or am I way off on this?
Support and funding for football will be decreased before this happens.

Reaction Score
I think it’s safe to say the Edsall 2.0 years didn’t help us. We were an embarrassment. The football minds in the larger conferences remember those years and cringe. Our basketball brands are established. Mora is probably the most important person in the athletic department at this point.
I think it’s safe to say the Edsall 2.0 years didn’t help us. We were an embarrassment. The football minds in the larger conferences remember those years and cringe.

Correct. Edsall 2.0 was a disaster. I remember after Diaco got fired I was thinking "wow our AD is serious about football success" and thought he ain't messing around. Initially I thought he was going keep Diaco and give the speech about believing in Diaco and that we should be patient. I was excited and waiting with anticipation of the next coach they hired. When I saw Edsall was announced later on weekday morning, I was like a balloon that got deflated-the hire was so underwhelming.

Our basketball brands are established. Mora is probably the most important person in the athletic department at this point.
As a good friend of mine from Texas who is a fan of Texas sports teams said about UConn in 2013 in the conference realignment news, "it's not UConn basketball that needs to be sold, their basketball sells itself. It's their football that needs to be sold."

Reaction Score
If Jim Mora arrived 4 years ago, we’d likely have an invite in our hands. Houston, UCF, and Cincy all struck gold with their football programs peaking at the right time. If we had 4 seasons in a row of bowl appearances, does that change the narrative around UConn football not being competitive? Probably..

Reaction Score
If Jim Mora arrived 4 years ago, we’d likely have an invite in our hands. Houston, UCF, and Cincy all struck gold with their football programs peaking at the right time. If we had 4 seasons in a row of bowl appearances, does that change the narrative around UConn football not being competitive? Probably..
I think so, too. It's why Edsall 2.0 was such a disaster.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
75% of this board signs up to be played by the same girl over and over again. When are you all going to learn or are you going to keep hurting yourself?
If there's a brass ring you go for the brass ring.

Your comment would be like if after getting knocked off by Florida, UCLA and Mississippi St in consecutive years saying "Why try to reach a final four? You know you are going to keep getting hurt."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Said another way Storrs CT is 25 mile from the rest of CT.
Lol, what does that even mean?

What we're seeing in the Trammell article is that an off-campus stadium is considered a detriment to our conference realignment chances.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
When you feel like UConn is in a good spot (2011 post hoop title and BE football title or 2023 post title and bowl game appearance) it always seems to fall short. It's sometimes markets (SUNJ, MD) when they dwarf CT.. or it's football tradition not markets sometimes (Louisville).. or it's recent football success (UCF Houston) and not brand, etc.

Just feels as though the timing is never right for UConn in spite of what we bring.

Reaction Score
John have you shared this viola strategy with the staff. I bet they would love to know how easy it is.
that's how we did it in the Big East, not rocket science. Previous poster indicated there'll be nothing left in Texas due to UT being in SEC. That's flat out wrong.

Reaction Score
When you feel like UConn is in a good spot (2011 post hoop title and BE football title or 2023 post title and bowl game appearance) it always seems to fall short. It's sometimes markets (SUNJ, MD) when they dwarf CT.. or it's football tradition not markets sometimes (Louisville).. or it's recent football success (UCF Houston) and not brand, etc.

Just feels as though the timing is never right for UConn in spite of what we bring.
If the timing is never right it's not a timing issue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom