Portal Shopping List | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Portal Shopping List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lots of great thoughts here, but not one mentions Hailey Van Lith. Controversial for sure, but think of the experience and knowledge of the top competition. Love to hear comments about her vs Chen.
Hailey Van Lith is a huuuuge liability on defense! She’s small, slow, and is a volume shooter. Please, No!

Reaction Score
If we can land Caitlyn Chen it will be excellent to the program.
I saw her play couple times and she is very very good. She can move the ball, pass or make a shoot.

Chen is indeed a good player but does not fill a primary need which is a big! If he gets a good big first, then I could see going after Chen but even then it might be better to get two bigs! If they were available, of course. Who was the 6’4” girl some posters were talking about last week? How about her and Van Slooten? Of course, there are likely to be more entries into the portal in the next few days. Let’s hope a really good big becomes available.

Reaction Score
The last NCAA championships since UConn won in 2016 and notable transfers:

2017 South Carolina: Davis and Gray

2018 Notre Dame: Shepard

2019 Baylor: Jackson

2021 Stanford: None?

2022 South Carolina: Cardoso

2023 LSU: Reese, Morris, Williams, Carson, Poole

2024 South Carolina: Cardoso

In 6 of the last 7 championships, a key transfer was instrumental in getting her team the win. I think it's a mistake not to utilize the portal.
2024 didn’t Te-Hina Paopao transfer to SCar too ?

Reaction Score
Chen is indeed a good player but does not fill a primary need which is a big! If he gets a good big first, then I could see going after Chen but even then it might be better to get two bigs! If they were available, of course. Who was the 6’4” girl some posters were talking about last week? How about her and Van Slooten? Of course, there are likely to be more entries into the portal in the next few days. Let’s hope a really good big becomes available.
All this talk about a big .. we need a rebounding machine and some one that can make bunnies that’s not all about size ..

Reaction Score
All this talk about a big .. we need a rebounding machine and some one that can make bunnies that’s not all about size ..
Yeah, last I looked, Chen is not a rebounding machine, most of whom, I might add, are bigs!

Reaction Score
I agree with other posters on here, Geno should only sign somebody if it's a homerun. However, he shouldn't do it "just because" everyone else is. Nowadays, re-recruiting your own players to stay is an accomplishment. Look at how many Kim lost at LSU. UConn has the upper-hand next season with returning players and depth. Ice is a streaky gunner and I'd like to see her more poised and she can easily be our next Morgan Tuck.

We'll have the best backcourt in the country coming in. Griffin might surprise us all! Don't forget Caroline played great in the 2022 title game...all that happened this past year and we were ONE bad call away from another championship game appearance. Seeing how close Iowa came, we are just fine people! People on this board are OBSESSED with height, but a 6'2" post from Iowa tore us up!

Reaction Score
I agree with other posters on here, Geno should only sign somebody if it's a homerun. However, he shouldn't do it "just because" everyone else is. Nowadays, re-recruiting your own players to stay is an accomplishment. Look at how many Kim lost at LSU. UConn has the upper-hand next season with returning players and depth. Ice is a streaky gunner and I'd like to see her more poised and she can easily be our next Morgan Tuck.

We'll have the best backcourt in the country coming in. Griffin might surprise us all! Don't forget Caroline played great in the 2022 title game...all that happened this past year and we were ONE bad call away from another championship game appearance. Seeing how close Iowa came, we are just fine people! People on this board are OBSESSED with height, but a 6'2" post from Iowa tore us up!
Even so, another big in the 6’4”+ range, if a good one becomes available, would suit me just fine. Given what we have gone through these past three+ years, It certainly won’t hurt to have an extra big in the cupboard!

Reaction Score
For those interested in "CHAMPIONSHIP" team building = see the
ATHLETIC, New York TIMES sports section article today by BRIAN
HAMILTON. The Article compares and contrasts PRUDUE and
UCONN techniques to building NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBER
TEAMS.== Recruiting, PORTAL, and players " buying into" a lesser
"ROLE" ( i.e. fewer minutes, fewer points ) for the greater TEAM result.
It is worth a read /review for those following this thread : PORTAL
SHOPPING LIST. In this "ATHLETIC " article there are some insightful quotes
from H.C. Hurley, the H.C. from Purdue, and the Writer Brian
Hamilton... ENJOY.... I found it VERY educational, and somewhat
provocative!!

Reaction Score
Even so, another big in the 6’4”+ range, if a good one becomes available, would suit me just fine. Given what we have gone through these past three+ years, It certainly won’t hurt to have an extra big in the cupboard!
I think another top big is a priority, but adding another player beyond that to complete the maximum 15 is a much more difficult decision. There is an opportunity cost there. The number of 2025 free rides we can offer is potentially affected. Paige, Azzi and Caroline could all return for 25/26. If we added two players now with two years eligibility left, we could be shut out from any additional recruits from the class of 2025.

If we didn't fill that last spot, or did one of the two with a player only eligible for next season, then we would guarantee we could add at least one more 2025 recruit (Somfai?). Yes I know something else may happen, and even be likely to happen that opens up a 25/26 spot, but the roster crunch issue may not be totally behind us yet.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Okay, lets lay this thing out.
Two days ago, we reached 15 players with the addition of Strong. Two days later, we are down to 13. Last year we started out with 14 and ended up with 8. The kids coming back from injuries are not guaranteed when they will be ready. Patterson, DuCharme were supposedly ready this year, but it didn't turn out that way. I feel confident that we will be ok at the guard position, but there are too many questions about the Bigs. In order to compete with SC, we have to have a good post presence, so bulking up the roster in that position should be the priority. We need to get an experienced Big from the portal that can play everyday. Someone mentioned the men's team and the two centers rotation. That is the answer and getting a big post will give us the backup we need to pursue the NC. SC will be formidable again, and we have to keep up to remain in contention for the big prize.

Reaction Score
6'6" Kyla Oldacre out of Miami of Ohio.
2023-24 (As a Sophomore)
  • Started all but one non-conference game
  • Played nearly 31 minutes, scoring 10 while blocking three shots and grabbing eight boards to help Miami past Southern Nov. 17
  • Held it down in the paint, scoring 10 while reeling in seven boards to aid in the 75-70 win against DePaul Dec. 8
  • Scored 11 points and nabbed six boards against No. 10/13 Baylor
  • Reeled in a career-best nine boards at Boston College Jan. 4
  • Notched a career-high six blocks to help Miami set a program record for blocks in a game during the win against Wake Forest Jan. 7
If we were to go to the portal this is the type of player I'd want. I've never seen her play, but I think a kid from a school that might not make a FF may want to come to a school that might - the same way Cam Spencer transferred from Rutgers for the men. But with Geno, stats sometimes (most times) take a back seat to team chemistry.

Reaction Score
6'6" Kyla Oldacre out of Miami of Ohio.
2023-24 (As a Sophomore)
  • Started all but one non-conference game
  • Played nearly 31 minutes, scoring 10 while blocking three shots and grabbing eight boards to help Miami past Southern Nov. 17
  • Held it down in the paint, scoring 10 while reeling in seven boards to aid in the 75-70 win against DePaul Dec. 8
  • Scored 11 points and nabbed six boards against No. 10/13 Baylor
  • Reeled in a career-best nine boards at Boston College Jan. 4
  • Notched a career-high six blocks to help Miami set a program record for blocks in a game during the win against Wake Forest Jan. 7
Did Oldacre grow 2 or 3 inches since high school? I remember her as a skilled but slow low post player who had trouble running the floor. She may not have The stamina for the UConn defense and transition game. Of course signing her for 3 years could clog up the scholarship chart which is not how Geno normally thinks about transfers. Unless she really fits the team chemistry, I don’t see Geno going this route.

Reaction Score
I agree even with some form of head gear.
After 6 months of recuperation, analysis and treatment for her condition, it would seem likely that the next step would be to play some type of summer ball. I would hope this would be under consideration as it would give her (and the team) the answer to her availability for the upcoming season.

Reaction Score
Okay, lets lay this thing out.
Two days ago, we reached 15 players with the addition of Strong. Two days later, we are down to 13. Last year we started out with 14 and ended up with 8. The kids coming back from injuries are not guaranteed when they will be ready. Patterson, DuCharme were supposedly ready this year, but it didn't turn out that way. I feel confident that we will be ok at the guard position, but there are too many questions about the Bigs. In order to compete with SC, we have to have a good post presence, so bulking up the roster in that position should be the priority. We need to get an experienced Big from the portal that can play everyday. Someone mentioned the men's team and the two centers rotation. That is the answer and getting a big post will give us the backup we need to pursue the NC. SC will be formidable again, and we have to keep up to remain in contention for the big prize.
This sounds to me to mean: Have a starting "BIG" ... have a BIG to "spell" her teammate so that
everyone gets plenty of rest (split playing times, though not necessarily equal)... and having
an" insurance" player for the event of an injury, or to develop her talent over two years. Of course
there might be some opponents where GENO might decide to have two BIGS in the game at the
same time... then the third player is the Backup in that rotation.

Reaction Score
Getting Lucy Olson would be like the Vikings getting Brett Favre you hated him when he was in Green Bay but when he came to the Vikings grew to love him so I guess as long as she doesn’t throw back across her body in the championship game she could be really good for the Huskies

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
To start with don't we already have an offer out to a HS kid from Florida 6'1" F Emely Rodrigues. The thinking originally was this was 'conditional' based on the Strong offer, but I suspect Geno already knew Strong was coming when he offered Emely and he knew he had one or two additional spots opening up. Might be wrong but coaches know a lot more than we board members.

If Emely comes that is a 14 member roster already, and I think it is getting a little crowded for 2025. That would suggest that getting a 2-3 year transfer player might clog up the 25 and 26 HS recruiting picture. And would point to only taking a top tier transfer if you are losing out on a future HS star.

I am intrigued by
The C out of BU - local, SR, 6'4" center, 19pts/11reb, 3bk/gm in 36min/gm POY and DPOY this year. The Patriot league isn't a power conference, but she is an agile big with 4 years experience and would be here just one year. At the moment I think she is the best post player transferring for a one year stint. Not sure there is anyone else in that conversation at the moment.

As far as phenomenal players with longer windows ... Timea Gardiner out of Oregon State 6'3" with 2 years left is tops in the power player category, though she isn't a center. 11/7 pts/rbs and shot 40% from 3 on 172 attempts in 27 minutes mostly off the bench. No idea if she would consider leaving the western half of the country (home Utah), and her skills may duplicate Strong's.

More developmental and a 3 yr window ... Aussie Pania Davis out of NMJC 6'6" center. 14/10/3 pts/rbs/bks in 27mins. Don't know much about her but the size and history with the Aussie DLeague is interesting.

Oldacre out of Miami has size at 6'6" but limited experience and 3 years of eligibility.

Should have a flood of new players in the next week, but will there be anyone of note? And if Emely is not coming, a longer term transfer is more attractive.

Reaction Score
Can anyone recite what Cam Spencer meant ( portal Transfer ) to the men's team this year ??
Another big next year ( with the right qualifications ) is a must.
Chen with her vast experience and winning attitude would be a fine addition while KK matures at PG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom