• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I don't think that's enough. Its why i believe its a battle royale for a 3rd league. I think the Big 12 with their GOR til 2031, and the fact they go back to market before the ACC have a distinct advantage over the PAC and ACC at the moment.

Doesn’t matter what any of us thinks. Their goal is to corner the college football market with 2 super conferences. That’s why the B1G has created a coast to conference, grabbing the NY (Rutgers) and LA markets. They can then run their own bowl(s) and declare the winner the national champion. At least that’s how they and their TV partners will market. The schools who are left out can and will do their own thing. Time will tell how it works itself out.

Reaction Score
Doesn’t matter what any of us thinks. Their goal is to corner the college football market with 2 super conferences. That’s why the B1G has created a coast to conference, grabbing the NY (Rutgers) and LA markets. They can then run their own bowl(s) and declare the winner the national champion. At least that’s how they and their TV partners will market. The schools who are left out can and will do their own thing. Time will tell how it works itself out.
That's what you believeand that is okay. Doesn’t make you right and me wrong.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

There are still too many brands on the outside of a P2 that are a) nationally relevant, b) would decrease the pro rata payout in the B1G or SEC.

The SEC and B1G will clearly call the shots and comprise the majority of the 12 team playoff but I don't see how breaking away is actually more beneficial to them.

Reaction Score
There are still too many brands on the outside of a P2 that are a) nationally relevant, b) would decrease the pro rata payout in the B1G or SEC.

The SEC and B1G will clearly call the shots and comprise the majority of the 12 team playoff but I don't see how breaking away is actually more beneficial to them.

I agree, at some point expansion becomes dilutive, and breaking away would be destructive. It's not happening.

I definitely could see the 5 power conferences becoming 4, but I think it stops there.

Reaction Score
I don't think that's enough. Its why i believe its a battle royale for a 3rd league. I think the Big 12 with their GOR til 2031, and the fact they go back to market before the ACC have a distinct advantage over the PAC and ACC at the moment.
The problem, though, is that the B12 is full of niche schools in populous states, or else solid schools in unpopulated states. Iowa State and Kansas will only get you so far. Cincy and Baylor will only get you so far. It's a massive problem for them.

I think it's probable that only 5 of the 7 ACC group will find landing spots in the B1G and SEC.

At the end of the day, you're still going to have NC State, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and Duke in very populous states. It's simply more impressive than the B12.

Reaction Score
The problem, though, is that the B12 is full of niche schools in populous states, or else solid schools in unpopulated states. Iowa State and Kansas will only get you so far. Cincy and Baylor will only get you so far. It's a massive problem for them.

I think it's probable that only 5 of the 7 ACC group will find landing spots in the B1G and SEC.

At the end of the day, you're still going to have NC State, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and Duke in very populous states. It's simply more impressive than the B12.

Except those 4 will head to the B12.

Reaction Score

You could be right, but the Big 12 maybe in better position to absorb those schools from simply being stable longer and having a commssioner with a long term plan. Its all speculation.

Reaction Score
Does this change people's minds at all?

They should do what I've been saying all along. Go pro, pay them market rate, let the teams rent the school's brand and logo for $1 a year.

Just cleave the whole thing into a pro league. Each team can determine what to pay the players. Nice and clean for everyone.

The only hitch to this is facilities. Who pays? And with what money?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Yeah, like Luke Fickell and his wife were Ohio people...until they became Wisconsin people. Rare is the coach who doesn't aspire to appear on a larger, more prestigious stage and to make more money. Rarer still is the coach who'd decline a move which fulfilled those aspirations. Many UConn posters dream of an invitation to the B1G. Why? Because it's a bigger stage and membership means more prestige and more money. Coaches feel the same way, though they may not express their desires until they have a firm offer in hand. Hurley and Mora would be out the door in a heartbeat if the right offer came along.

You mean there's a bigger stage than National Championships?

Reaction Score
I hope you guys who say no understand if the AAC media deal was In the $12- 15,000,000 annual range .Plus throw in Football playoffs share of another $2,000,000 , we would have never left that conference .
With the correct hire , we probably are already a top pick for the last Big 12 expansion .The main caveat is if the ACC or even the B1G allowed us to get away. I don’t think they want to see another conference in “their “ territory.,
The money we’re talking now is more than double what we would have stayed for
Estimates :?
Big 12 media deal is about $30,000,000 per team
Currently the power school football shares are worth close to an additional $10 million
I’ve seen estimates with additional playoff expansion that number could be as high as $25,00,000 annually per team .
With a better schedule and a competitive football team you’re looking a filling the Rent at higher prices , plus playing schools that travel well .,All increasing the athletic and state coffers .,.
I have a hard time visualizing the president trying to explain turning that down in favor of the huge hole the athletic budget is currently
Because basketball fans prefer the Big East
Basketball
The Big 12 is arguably the best BB conferences with multiple compelling games especially on the fast growing. Women’s game.
I totally understand the dilemma , we made our bones in basketball playing in a then regional now quasi regional conference
But reality is if you want to be a Big East school then forget football
If you have any ambition beyond being an excellent basketball school you have to bite the bullet.
There is a huge chasm between Villanova and UVA and UConn has been trying to straddle that gap It’s simply not doable in the long run.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
It’s not about next year. They have a long term plan and it’s not about autobids for the basketball tournament. It’s about football and football dollars.
Been in the works for decades, seems to me. Everybody wants that 1-2 FB BB punch. UConn's made the commitment to FB. Ya gotta be all in to succeed at anything.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No. That's just not right. We, with Cincy and USF, were looking to rebuild the football part of the conference while still playing the Catholic onlies. And the Catholic basketball onlies left.

Would we have left the Big EAst for a better spot? Yes. Like every member of every organization and every employee of every employer. What in the world is the point of saying someone would leave for a better offer. We stayed and rebuilt the best we could having had the Catholic schools walk out.
"Catholic Onlies"?

Reaction Score
Why would they?

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if they cobbled a $$ deal together that could lure WV and Cincy

What leverage would they have to cobble together a deal that would bring more than 50 million per year that the Big 12 brings?

I don't think you are following this closely

Reaction Score
Yeah, like Luke Fickell and his wife were Ohio people...until they became Wisconsin people. Rare is the coach who doesn't aspire to appear on a larger, more prestigious stage and to make more money. Rarer still is the coach who'd decline a move which fulfilled those aspirations. Many UConn posters dream of an invitation to the B1G. Why? Because it's a bigger stage and membership means more prestige and more money. Coaches feel the same way, though they may not express their desires until they have a firm offer in hand. Hurley and Mora would be out the door in a heartbeat if the right offer came along.
Fickell couldn’t win a title at cinncinatti, Hurley already won one at UConn….not a valid comparison

Reaction Score
Why would they?

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if they cobbled a $$ deal together that could lure WV and Cincy
Would any new conference be a "power conference"? They're designated as such and a reason Aresco wants to see the designation go away.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
The Big 12 is arguably the best BB conferences with multiple compelling games especially on the fast growing. Women’s game.
Women's sports loose money. A ton.

Reaction Score
I hope you guys who say no understand if the AAC media deal was In the $12- 15,000,000 annual range .Plus throw in Football playoffs share of another $2,000,000 , we would have never left that conference .
With the correct hire , we probably are already a top pick for the last Big 12 expansion .The main caveat is if the ACC or even the B1G allowed us to get away. I don’t think they want to see another conference in “their “ territory.,
The money we’re talking now is more than double what we would have stayed for
Estimates :?
Big 12 media deal is about $30,000,000 per team
Currently the power school football shares are worth close to an additional $10 million
I’ve seen estimates with additional playoff expansion that number could be as high as $25,00,000 annually per team .
With a better schedule and a competitive football team you’re looking a filling the Rent at higher prices , plus playing schools that travel well .,All increasing the athletic and state coffers .,.
I have a hard time visualizing the president trying to explain turning that down in favor of the huge hole the athletic budget is currently
Because basketball fans prefer the Big East
Basketball
I totally understand the dilemma , we made our bones in basketball playing in a then regional now quasi regional conference
But reality is if you want to be a Big East school then forget football
If you have any ambition beyond being an excellent basketball school you have to bite the bullet.
There is a huge chasm between Villanova and UVA and UConn has been trying to straddle that gap It’s simply not doable in the long run.

It would seem to me you are arguing to not make the same mistakes again, which is to say, STAY IN THE BIG EAST.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why would they?

They’d both jump at the chance. B12 would probably be glad to be rid of them (and UCF) and could pillage the PAC.

There is too little logic here. Too little rational thinking. There aren’t close to 7 ACC schools that may have appeal to the B1G or SEC and that their media partners would increase their deal for. There may be none. ACC should add UConn, UCF, Cinci and WVU, then B12 can add Arizona, ASU, Colorado, Utah, Cal and Stanford. B1G adds UW and Oregon. Its the only thing that makes sense. Big 12 rebrands as Big West or something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom