Poll: Would Baylor Have Won if Kim Mulkey was still the Head Coach? | The Boneyard

Poll: Would Baylor Have Won if Kim Mulkey was still the Head Coach?

Would Baylor Have Won if Kim Mulkey was still the Head Coach ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Would Baylor have beaten So Dakota is Kim was still the Head Coach.

I think so, as the players didn't seem to know how to handle the situation. I thought the same thing at the end of the Texas game where Baylor lost the B12 Tournament Championship. In yesterday's game and the Texas game I believed Kim would have gotten the players to believe in themselves and been a difference maker.

What do you think?

Reaction Score

I think so, as the players didn't seem to know how to handle the situation. I thought the same thing at the end of the Texas game where Baylor lost the B12 Tournament Championship. In yesterday's game and the Texas game I believed Kim would have gotten the players to believe in themselves and been a difference maker.

What do you think?
Hard to say, I believe Kim may have calm the situation down but it is ultimately the players who determine the game outcome. I give the SD players credit they did stay calm and played with confidence, hard to beat a team that stays together.

Reaction Score
Maybe. Maybe not. Could Coach Mulkey talk Baylor into shooting better? Maybe. Maybe not. Baylor shot 31% from the field and 19% from 3-point range. Then throw in the 19 turnovers by Baylor. Could Coach Mulkey have helped? Maybe. Maybe not. Props to South Dakota. Well played game.

Reaction Score
Let's just put these in perspective. With Kim. Baylor would be #1 seed.

The roster would look different
Jordan Lewis... The two Carrs that's at Syracuse. McDaniel. Gusters. The team would have been deeper. More balanced. Not jacking up 20+ 3's a game. Now speaking on the current seed and game. Baylor would have won by at least 20. But I'm not taking away from the team SD have.

Reaction Score
I said yes, but now IDK with this particular team. However, if she would have stayed at Baylor, would she have gone after Alexis Morris?? Also, Hannah Gusters would still have been there. That changes the game. I think that some other players decided not to transfer to Baylor after Kim decided to leave.

Reaction Score
Let's just put these in perspective. With Kim. Baylor would be #1 seed.

The roster would look different
Jordan Lewis... The two Carrs that's at Syracuse. McDaniel. Gusters. The team would have been deeper. More balanced. Not jacking up 20+ 3's a game. Now speaking on the current seed and game. Baylor would have won by at least 20. But I'm not taking away from the team SD have.

What do you think?
Nicki had a worn out player rotation of 7 and 3 of the 7 were not 100% yesterday. Andrews has played with wrist injury for a month, Owens rolled ankle in game, Nylassa sick (played with fever in Friday’s game and wasn’t well yesterday).

If Kim had this same scenario, no I do not think she would have won this game. If she had the roster that was there when she left Baylor, she may have won.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kim made it to 4 FF at Baylor with 3 championships, but her team also bowed out in the S16 when she had senior Griner and junior Sims. She took her teams to a FF only once in each 7 year gap between championships. Sometimes team just crap out and a coach isn't going to make a difference.

Now ... if Kim were still at Baylor there would be several different players on the roster and who knows what would have happen to this year.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
In the last 5 mins of 4Q, I was surprised that Smith didn't take charge more? She seemed to be deferring and her intensity was not as high as I've seen it in prior games. Wondering if the B12 finals loss took more away than we thought.

Reaction Score
In the last 5 mins of 4Q, I was surprised that Smith didn't take charge more? She seemed to be deferring and her intensity was not as high as I've seen it in prior games. Wondering if the B12 finals loss took more away than we thought.
She was sick during this game. Played with fever on Friday. Not 100% during this game and it showed in her play,

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The answer to this question is YES. I was surprised Collen had as good a year as she had but let's see how the next 2-3 years play out with her recruiting and actual in-game coaching. The AD has made the statement and has stick with it as he made it about the showdown with Kim so he will be going above and beyond to support Collen and not look bad. To me, this is still not a great hire but better than my initial thinking of finishing 3rd in the Big12 behind Texas and Iowa State.

Reaction Score
Collen’s postgame was not good. She was close to tears a few times but regained her composure. Came across as a much more intelligent Holly Warlick. She used a bunch of jargon to sound smart but you couldn’t ignore what you saw on the court. I didn’t come away from it confident about her. She said S Dakota was very physical and took it to her small guards. She said being behind to S Dakota by 10 feels a lot different to trailing Oklahoma. Meaning it was a slog to make up points.

Last edited:

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I thought the Baylor player body language was awful in the waning minutes of the game against South Dakota. It was like they were just resigned to the fact they were going to lose. Kim would have gone ballistic if that had happened on her watch.

Reaction Score
People seem to forget that Baylor lost Carr to Syracuse and McDaniel left. They were also rumored to be landing Christiana Carr before Kim made the move.

But to answer your question, Kim would have pounded the ball to their posts last night instead of jacking up a bunch of 3s.

That said I haven’t seen body language that bad from a baylor team in a long long time.

To make matters worse Baylor lost at home and they were never truly close coming back to win

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
SD played too sharp for Kim to have made a difference.
SD is riding a tsunami wave.
It's impossible to stop an ocean wave, and when a talented team goes on a roll it's just like a huge unstoppable wave, even if it's only temporary.
That's what Cinderella teams are all about.

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
She was sick during this game. Played with fever on Friday. Not 100% during this game and it showed in her play,
Thanks much. I didn't hear this as we were trying to watch a few games at same time.

Reaction Score
I do know this, if Kim was coaching, Baylor's body language, that last 5 minutes of the game, would not have been so poor.

Reaction Score
SD played too sharp for Kim to have made a difference.
SD is riding a tsunami wave.
It's impossible to stop an ocean wave, and when a talented team goes on a roll it's just like a huge unstoppable wave, even if it's only temporary.
That's what Cinderella teams are all about.
South Dakota looks better than a Villanova, Belmont, BYU or Gonzaga who played tough against L’ville. Creighton and South Dakota would be a good game. The Big East is very impressive except DePaul who shouldn’t have been in. Villanova put me in my place

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Nicki had a worn out player rotation of 7 and 3 of the 7 were not 100% yesterday. Andrews has played with wrist injury for a month, Owens rolled ankle in game, Nylassa sick (played with fever in Friday’s game and wasn’t well yesterday).

If Kim had this same scenario, no I do not think she would have won this game. If she had the roster that was there when she left Baylor, she may have won.

Agree with this. Kim is no doubt an amazing coach but she was often prone to getting bounced earlier than expected from the NCAAs (most years between 2013-2018) so I don't think she would've been able to will last night's team to win given the roster and circumstances.

Had she coached her crew for a full season and had Carr, McDaniel, and Gusters, then Baylor is on the 1 line and cruises to the Sweet 16.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
The current Baylor team ran through Smith. Smith was sick and weak. Queen needed to do more with Smith not being herself. Many "should have, would have, could have's", but I believe the game was lost by Baylor due to poor shooting by a team that was exhausted (due to lack of depth) and injuries. We don't know if this team would have beat SD with Kim, but we do know the roster would have been different (more depth). Kim goes through the paint and SD was packing the paint - sometimes with 3 (not sure Gusters would have made a difference). Give credit to SD as they played a great game - extremely physical and great shooting.

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score
For whatever reason, in the 4th quarter with the clock on their back, The Bears played as if it was the 3rd quarter. They took 15 second to get into the offensive. Zero sense of urgency.

Don't know if that is on the coach or on the players.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My only observation was that Nalyssa Smith seemed to have no emotion in the 4th Q.
All I kept thinking was she was counting the days to the WNBA draft. Doubt Kim would have let that go.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
My only observation was that Nalyssa Smith seemed to have no emotion in the 4th Q.
All I kept thinking was she was counting the days to the WNBA draft. Doubt Kim would have let that go.
Nalyssa was sick! Baylor is lucky that she was even on the floor, much less playing the 4th qrt.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Nalyssa was sick! Baylor is lucky that she was even on the floor, much less playing the 4th qrt.
That would explain a lot. It's awful when a contest coincides with personal illness...especially when it could mean the end of a college playing career.

We had wrestler for NC State, went undefeated all year long, but was battling a cold and just didn't have the energy to win a semi-final match at Nationals last week. He did secure 3rd place, but after the year he had, it's a real shame he just wasn't himself at the national tournament. At least he gets to come back for two more years.

For Smith...her college career is over now. Unsatisfactory ending for all with a vested or rooting interest in Baylor WCBB.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ok. No announcement was made in 4th Q when I saw the game

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom