• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
You put a lot of thought into being wrong so I'll give you that. But for basketball specifically, Texas and Oklahoma out and Houston/Cincinnati/BYU/UCF in is a net positive

Please elaborate.

Reaction Score
We don't know anything close to it not working. The Old Big East came apart because ESPN wanted it to come apart. It was a stupid, short-sighted strategy to try to pressure the Big East to take less money on a single contract. It unleashed forces that now have ESPN on the verge of getting cut out of college athletics broadcasting entirely. I am certain that if ESPN could turn back the clock, they would have handled the Big East situation very differently.
Member schools need to have a shared vision for there to be long-term success. As I’ve said many times before, the Ivy League is the only league who does it right. They have an academics-first mentality. Sure, they are sometimes subject to temptation like the rest of us, but the long-term vision is shared. The Old Big East was doomed when the decision was made to pursue big-time football. The revenue gap was too large for the league to be sustainable. We’re seeing the same thing with the ACC today.

Reaction Score
Member schools need to have a shared vision for there to be long-term success. As I’ve said many times before, the Ivy League is the only league who does it right. They have an academics-first mentality. Sure, they are sometimes subject to temptation like the rest of us, but the long-term vision is shared. The Old Big East was doomed when the decision was made to pursue big-time football. The revenue gap was too large for the league to be sustainable. We’re seeing the same thing with the ACC today.

The ivies have endowments that dwarf most p5 schools, research funding out the wazoo, and are elite academically. It's not really relevant for normal R1 state schools.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The ACC is no longer a first-choice option. They are screwed with their contract and GOR which sounds like it's going to break. Why would we jump from an abandoned island onto a sinking ship? With the timing and contracts of the ACC vs. Big 12 its much more likely the Big 12 poaches ACC teams when/if Notre Dame dip and SEC pickings take off the rest of the rats scurry. That means the Big 12 is much more likely to get Pitt, Cuse and a few others that would suddenly, along with WVU align regionally with UConn. Why would we want to pounce into an unstable ACC only to watch the reasons we jumped over to take off for greener pastures?

Also, as much as we all love the Big East it needs to be keep in mind Big 12 is exploring taking Nova, Georgetown, St John as well as (non BEAST Gonzaga) for Bball only. Just rumor at this point but it is whispered that along with trying aquire BEAST teams are looking at MSG for a future conference tourney. The upside of the Big12 due to timing and contract puts it at a great advantage.
Nonsense. The posturing is posturing. They want more money. Great. I don’t think the SEC wants FSU or Clemson. They have the flagship schools in those states. I think the B1G would probably like UNC and UVA, but not if they end up taking Washington and Oregon, which are available right now with no GOR. So are Stanford and Cal. They are not going to go to 24.

I think the ACC will come up with a revised revenue sharing deal, and probably keep everyone they have. The GOR is a strength right now, not a weakness. The Notre Dame deal with NBC is up in 2025. Add UConn and ND full, and ESPN would bump the pay. Not to B1G or SEC levels, but enough. It is the best possible outcome for UConn and for those ACC schools. When the B12 GOR is up, add WVU and Cinci and stop.

Reaction Score
The ivies have endowments that dwarf most p5 schools, research funding out the wazoo, and are elite academically. It's not really relevant for normal R1 state schools.
I totally agree with this. When I chose an academic path, I chose the Ivy League. That path didn’t quench my thirst for big-time athletics so I’ve always been a huge fan of UConn athletics. It would be great if UConn could pursue a pure academic path and not need the money to accomplish its athletic goals. However, this isn’t realistic. That’s why, even though I hate it, I support UConn’s most likely desirable path to take the money and join the Big 12 or another P5 conference.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

What is Vanderbilt's shared vision with Mississippi State? Vanderbilt is a premier academic institution in the same athletic conference with a school like MSU that is worse than most community colleges in the northeast.

The OBE was doomed when ESPN had a massive, public tantrum and tried to teach the conference a lesson for not accepting its first offer. The result was ESPN losing Rutgers to Fox/BTN, the Catholic Schools (and now UConn) to FS1, WVU (and now Cincinnati) partially to FOX, and having to pay Miami, VTech, BCU, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse and Notre Dame (basketball only) MUCH more than they would have been willing to settle for in the Big East. It also effectively upgraded a bunch of mid-majors like ECU, Tulsa, and Tulane to much bigger contracts than they had before. And by taking out the Big East, ESPN lost leverage with the other major conferences, which is part of why it finds itself in the situation it is in today. ESPN has probably spent over a billion dollars more in the last two decades than it would have if it had just paid the Big East a market rate.

ESPN's decision to destroy the Big East may have been the stupidest business decision in broadcast media history.

Reaction Score
What is Vanderbilt's shared vision with Mississippi State? Vanderbilt is a premier academic institution in the same athletic conference with a school like MSU that is worse than most community colleges in the northeast.

The OBE was doomed when ESPN had a massive, public tantrum and tried to teach the conference a lesson for not accepting its first offer. The result was ESPN losing Rutgers to Fox/BTN, the Catholic Schools (and now UConn) to FS1, WVU (and now Cincinnati) partially to FOX, and having to pay Miami, VTech, BCU, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse and Notre Dame (basketball only) MUCH more than they would have been willing to settle for in the Big East. It also effectively upgraded a bunch of mid-majors like ECU, Tulsa, and Tulane to much bigger contracts than they had before. And by taking out the Big East, ESPN lost leverage with the other major conferences, which is part of why it finds itself in the situation it is in today. ESPN has probably spent over a billion dollars more in the last two decades than it would have if it had just paid the Big East a market rate.

ESPN's decision to destroy the Big East may have been the stupidest business decision in broadcast media history.
Easy answer to your first question: they’ve decided to chase the money.

Reaction Score
The map says it all.

Geographic Proximity? Check
Similar educational institutions, and broad cultural sensibilities? Check
Great rivalries and history over the last 30 years? Check

Big 12 checks all the boxes. Let’s throw away what we have, and enter the nuclear arms race of college football. What could go wrong?

Reaction Score
Nonsense. The posturing is posturing. They want more money. Great. I don’t think the SEC wants FSU or Clemson. They have the flagship schools in those states. I think the B1G would probably like UNC and UVA, but not if they end up taking Washington and Oregon, which are available right now with no GOR. So are Stanford and Cal. They are not going to go to 24.

I think the ACC will come up with a revised revenue sharing deal, and probably keep everyone they have. The GOR is a strength right now, not a weakness. The Notre Dame deal with NBC is up in 2025. Add UConn and ND full, and ESPN would bump the pay. Not to B1G or SEC levels, but enough. It is the best possible outcome for UConn and for those ACC schools. When the B12 GOR is up, add WVU and Cinci and stop.
The SEC wouldn't want Clemson ...noted. Total bball board vibes here. Just curious, what leverage do you think the ACC has outside of the GOR that league members are actively trying to break that will drive their expansion?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The SEC wouldn't want Clemson ...noted. Total bball board vibes here. Just curious, what leverage do you think the ACC has outside of the GOR that league members are actively trying to break that will drive their expansion?
The SEC rejected both Clemson and FSU multiple times. No leverage needed. It’s a good conference. Well positioned demographically in the fastest growing parts of the country. A few schools just have envy because they see schools making more.

Reaction Score
Easy answer to your first question: they’ve decided to chase the money.

Not true. They’ve both been affiliated in the SEC for more than 90 years. Proximity and travel overrode all other considerations.

Reaction Score
Higher Ed is going through a major crisis, and we haven't reached the bottom yet. In 3 years, enrollments are projected to fall off a cliff. Your nuts if you don't think a state school like UConn won't take the money now and accept any P5 invite.

Reaction Score
We don't know anything close to it not working. The Old Big East came apart because ESPN wanted it to come apart. It was a stupid, short-sighted strategy to try to pressure the Big East to take less money on a single contract. It unleashed forces that now have ESPN on the verge of getting cut out of college athletics broadcasting entirely. I am certain that if ESPN could turn back the clock, they would have handled the Big East situation very differently.
ESPN is on the verge of getting cut out of college athletics??

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Didn't they also speak to Gonzaga ? It'll be a home run if they added Uconn , Gonzaga, St. John's , Villanova, Georgetown, Marquette, Xavier, Creighton. Don't think Uconn is a NY team, it's not. You fill up MSG a couple times a year , other than that Uconn gets no press coverage in NY at all.
I don't know about that. I've seen articles about UConn in both the Post and the New York Times. That said, New York is a pro sports town, everyone gets that, but about 1 million Connecticut residents are a part of the New York City DMA. And, yeah, we do fill up MSG, the premier sports venue in the country. Connecticut isn't a "New York team" it is a Connecticut team with considerable reach and beyond the borders of our state, including New York City.

Reaction Score
Does any conference require a min amount a member school must budget for athletics?
Look at the number of coaches and trainers on a power conference football directory. It's pretty insane. Other sports are large as well. There's such a difference in operational costs between a power conference and others.

Reaction Score
Does any conference require a min amount a member school must budget for athletics?
Not sure about mandates but with us already being middle of the Big12 pack from an AD spending standpoint I'm sure with much more revenue we'd be more than adequately positioned.

Reaction Score
Espn is in the verge of getting cut out of college athletics broadcasting entirely?
Wow I could have sworn they just landed a huge deal with the SEC that hasn’t even started yet….
You can’t even possibly believe all these takes you are making

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I don’t know that there is a “formal” requirement but as an example with Charlotte coming to the American they agreed to up their budget by something like 40% and committed to a ton of facilities upgrades including expanding their football stadium to 35k from 15k today as an example

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
If the ACC 7 split, pick up the remnants and add Temple.

4 hoops pods, play within pod twice and other pods once for a 18 game conference schedule.

• UConn, Providence, Boston College, Seton Hall, Temple
  • Villanova, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Syracuse, St. John's
  • DePaul, Marquette, Butler, Creighton, Xavier
  • Duke, Georgia Tech, Wake, Louisville, Pitt

Football:
  • Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, Wake, UConn, Villanova, Temple
Cherry picked for Nova. Trade Syracuse and St Johns for Temple and Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
I don't know about that. I've seen articles about UConn in both the Post and the New York Times. That said, New York is a pro sports town, everyone gets that, but about 1 million Connecticut residents are a part of the New York City DMA. And, yeah, we do fill up MSG, the premier sports venue in the country. Connecticut isn't a "New York team" it is a Connecticut team with considerable reach and beyond the borders of our state, including New York City.
MSG has a capacity. It was already full for BET when UConn rejoined.

Reaction Score
Yes, ESPN has financial problems.
Disney has financial problems, but ESPN is an ATM that dominates its space and is making smart decisions about increasing its digital properties in lieu of cord cutting. ESPN will be just fine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom