Portal Question | The Boneyard

Portal Question

Reaction Score
Are players allowed to call schools to gauge interest before entering the portal?

Reaction Score
Are players allowed to call schools to gauge interest before entering the portal?
I don't think an opposing coach can talk to a kid under scholarship at all until they're in the portal. Legally anyways. But you can talk to your HS coach and he can talk to them. Or your juco coach. Or AAU coach. Or a guy you know who knows their assistant. Or they might just tamper and reach out to you.

Reaction Score
I don't think an opposing coach can talk to a kid under scholarship at all until they're in the portal. Legally anyways. But you can talk to your HS coach and he can talk to them. Or your juco coach. Or AAU coach. Or a guy you know who knows their assistant. Or they might just tamper and reach out to you.

Pretty sure they can even talk to someone's parents. IIRC any of the rules on parent contact end when you're 18 (but don't quote me on that)

Reaction Score
A good primer on the transfer portal which opens next Monday. Still don't understand why they do this during the NCAA Tournament. Some coaches have more important matters. It's only opened for 45 days so why not wait until after the NCAA Tournament is over? Early April to mid May wouldn't really impact anything else. Is there a reason this has to start next week?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
A good primer on the transfer portal which opens next Monday. Still don't understand why they do this during the NCAA Tournament. Some coaches have more important matters. It's only opened for 45 days so why not wait until after the NCAA Tournament is over? Early April to mid May wouldn't really impact anything else. Is there a reason this has to start next week?

I felt at the time we were at a disadvantage since we were advancing each week while other staffs were out there working the portal kids. First World problem.

Reaction Score

I am with you on that one. I remember Dickinson entered the portal on March 10th of last year, IIRC. I know it was early when the NCAAT was about to start.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Just a guess here but as the spring semester normally ends during the first week of May there's a good chance they pick what they project as the last semester date and count backwards 45 days from there.

Reaction Score

I get the logic of waiting for the season to end, and in theory I'd be on board. But I think that's a very difficult thing to enforce when so many teams' seasons have ended. Feel like there'd just be even more backroom deals being made than already happens

Reaction Score

Ah
For starters, when a coach gets fired, players are given a 30 day window to enter the portal. As a result, we already see players from school looking for new coaches in the portal. Also, grad transfers are permitted to enter at any time.
I was wondering why some guys were already announcing they were in the portal.

Reaction Score

Not as drastic as my suggestion but Matt Norlander also thinks delaying the opening of the portal would be a good idea.

If you're unaware, the transfer portal will officially open next Monday, hours after we get the bracket. It's a terrible look for college basketball, and the timeline needs to change in 2025 to, at minimum, open after the first weekend of the tournament. Ideally: after the Elite Eight. Get this thing away from Selection Sunday.

Reaction Score
Not as drastic as my suggestion but Matt Norlander also thinks delaying the opening of the portal would be a good idea.

If you're unaware, the transfer portal will officially open next Monday, hours after we get the bracket. It's a terrible look for college basketball, and the timeline needs to change in 2025 to, at minimum, open after the first weekend of the tournament. Ideally: after the Elite Eight. Get this thing away from Selection Sunday.

Me season is right around the corner. Has anyone entered the same day they lose in the Tournament?

Reaction Score
If I was a gambling man-And I'm not- I would bet that most handlers/AAU coaches/Family and Friends might "float" a what-if scenario by teams that their guys would want to play for before they threw their name in the portal. Hoping that their preferred landing spot would respond.

Just guessin'

Reaction Score
At this point most kids have “handlers” or street agents. These people are always talking and know what schools are interested and how much nil is being offered.

Reaction Score
Good article if you're interested in the portal world. Not surprised at the responses from coaches based on what we've seen and heard.

“NIL is the single biggest factor in the criteria prospects now use to pick a college,” a coach in the Big East said. “Playing time, style of play, conference affiliation are now clearly second tier criteria.”

“NIL plays a huge role in transfer portal recruiting,” a coach in the SEC said. “Unfortunately, too much in my opinion.”

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
At this point most kids have “handlers” or street agents. These people are always talking and know what schools are interested and how much nil is being offered.
I would imagine that most kids that enter the portal already know the handful of landing places available for them and at that point just comes down to the bidding war now. I doubt any are entering the portal without already having a slight idea of where they will land.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Good article if you're interested in the portal world. Not surprised at the responses from coaches based on what we've seen and heard.

“NIL is the single biggest factor in the criteria prospects now use to pick a college,” a coach in the Big East said. “Playing time, style of play, conference affiliation are now clearly second tier criteria.”

“NIL plays a huge role in transfer portal recruiting,” a coach in the SEC said. “Unfortunately, too much in my opinion.”

There’s always coaching opportunities in D2 for these wholesome fellows who only care about developing rosters and being a role model.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom