Portal Shopping List | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Portal Shopping List

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just a minute ...
As far as I can see neither Iriafen nor Beers have actually entered the portal. But if we are speculating about grabbing someone currently on another team, why stop with them ...
What about del Rosario off LSU or maybe Adhel Tac from SC? Which do we prefer?
:eek:
:confused:

Reaction Score
Let's get Janiah Barker if we can. It doesn't hurt having a 6"4 on the bench who can play the 4 or 5. We reeeaaalllyy don't need another guard. Ines was a pleasure to have, but I'm glad she decided to transfer elsewhere because it gives us another spot to fill. And again, I've repeated this plenty of times, we do not need anyone from the portal, but it would be nice having getting another transfer player who is willing to give up minutes, just to win a championship at Uconn.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Let's get Janiah Barker if we can. It doesn't hurt having a 6"4 on the bench who can play the 4 or 5. We reeeaaalllyy don't need another guard. Ines was a pleasure to have, but I'm glad she decided to transfer elsewhere because it gives us another spot to fill. And again, I've repeated this plenty of times, we do not need anyone from the portal, but it would be nice having getting another transfer player who is willing to give up minutes, just to win a championship at Uconn.

I believe Barker has said that she doesn't like UConn.

Reaction Score
Just a minute ...
As far as I can see neither Iriafen nor Beers have actually entered the portal. But if we are speculating about grabbing someone currently on another team, why stop with them ...
What about del Rosario off LSU or maybe Adhel Tac from SC? Which do we prefer?
:eek:
:confused:
Beers has reportedly headed to the portal, should be official tomorrow.

Iriafin is just speculation because she is on track to graduate this semester and the assumption travel to the ACC would be terrible. I’d be surprised if she was headed to the portal especially since Stanford supposedly secured Chen.

Reaction Score
Little outside the box, let's bring in Robbie Avilas. Just entered the portal from Indiana St. 6'10" with a vast array of post moves. I thik this addition would give us a chance to compete with South Carolina next year.

Reaction Score
This account broke the news of Lucy Olsen hitting the portal before it became official. Looks like Raegan Beers might be next. Be on the lookout.

Reaction Score
Lucy Olsen is tenacious and has 2 years of eligibility left. I think she’d be a good fit.

Reactions: JBK
Reaction Score
JB does not like UConn! She made that clear as a recruit.

Reaction Score

Iriafin is just speculation because she is on track to graduate this semester and the assumption travel to the ACC would be terrible. I’d be surprised if she was headed to the portal especially since Stanford supposedly secured Chen.
Where did you hear that?

Reaction Score

Well considering that Tara Vanderveer a couple minutes ago just announced her retirement, that might impact Iriafen’s decision to leave. I’m wondering if those rumors about Chen are true or not. Seems like she wouldn’t commit without Tara.

Reaction Score
If a talent like a Chen, Beers, Iriafin, etc is going to use the transfer program a stable, excellent program with a great HC and staff will bring them in!
NOT a program with a coach fired or retires!
If they have one year or maybe two left they don't want to experiment!
Now with Tara retired I'd be very surprised if Chen didn't pick UConn!

Reaction Score
If Iriafen does hit the portal, I’m sorry but Geno needs to put out the full court press to get her. UConn was in her final 5 but I don’t remember hearing if she ever took an OV during her initial recruitment. Does anyone know if she did? But she did say this, and I know a coach who can get the best out of his players and the players love him. He just happens to be in Storrs, CT :cool: I think the only alternative is ND. Their graduate transfer pipeline from Stanford needs to be stopped immediately.

IMG_1034.jpeg

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
If I offered my two cents on this thread I would probably get back change...that is how little I know about who is in the portal, who Geno, et al. is interested in, who would consider spending their last year at UConn knowing that they will not be getting 30 plus minutes, and is there a strategy by coaches to grab the player that they think could hurt them the most before another coach grabs the player. There are a lot of variables that go into playing the transfer portal. And, here is the rub...with the impact players have had when coaches have used the portal I don't think elite coaches can ignore it. Additionally, taking players from the portal could produce a negative effect on the chemistry of a team. Players who stayed may have anticipated where they would fit into the rotation but now, they may have to recalibrate that preconception. We were extremely lucky when we were able to pick up Dorka Juhasz and Lou Lopez Senechal and more than likely, because of that success and because of the reasons above I don't see how Geno could not take a serious look at who is in the transfer portal.

The question becomes where in the lineup does Geno and his staff believe that UConn needs the help. He certainly knows more than we do about when the injured players will be returning to active status. So, does he go with an established big to add confidence to the front court? Does he go with a proven point guard to try and mitigate the loss of Nika Muhl and to add more strength to the back-court? Or, does he split the baby and go with one established big and one proven point guard? What is certain is that the temptation will be hard to resist. It is like a second bite at the apple and it is possible to pick up a quality player that the program was not in the running for during the recruiting cycle.

My wish list would include a quality big who is unselfish and doesn't mind playing 20-some minutes and who buys into UConn's desire to win its 12th championship. I would also like to have a quality, proven point guard because with Nika gone...and all the quality shooters we have in the back-court and at the small forward position...should KK find herself in foul trouble or God forbid on the injured list we would need someone who can be counted on in that position.

Anyone that Geno would take from the transfer portal would have to accept that the plethora of talent that UConn will be able to put on the floor will be beyond ridiculous and as a result, will be looking at playing 20-22 minutes maximum. It may be hard for a player who only has one year of eligibility left and wants to ascend to the WNBA to accept that reality.

Players that have to play next year are:

1. Paige Bueckers - the best player in America
2. Azzi Fudd - the best three-point shooter in America
3. Jana El Alfy - 6'5" Geno says, "wait until you see her play".
4. Ice Brady - A lot of time has been invested in her this past season and the "Sophomore Jump" should see much improvement.
5. Caroline Ducharme - I hope people haven't forgotten how good she is.
6. Aubrey Griffin - Why? Because! Well, I can't leave it there...how many times have you heard that Aubrey's
athleticism is unmatched?
7. Ashlynn Shade - she was there when Geno needed her, she started almost the entire season, and not only played steady, but, she showed improvement throughout the season even though she didn't have the greatest NCAA tournament.
8. KK Arnold - she is the fastest player getting downhill, her defense is tenacious, she was another player who was there for Geno when the injuries began to pile up, and she had a decent post-season.
9. Ayanna Patterson - She needs to be given a chance since she was a sub in the 2022-23 season before she was injured and had to sit out the 2023-24 season.
10. Sarah Strong - the number one recruit in the nation...she has to play
11. Allie Ziebel - The kid is just too good a shooter to not let her play.
12. Morgan Chelli - 6'2" guard...that is hard to find and she wasn't a Nike All-Star for nothing.
13. Qadence Samuels - Gave some good minutes during the 2023-24 season, a good three-point shooter...a long 6'0".

If you add two more quality players from the transfer portal, where are all the minutes going to come from? You only have 200 minutes to spread around.

Paige - 24 minutes
Azzi - 20 minutes
Sarah - 17 minutes
Jana El Alfy - 17 minutes
Ice Brady - 17 minutes
Ayana Patterson - 10 minutes
KK Arnold - 18 minutes
Ashlynn Shade - 15 minutes
Caroline - 17 minutes
Aubrey Griffin - 18 minutes
Qadence Samuels - 12 minutes
Allie Ziebel - 8 minutes
Morgan Chelli - 7 minutes.

200 minutes...managing minutes is going to be Geno's biggest challenge with this squad. If he adds two players from the transfer portal it will only make it more difficult. It wouldn't surprise me if Geno forgoes the portal this season...but who knows? I sure don't!

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Iriafen's final five schools were Stanford, UCLA, Baylor, Notre Dame, and UConn.

I don't believe there was any public word on Iriafen visiting Storrs back then.
I wouldn't be surprise to see her at either UCLA or Notre Dame

Reaction Score
I believe Barker has said that she doesn't like UConn.
I believe that the "doesn't like" idea came up during her H.S. recruiting.
Two years ago is a place and a time "FAR, FAR AWAY". BTW, Barker
and Ayanna Patterson were on the same USA FIBA GOLD MEDAL winning
3x3 WBB TEAM. The 2021 Fiba WORLD CUP.

JBK

Reaction Score
Geno rarely makes freshman starters, and for good reason. So on a team that could challenge for the national title you think an unproven center in Jana is a sure thing. She should share the minutes with a proven center, and Ice isn't it, not does the other Freshman Strong want to be it. We have many questions up front. If the right fit exists you take them!
Would love to entertain Olson. She can play defense - score and assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom