Poll: Who Wins : TN or SC - Game Thread [MERGED THREAD] | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Poll: Who Wins : TN or SC - Game Thread [MERGED THREAD]

Tonight's winner will be:

• Tennessee

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • South Carolina

Votes: 96 88.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I'm not in the twitter verse but Kaela Davis' mom is one of the worst, most vulgar, helicopter parents you can imagine.
I speak from personal experience at Deep South Classic in 2011 when she berated officials, other parents, other players and her daughters teammates. She is only about her Daughter, who she believes to be God's gift to basketball and her gift to the world. Since I have been posting on the BY other posters have mentioned similar behavior at a tournament in Naples, FL ??
I'm reading the Twitter rant now and... wow, I truly feel for Dawn. :eek:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
any good replays online of the play/call? I cant find any...
The ESPN site has a replay. Not sure if there are any clear views on the the feet though.

Reaction Score
think i got a clear shot of it, 52 steps in front of Nared and there is contact at the knees.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    231.2 KB · Views: 71
Reaction Score
You did say that you would take a loss to Tennessee if SCe could beat UConn next month. Well, you're half way there.
They may be "half way there," but in this case they still have 97% to go. :D

Reaction Score
In this game, DD was everything that she has not been for most of this season and last, and Tenn played hard for the win.

That said, I was really disappointed in S.Car. play and in Dawn's coaching. The players were lost when the two posts were out; they stood around an did little to help themselves. Dawn later pointed out that it is difficult when players are not used to playing together, etc. True enough, but where is the instinct to make something happen? Is setting a screen or a pick and roll so difficult that you cant do it when the post players are sitting? IMHO, this is the result of Dawn's over-emphasis on running the offense through the post players. There has to be some variation in offense, some plan B. Otherwise, it is all too easy to plan for the Gamecocks: Take it to the posts, get them in foul trouble; game over. Even when the posts were in the game, their shot clocks were used up with meaningless dribbling, lots of standing around, awaiting the obvious pass into the post.

Also, she kept the two posts out too long, considering that Tenn was closing the gap/taking the lead before halftime. She could have put one or the other in later in the second q. with instructions to intimidate but not foul, and could have alternated them so neither one got too wound up for the situation. Keeping them out for so long was just a mistake, given her offensive strategy.
In the closing minutes, even though they closed the gap, there didnt seem like there was much urgency in their offense, with the guards bringing the ball down court slowly as if it were early in the 1st quarter. Others have mentioned the inexplicable (final) time out with 45 seconds remaining. And the fouling at the endgame was mis-managed...
Disappointing.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score

I understand that both Diamond and Mercedes. Will wait until after the season to decide. Just think if both did come back. The Cooper back and the class coming in. How good Tennessee can be.

Reaction Score
I understand that both Diamond and Mercedes. Will wait until after the season to decide. Just think if both did come back. The Cooper back and the class coming in. How good Tennessee can be.
Good point. But, they may have had enough after reading the way VolNation has trashed them for half of this year and all of last year. Just say'n.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
TN might be good enough to win the SEC next year. :D

Reaction Score
And speaking of Tennessee, it appears that Moriah may have a new LadyVol teammate.

Reaction Score
Diamond played very well last night.... only 1 turnover as with the ND game... Good for her!!! Why has she chosen to just start to play a year and a half into her Tennessee tenure?? Don't know.... whether or not she stays is immaterial.... Tennessee was running everything through her last night... which is good if she is playing well .... and last night she was...

I find it a bit amusing that in LV Nation.... one game makes Holly a good coach... she out coached Dawn etc.... made wise moves etc.... may be a bit critical, but I do not think Holly deserves any praise until she has had a track record of success.... and that is not one game.... for my opinion, though, glad she won last night... I would like her to coach Tenn forever!!!

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Entertaining game. Tennessee is starting to believe in themselves. When they play to their abilities they have the speed and athleticism to make teams uncomfortable, taking them out of their game. They could be dangerous in the tournament for higher seeded teams that aren't battle tested.

Exactly! TN's style of play requires in your face defense on one end, pushing tempo, and staying in an attack mode. With a short roster, this is no easy task. Also, a few of their players were shut down for the summer. Holly attempted to play the early part of the season at a slow pace and reserve their energy a bit and then ramp up as the season went on. Holly admitted that her team just doesn't play well at a slower pace. They must get out and use their athletic gifts. They thrive playing up tempo. Changes were made and it took time for players to get up to speed (pun intended). They had 14 assists to just 9 turnovers against the team that has led the SEC in defense. This is because their chemistry has improved through court time together and they are now much better at playing at a frenetic pace, while also protecting the ball. This is not easy to do and takes time to come together, especially with a team that doesn't have a true point guard.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Diamond played very well last night.... only 1 turnover as with the ND game... Good for her!!! Why has she chosen to just start to play a year and a half into her Tennessee tenure?? Don't know.... whether or not she stays is immaterial.... Tennessee was running everything through her last night... which is good if she is playing well .... and last night she was...

I find it a bit amusing that in LV Nation.... one game makes Holly a good coach... she out coached Dawn etc.... made wise moves etc.... may be a bit critical, but I do not think Holly deserves any praise until she has had a track record of success.... and that is not one game.... for my opinion, though, glad she won last night... I would like her to coach Tenn forever!!!

Diamond was coming off a severe leg injury last season and a major surgery. She's finally gotten back close to full health and her athleticism is now on full display. She also had torn ligaments in her shooting hand this season. Injuries definitely impact performance.

Her track record thus far is 3 Elite 8s. Not bad for the early part of her career and she's definitely improved.

Reaction Score
And speaking of Tennessee, it appears that Moriah may have a new LadyVol teammate.
And just when I thought they might have to activate Ruth Riley. Seriously, it isn't a lot of fun watching your favorite player knowing that, however she plays, she doesn't have much of a chance to win. Moriah and Kayla McBride are great, but they need help.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Good point. But, they may have had enough after reading the way VolNation has trashed them for half of this year and all of last year. Just say'n.
I can understand that. The thing is its their decision. I have thought that Diamond would leave, and Mercedes stays. I think that's most likely.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Has Margo been posted, if not, here she is... or here she is again lo Go Lady Vols

Thanks DaddyC. You know, no Tennessee post game report is complete unless, and until we check in with "Ya girl Margo". She's become a cult icon in Lady Vol WBB lore. I always enjoy her unabashed takes and observations of their latest game. Because of the magnitude of this game, and the fact that they won, I assumed (and I was correct) that Margo would be extremely ecstatic and would have difficulty tempering her emotions. She did not disappoint. A great win the the Lady Vols, and Vol Nation.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm reading the Twitter rant now and... wow, I truly feel for Dawn. :eek:
I can only imagine! Anything appropriate for sharing here? You might want to check with moderators first.

Reaction Score
I can understand that. The thing is its their decision. I have thought that Diamond would leave, and Mercedes stays. I think that's most likely.
For your sake I wish I could agree with you. Last year I thought Morgan would be better off staying, but she left. I think it's a "fan" thing. We're looking for what we believe is best for our team, while claiming that it would be best for the player.

I now believe that any young woman who has the choice to leave or stay will most likely leave IF she has reason to believe she will be drafted in the first round. If Mercedes looks as good for the rest of the season as she did last night, she may well go in the first round. We'll see.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
After I thought about my posting---which was an attempt at humor--I realized what a failed attempt it had been and how--unless you were gracious--you could be offended. Thanks.
Having said that --prior to being a UC WBB fan--i followed ND BB Men and football --I confess--I have covered by body in charcoal--I confess!!

If we now have to apologize for failed attempts at humor I will have a lot of apologies to post.

Reaction Score
If we now have to apologize for failed attempts at humor I will have a lot of apologies to post.
Thanks I appreciate the comment. My apology was because the connotation in which my comment was made was--religious and inappropriate--after some thought. As hard to believe- as it appears-I actually came to that conclusion without outside help!!
Maybe that shrink was worth the fee???

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom