POLL: Will the 2012 recruiting class be UConn's best ever? | The Boneyard

POLL: Will the 2012 recruiting class be UConn's best ever?

By the conclusion of the 2015-16 WCBB season, which will be UConn's greatest recruiting class ?

Votes: 20 29.9%

Votes: 47 70.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
For well over a decade, the 1998 TASSK Force has been considered the best ever. It produced three final fours, two national championships (including an undefeated 39-0 season in 2001-02), the 2002 NPOY award, a Lieberman winner, two names on the Huskies of Honor wall, and four top six picks in the WNBA draft (#1 Sue Bird, #2 Swin Cash, #4 Asjha Jones, and #6 Tamika Williams). Certainly, those achievements are the calling cards of an historically great class. Adding Diana Taurasi in 2000 may have made the 1998 class better in 2001 and 2002 (and Shea and Svet were integral to the Huskies' 2000 NC as well), but that's no reason to impugn the accomplishments of everyone but Keirsten Walters.

Having said all of that, I don't think it's a stretch that the 2012 class could be even better.

After all, the 2012 recruiting class has already accomplished the following:

• Three Final Four appearances.
  • Three national championships, including a perfect 40-0 season in 2014.
  • Two names already guaranteed to be on the Huskies of Honor wall, and Morgan Tuck appears for all the world to be headed in that direction as well.
  • The NPOY winner in 2014 and 2015, as well as a Lieberman winner.
  • Stewie and Mo could easily finish in the top two of the 2016 WNBA draft, and Morgan's draft stock can only improve.
In short, the accomplishments of the 2012 class are staggering, notwithstanding the assistance of Bria, KML, and Stef. What's more, there is no shortage of further accolades, both on an individual and team level, that could be added in the upcoming 2015-16 season.

So, given all of that, I've started a poll. Of the 1998 and 2012 recruiting classes, which do you think will be the best when all is said and done...and why?

Reaction Score
It will be very difficult to duplicate the 2012 recruiting class of Breanna Stewart, Mo Jefferson, and Morgan Tuck.

Reaction Score
For well over a decade, the 1998 TASSK Force has been considered the best ever. It produced three final fours, two national championships (including an undefeated 39-0 season in 2001-02), the 2002 NPOY award, a Lieberman winner, two names on the Huskies of Honor wall, and four top six picks in the WNBA draft (#1 Sue Bird, #2 Swin Cash, #4 Asjha Jones, and #6 Tamika Williams). Certainly, those achievements are the calling cards of an historically great class. Adding Diana Taurasi in 2000 may have made the 1998 class better in 2001 and 2002 (and Shea and Svet were integral to the Huskies' 2000 NC as well), but that's no reason to impugn the accomplishments of everyone but Keirsten Walters.

Having said all of that, I don't think it's a stretch that the 2012 class could be even better.

After all, the 2012 recruiting class has already accomplished the following:

• Three Final Four appearances.
  • Three national championships, including a perfect 40-0 season in 2014.
  • Two names already guaranteed to be on the Huskies of Honor wall, and Morgan Tuck appears for all the world to be headed in that direction as well.
  • The NPOY winner in 2014 and 2015, as well as a Lieberman winner.
  • Stewie and Mo could easily finish in the top two of the 2016 WNBA draft, and Morgan's draft stock can only improve.
In short, the accomplishments of the 2012 class are staggering, notwithstanding the assistance of Bria, KML, and Stef. What's more, there is no shortage of further accolades, both on an individual and team level, that could be added in the upcoming 2015-16 season.

So, given all of that, I've started a poll. Of the 1998 and 2012 recruiting classes, which do you think will be the best when all is said and done...and why?

Why is this important to you?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
boreifs said:
Why is this important to you?
why is crapping on a thread important to you, or at least manifestly worth your while?

What's more, who says any thread is important? It's a a freaking message board for a college sports team, not for world peace.

Reaction Score
I went with 2012. I expect them to win this year and go 4 for 4. Also other considerations.

Will Stewie be considered greatest husky ever?

I never saw Miller play but other than that will Stewie be considered greatest wcbb ever? If she beats out DT/Maya - she is up there, right?

Will MoJeff surpass Sue Bird? Some think she already has.

If MoJeff surpasses Sue Bird as a consensus - is she then considered the greatest pg in wcbb history? I didn't see Dawn play.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That 1998 class was fabulous, and the players from that class have also gone on to great pro/USA careers, but ... the 2000 class (of one) won more titles in college and included the best individual player, college or pro, to attend Uconn. The 2012 class has now matched the 2000 class in titles with a chance of surpassing it, the college accolades for the players in that class are likely to surpass those from any other class and if they remain healthy the pro careers should also be pretty stellar. They could end college with 4 (or even 5) NCAAs, 3 NPOYs, 2 Liebermans, 7-8 cumulative first team AAs and 100% AA status, plus 4 (or 5) FF MOPs

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That 1998 class was fabulous, and the players from that class have also gone on to great pro/USA careers, but ... the 2000 class (of one) won more titles in college and included the best individual player, college or pro, to attend Uconn. The 2012 class has now matched the 2000 class in titles with a chance of surpassing it, the college accolades for the players in that class are likely to surpass those from any other class and if they remain healthy the pro careers should also be pretty stellar. They could end college with 4 (or even 5) NCAAs, 3 NPOYs, 2 Liebermans, 7-8 cumulative first team AAs and 100% AA status, plus 4 (or 5) FF MOPs
I think there is always a "recency bias" in this type of discussion, but the 2012 class is impressive and arguably the best ever.

NCAA titles: 1998--2; 2012--3 and counting, possibly 4 or 5. Morgan can become the ultimate icon.

NPOY: 1998--Sue 1x; 2012--Stewie 2x and counting. Could be 3. Morgan could make it 4.

Liebermans: 1998--Sue 3x (still the only one); 2012: Moriah 1x and counting, 2 quite possible.

AA: 1998--Sue at least 1x and Swin 1x; 2012--Stewie 2x and counting; Moriah 1x and counting; Morgan counting. 7 possible.

Final Four MOPs: 1998--1, Swin; 2012--Stewie 3x and counting.

Win streaks; 1998--39 plus some in the 20s; 2012--47, plus 36 and counting.

USA Basketball: I believe that Sue is the most decorated ever; I also believe that Stewie is on a pace to surpass her.

WNBA, Olympic, and Worlds: Too early to say, though 1998 comprised 25% of the Olympic squad in London.

Best ever at position: Sue arguably at PG. Can Moriah reach that lofty level? Stewie quite possible for whatever position it is that she plays.

I still really, really like the 2007 recruiting class: Maya Moore and Lorin Dixon. As Tara VanDerveer said, "Maya and a bunch of middle schoolers would be a pretty good team."

Reaction Score
I voted for 2012, but I think 1998 would win a game head to head because they outnumber 2012.

Reaction Score
I voted for 2012 for all of the above reasons. In addition, the 1998 class lost a total of 9 games while the 2012 class has only lost 5 games and I don't think they're going to lose 4 more.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Collegiate success it has to be 2012 by a mile.

When you look at 1998, they were upset early in the 1999 tournament and had an underwhelming 2001 season, considering massive expectations. They were outstanding in 2000 and 2002 though. They could dominate opponents, but the best teams were able to hang with UCONN. Tennessee won games in 3/4 years, Notre Dame took two off the Huskies in 2001, and Rutgers put up some big fights. That said, women's basketball was also loaded in talent during these 4 years, as the 2001 and 2004 graduating classes were two of the best ever. On an individual level, the only player who was in contention for an AA award before their senior year was Sue Bird. Jones and Williams came off the bench for much of their first three seasons, Cash was a solid forward but was in the shadow of Abrosimova, and Bird was widely regarded as one of the best point guards in the nation but no one could have predicted how successful she would become. Their last season, the 4 seniors were incredible. Bird ran the show, Cash elevated her play, Jones elevated her play, and Williams did what she did best, clean up on the glass and finish inside. Their 4 year record was outstanding, and they played in 3 Final Fours. I think what people remember most though, is that the senior class went 1, 2, 4 and 6 in the 2002 WNBA draft.

Now look at 2012. As a group they have:
-Won 3 titles
-Have an 18-0 record in NCAA Tournament games
-Have won Final Four games by an average of 20.7 ppg
-Have won NCAA Tournament games by an average of 31.2 ppg
-Have an overall record of 113-5
-In their 113 wins, 112 have been won by double digits
-Have average MOV of 32.7, 34.3 and 40.7

Individually you have Stewart who will graduate as the most decorated player in women's basketball history when you combine individual awards and championships. Jefferson is UCONN's most efficient guard ever, and will most likely finish #2 in UCONN's record book for steals and #1 in assists. She'll also be a 2x All American. Tuck has a shot to be a 2x All American and could stamp her own place in UCONN history after a great sophomore year.

When you project professional success, that is where 1998 has truly shined. 3 of the 4 have won Gold Medals, Bird will go down as one of the best point guards in USA history, Cash and Jones have been staples in the league as consistent double figure scorers, and Williams had some nice seasons in the W before calling it quits early on. Will 2012 be able to replicate that success? Who knows, that remains to be seen.

Reaction Score
This is like choosing between peanut butter and jelly. They're both great. I picked 2012 because of Stewy. I think she is a generational type player that comes along every 10 years. It is hard to pick against 1998. Which ever class you pick, I think these two are the best classes in the history of women's basketball.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just a note on most decorated USA players - the records across all age groups will continue to fall as more and more competitions are added. The expansion of age level competitions has expanded quite a bit, and then add in 3X3 competitions as well. Stewart's current 'record for her age' will likely be broken quite soon specifically because of the 3x3 additions, but her own record is partly a result of more opportunities added to the fact she has the talent to have been added to older age teams at times when she did not have her own age group teams playing.

Reaction Score
I went with the 1998. I probably will never see in my lifetime a class that had all of the seniors (4) among the first 6 drafted in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
I pick 2012. Because I think in 1998 there were not to many strong WCBB teams than 2012 (that will thanks to UConn. and Tenn.).

I like Stewart not because her skill but her humble attitude.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
why is crapping on a thread important to you, or at least manifestly worth your while?

What's more, who says any thread is important? It's a a freaking message board for a college sports team, not for world peace.

I always suspected you were against world peace! Is your favorite drink sweet vermouth with a twist? ;)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I pick 2012. Because I think in 1998 there were not to many strong WCBB teams than 2012 (that will thanks to UConn. and Tenn.).

I like Stewart not because her skill but her humble attitude.

How do you figure today has more top teams? Look at the seasons from 1999-2002:
1999: Tennessee had the 3 Meeks and was the overwhelming favorite for a 4th straight title. They were knocked off by a good Duke team, and LaTech also had a really good team that year, Purdue was the eventual champion and finished with just one loss and had a loaded roster. Lots of talent in women's basketball this year.

2000 I'll agree that Tennessee and Connecticut were regarded as being in a class of their own. That said, Tennessee was knocked off by LaTech early in the year and got walloped by Georgia mid season.

2001 was a really strong year for women's basketball. One of the best ever, actually. The top teams all year were Notre Dame, Tennessee and Connecticut, but other teams were capable of knocking off these powerhouses on any given night (ex. Purdue, Georgia, Duke, heck Xavier soundly best Tennessee in the Sweet 16.) So many teams fielded outstanding teams that year--off the top of my head, Georgia, LaTech, SMS, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, LSU, Iowa State, Texas Tech and Oklahoma all had really really good teams.

2002 was not as competitive after a major talent drop off for most teams with the stellar 2001 class graduating. Oklahoma had a great team, Tennessee had a good team, Vanderbilt was good, and Duke out together a competitive team but UCONN was clearly in a league of their own.

Compared to this era:
Connecticut, Baylor, and Notre Dame were far and away the best teams this year. Stanford upset a Sims-less Baylor team early in the year, and Baylor was still the overwhelming favorite to win another title but Louisville pulled off the biggest upset ever. Stanford had a good season but was never viewed as a potential title threat, and both Louisville and Cal were going to be blown out by Connecticut and Notre Dame had they matches up in the title game.

2014 was the Notre Dame and UCONN show all year. No one else was remotely close to being on their level.

2015 was essentially a repeat of 2014, but Notre Dame wasn't quite as good. Uconn suffered a freak loss to Notre Dame but fielded their most dominant team ever.

Going into 2016, 90%+ fans are predicting an easy title for uconn.

Reaction Score
How do you figure today has more top teams? Look at the seasons from 1999-2002:
1999: Tennessee had the 3 Meeks and was the overwhelming favorite for a 4th straight title. They were knocked off by a good Duke team, and LaTech also had a really good team that year, Purdue was the eventual champion and finished with just one loss and had a loaded roster. Lots of talent in women's basketball this year.

2000 I'll agree that Tennessee and Connecticut were regarded as being in a class of their own. That said, Tennessee was knocked off by LaTech early in the year and got walloped by Georgia mid season.

2001 was a really strong year for women's basketball. One of the best ever, actually. The top teams all year were Notre Dame, Tennessee and Connecticut, but other teams were capable of knocking off these powerhouses on any given night (ex. Purdue, Georgia, Duke, heck Xavier soundly best Tennessee in the Sweet 16.) So many teams fielded outstanding teams that year--off the top of my head, Georgia, LaTech, SMS, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, LSU, Iowa State, Texas Tech and Oklahoma all had really really good teams.

2002 was not as competitive after a major talent drop off for most teams with the stellar 2001 class graduating. Oklahoma had a great team, Tennessee had a good team, Vanderbilt was good, and Duke out together a competitive team but UCONN was clearly in a league of their own.

Compared to this era:
Connecticut, Baylor, and Notre Dame were far and away the best teams this year. Stanford upset a Sims-less Baylor team early in the year, and Baylor was still the overwhelming favorite to win another title but Louisville pulled off the biggest upset ever. Stanford had a good season but was never viewed as a potential title threat, and both Louisville and Cal were going to be blown out by Connecticut and Notre Dame had they matches up in the title game.

2014 was the Notre Dame and UCONN show all year. No one else was remotely close to being on their level.

2015 was essentially a repeat of 2014, but Notre Dame wasn't quite as good. Uconn suffered a freak loss to Notre Dame but fielded their most dominant team ever.

Going into 2016, 90%+ fans are predicting an easy title for uconn.

I don't think and I;m pretty sure no other UCONN Fan thinks 2016 is going to be an easy NC Title for UCONN. For one thing many more teams will have a realistic chance of making it to the final four. Off the top of my head, besides UCONN you have Tennessee, ND, Maryland, Duke, Baylor, South Carolina, Louisville, North Carolina, Texas, and Florida State with a realistic chance of making the final four and winning it all. Some could also argue that Ohio State belongs on this list with a potential super star in the making on their team.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
For college accomplishments, I'll go with the 2012 class. Time will tell if 2012 will be the most talented ever if you include Pro and USA Basketball accomplishments

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1998, but ask me again 8 months from now.

Reaction Score
I don't think and I;m pretty sure no other UCONN Fan thinks 2016 is going to be an easy NC Title for UCONN. For one thing many more teams will have a realistic chance of making it to the final four. Off the top of my head, besides UCONN you have Tennessee, ND, Maryland, Duke, Baylor, South Carolina, Louisville, North Carolina, Texas, and Florida State with a realistic chance of making the final four and winning it all. Some could also argue that Ohio State belongs on this list with a potential super star in the making on their team.

What do you mean by easy? Here was a thread bbalnut created.

http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/how-dominant-will-uconn-be-in-2015-16.75987/

Reaction Score
bbalnut90 stated "that going into 2016 90%, + Fans are predicting an easy title for UCONN". I was just replying to this poster. Look at post #18 in this thread.

Okay-- but a lot of do think we are going to win by 10 or more every game. Though a 10 point game can be a close hard game.

Reaction Score
I voted for 1998 as that class could still win one championships if not two without other players recruited before/after 1998. While 2012 class has the greatest player, it cannot win even one single championship without the players recruited earlier or after! In fact it cannot even field a complete team to play without the walk ons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom