Poll: Who will the 4th and 5th starter be for next year? | The Boneyard

Poll: Who will the 4th and 5th starter be for next year?

Who will the 4th and 5th starters be?

• Total voters

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think we can all assume that Kia, Napheesa and Lou will be starters next season. I realize Walker is the best player in her class, but given the plethora of talent, it seems incredibly unlikely that she starts. I also don't think Natalie will be in the mix for starting...

So assuming the trio of Stevens, Dangerfield and Williams is in the mix, who do you think the 2 remaining starters will be? Of course this is based on what we know now. Things certainly could change over the summer or heading into next season...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Didn't we just have this discussion a few weeks ago? This is like deja vu all over again.

First of all, there is only one starting position that will be open next year. The idea that Gabby would come off the bench is absurd. She is the best defensive player in WBB. She leads the Huskies in assists and she is a double digit scorer.

As for the 5th starter, I think it will be a battle, and it may change throughout the course of the season, but IMO, Geno may want some additional size on the floor which is why I think it will be Z with Danger providing a spark off the bench.

Reaction Score
I went with Gabby and Azura.

1-- Keep your best or 2nd best player and very experienced on the bench to start the game? Gabby is arguably the best player on the team this year. She may not be but it is arguable.

2-- Keep arguably your best defender on the bench to start the game? Gabby impacts the game defensively coupled with solid offense. If she is your best defender and more experienced while still being a solid offensive player why have her come off the bench?

3-- How bad will our offense suffer with Gabby and Azura? Right now the starter is Chong. How much is Saniya "running the offense?" One of Nurse's biggest problems was that she thought she had to do a lot more. Do we really think that will be a realistic mindset next year? Secondly, we can still have Gabby at the high post in this offense, can't we? AZ and Collier can switch off from low post and wing, can't they? Isn't that how Geno loves his team to, extremely versatile? SO does anyone realistically believe he isn't go to want to try AZ and Collier to interchange / be more versatile in a game from low post to wing? Stewart at times played wing, so why would one think that Geno wouldn't work it to have Collier and AZ try to develop and be wings too?

4-- How bad will our defense suffer with Gabby and Azura? I say not at all. This UCONN team can still switch on every play and Gabby can guard anyone primarily. Put her on the best defender and don't switch if you want too- and have Stevens play like Stewie or Stokes on defense. So on offense she is more of a post.

5-- Geno isn't a versatile coach? He only thinks one-way? I realize I'm twisting the questions to my bias pov, but I can just picture a counter is that "Geno likes two legit ball handling type of guards on the court." I just don't think he has ever had a player like Gabby who can be the team leader in assists and rebounds and can defend nearly every position better than anyone on the floor and is such a disrupter at one end and such a good playmaker at the other - and he won't start her.

6-- UCONN can now be pressed. Not anymore than this year. When this team is pressed note that it is primarily Lou and Nurse bringing the ball up. And who knows maybe Azura can be the Lou and then you have Lou on the wing for the press.

7-- NPOY contender on the bench to start the game? Geno has spoke of AZ as being possibly the number 1 pick if she leaves two years from now. That means he sees potential that she can be better than COllier and Lou. We're going to keep her on the bench with that type of potential in addition to- we're going to risk the same type of foul trouble issues we've had this year by not starting her? No way.

I'm a huge fan of Danger but I can't say what she "is" in terms of being "how good" yet. Defense rules a lot for Geno too and I can't see how Danger could supersede what Gabby (or the size AZ brings thereby keeping Collier and Gabby out of foul trouble)) brings I can see if the team "needs offense" but next year's team won't. Therefore to start a player with suspect defense over Gabby (or AZ) I think has small chance to happen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I went with Gabby and Azura.

1-- Keep your best or 2nd best player and very experienced on the bench to start the game? Gabby is arguably the best player on the team this year. She may not be but it is arguable.

2-- Keep arguably your best defender on the bench to start the game? Gabby impacts the game defensively coupled with solid offense. If she is your best defender and more experienced while still being a solid offensive player why have her come off the bench?

3-- How bad will our offense suffer with Gabby and Azura? Right now the starter is Chong. How much is Saniya "running the offense?" One of Nurse's biggest problems was that she thought she had to do a lot more. Do we really think that will be a realistic mindset next year? Secondly, we can still have Gabby at the high post in this offense, can't we? AZ and Collier can switch off from low post and wing, can't they? Isn't that how Geno loves his team to, extremely versatile? SO does anyone realistically believe he isn't go to want to try AZ and Collier to interchange / be more versatile in a game from low post to wing? Stewart at times played wing, so why would one think that Geno wouldn't work it to have Collier and AZ try to develop and be wings too?

4-- How bad will our defense suffer with Gabby and Azura? I say not at all. This UCONN team can still switch on every play and Gabby can guard anyone primarily. Put her on the best defender and don't switch if you want too- and have Stevens play like Stewie or Stokes on defense. So on offense she is more of a post.

5-- Geno isn't a versatile coach? He only thinks one-way? I realize I'm twisting the questions to my bias pov, but I can just picture a counter is that "Geno likes two legit ball handling type of guards on the court." I just don't think he has ever had a player like Gabby who can be the team leader in assists and rebounds and can defend nearly every position better than anyone on the floor and is such a disrupter at one end and such a good playmaker at the other - and he won't start her.

6-- UCONN can now be pressed. Not anymore than this year. When this team is pressed note that it is primarily Lou and Nurse bringing the ball up. And who knows maybe Azura can be the Lou and then you have Lou on the wing for the press.

7-- NPOY contender on the bench to start the game? Geno has spoke of AZ as being possibly the number 1 pick if she leaves two years from now. That means he sees potential that she can be better than COllier and Lou. We're going to keep her on the bench with that type of potential in addition to- we're going to risk the same type of foul trouble issues we've had this year by not starting her? No way.

I'm a huge fan of Danger but I can't say what she "is" in terms of being "how good" yet. Defense rules a lot for Geno too and I can't see how Danger could supersede what Gabby (or the size AZ brings thereby keeping Collier and Gabby out of foul trouble)) brings I can see if the team "needs offense" but next year's team won't. Therefore to start a player with suspect defense over Gabby (or AZ) I think has small chance to happen.
I think that Geno suggested that early this year, long before he's seen the progress that both Lou and Napheesa have made as this season progressed. The layoff from actual game conditions might have somewhat of an impact on AZ, at least initially. We shall see, come next season.

Reaction Score
Why are you assuming Gabby loses her starting role?

Are you asking me the question? If you are- when I voted it was 4-4 -- Gabby and Azura vs Crytsal and Azura. Thus it meant early on 4 of the 1st 10 votes had Gabby not starting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Didn't we just have this discussion a few weeks ago? This is like deja vu all over again.
Maybe, but with 48 people voting so far, I'd say there is at least still a little bit of interest. Also, I didn't start the thread for debate, necessarily, but to see who people thought the starters would be as of today.

The big surprise to me is that an overwhelming majority think Crystal won't start (the only pure PG on the team next season) in favor of Gabby and Azura. I thought that was interesting.

Reaction Score
Are you asking me the question? If you are- when I voted it was 4-4 -- Gabby and Azura vs Crytsal and Azura. Thus it meant early on 4 of the 1st 10 votes had Gabby not starting.

Which is totally absurd. Anyone who really thinks Gabby will come off the bench next year hasn't been watching the games AND/or listening to Geno afterwards very closely. This shouldn't even be a debate. Z,Lou and Pheesa are the number one, two,three picks for the 2019 draft, barring injury (not necessarily in that order) and Gabby and Kia are the acknowledged team leaders this season. Crystal will be a great point guard, but she will have to wait until Kia graduates before she becomes a starter. That's not terrible, by the way; having a small, lightning quick point guard coming off the bench to change the tempo of the game is a tremendous asset. Gabby not starting?! My goodness gracious. Z not starting?! Golly gee, Officer Krupke.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
wow Tuff question. CD needs to get experience with Chong gone and Kia a senior on her way out. I would think she needs the experience and so will Combs however Combs will be coming off the bench with Molly. Z and Batouly need to play they are really good but how do you not start them at 6'6 and 6'2. Z has a very good chance at being the NPOY over her final 2 seasons, again how do you not start her. Next question who do you sit. Gabby will be a senior and is a terrific all round player, a spark plug. Now you've got Walker Collier Espinoza Hunter Gordon and Combs. Maybe you enter the season with 2 teams and they both would be ranked in the top 4. ????????????

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It depends on what Geno's priorities are. If he wants the more experienced and versatile player on the floor to start, I would definitely say Azura.

On the other hand, Crystal is a true point guard. Kia is a great combo guard and more than capable of handling the point, but if he wants a true point guard to start the game, he'd go with Crystal.

To go further with the second: Red Auerbach, pretty much the inventor of the sixth man, said a sixth man needs to be someone who plays multiple positions -- if someone gets hurt, into foul trouble, or has just lost her brain, you want someone flexible coming in. Azura can play 2-4, 2-5 in the UConn system. So if Geno thinks like Red, he'd go with Crystal to start and Z first off the bench.

DOH -- cast the wrong vote and can't change it.

Reaction Score
Gabby has to be on the floor. Her athleticism lends itself to shock-and-awe to start the game on a quick run and put it out of reach in a hurry.

So it's Dangerfield or Stevens.

Dangerfield hasn't been very impressive this year and Stevens is the better overall player and more experienced, but a lineup of Nurse-Lou-Collier-Gabby-Stevens is pretty bereft of ball-handling.

I think Dangerfield gets the start, but all 6 of them get 25 mpg. Having Stevens and Walker as your 6th and 7th men is pretty ridiculous, plus Batouly, Butler, and this year's and next year's freshmen.

Geno's management of those personalities who all expect minutes might be a more difficult coaching job than what he's doing this year.

Reaction Score
Gabby has to be on the floor. Her athleticism lends itself to shock-and-awe to start the game on a quick run and put it out of reach in a hurry.

So it's Dangerfield or Stevens.

Dangerfield hasn't been very impressive this year and Stevens is the better overall player and more experienced, but a lineup of Nurse-Lou-Collier-Gabby-Stevens is pretty bereft of ball-handling.

I think Dangerfield gets the start, but all 6 of them get 25 mpg. Having Stevens and Walker as your 6th and 7th men is pretty ridiculous, plus Batouly, Butler, and this year's and next year's freshmen.

Geno's management of those personalities who all expect minutes might be a more difficult coaching job than what he's doing this year.

Bereft??????????????????????

Lou and Nurse are used right now to break the press.
Gabby came out of high school as a guard and handles the ball and passes the ball like a guard.
Lou is an excellent passer and can handle the ball and from what I understand Stevens can handle the ball very well.

So UCONN is going to risk another season of foul trouble from their bigs early on despite having 2 guards that can handle the ball and two players like Lou and Az that can handle the ball and Collier can handle the ball and instead to start the game they are going to have arguably their best come off the bench?

So UCONN has a serious problem with height right now and there have been games in which Collier or Gabby get into foul trouble because of it. So instead of cleaning up that problem easily, we want additional ball-handling in which we already have two guards that can handle the ball along with at least two others that can handle it well enough for wings?

Reaction Score
It depends on what Geno's priorities are. If he wants the more experienced and versatile player on the floor to start, I would definitely say Azura.

On the other hand, Crystal is a true point guard. Kia is a great combo guard and more than capable of handling the point, but if he wants a true point guard to start the game, he'd go with Crystal.

To go further with the second: Red Auerbach, pretty much the inventor of the sixth man, said a sixth man needs to be someone who plays multiple positions -- if someone gets hurt, into foul trouble, or has just lost her brain, you want someone flexible coming in. Azura can play 2-4, 2-5 in the UConn system. So if Geno thinks like Red, he'd go with Crystal to start and Z first off the bench.

DOH -- cast the wrong vote and can't change it.

I expect one of his top priorities will be to alleviate foul issues that he has to worry about all year of the combination of Gabby and Collier being forced to defend inside vs the real big teams. IMO that will be far more important rather than trying to emulate Red Auerbach.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
C'mon folks- this isn't even the offseason! :)

Though if we're having this discussion now, it's either a great thing or a troubling thing regarding prospects for this season.

Reaction Score
I think that Geno suggested that early this year, long before he's seen the progress that both Lou and Napheesa have made as this season progressed. The layoff from actual game conditions might have somewhat of an impact on AZ, at least initially. We shall see, come next season.

Could have been lighting a fire under Lou and/or Pheese. Could be pitching her to stay for 2 years too. Either way I think it's obvious Z starts regardless of comment because a dominate center is the only hole this team has although they have been great dealing with it.

Reaction Score
Geno will put the 5 best and most experienced players on the court to start the games like he always does. I'm pretty sure gabby will not be the one to jump ball when there's a 6'6" player that's a proven AA on the team.

Reaction Score
Given Crystal's uneven performances this season, I don't think she's a lock on the point guard position next year. She will have to contend with Espinoza-Hunter, Coombs, and Lexi Gordon. One of them could be the next Kia Nurse. No one is guaranteed either a starting position, or playing time.

Really up in the air.

Reaction Score
While I believe she has clearly earned the right to start, there is something to be said for Gabby coming off the bench...............the minute she touches the floor the entire team dynamic changes with her disruptive influence.........although I know it's unlikely, I would like to see Geno varying his starting five depending on the opponent next year to keep the other teams guessing and to keep everybody fully engaged

Reaction Score
While I believe she has clearly earned the right to start, there is something to be said for Gabby coming off the bench.....the minute she touches the floor the entire team dynamic changes with her disruptive influence....although I know it's unlikely, I would like to see Geno varying his starting five depending on the opponent next year to keep the other teams guessing and to keep everybody fully engaged

In what universe does Lawrence Taylor come off the bench?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I believe she has clearly earned the right to start, there is something to be said for Gabby coming off the bench.....the minute she touches the floor the entire team dynamic changes with her disruptive influence....although I know it's unlikely, I would like to see Geno varying his starting five depending on the opponent next year to keep the other teams guessing and to keep everybody fully engaged
I get having a player come off the bench to change the tempo of the game. The Celtics did it for years with John Havlicek. With that said, it is difficult for me to fathom a discussion that suggests Gabby coming off the bench.

One of the statistical metrics used in the NBA is the "plus/minus" measure. Essentially, it measures the point differential when a player is on the court vs when he is on the bench, equalized over 36 minutes per game. At present, Steph Curry leads the NBA in plus/minus at 13.1 pts/36 min, a full 1.5 pts in front of the next closest player.

I have no idea what Gabby's plus/minus is, but I would guess it is as high as anyone in WBB. With UConn's proclivity to bludgeon their opponents from the opening tip, why would the Huskies ever want to have their biggest impact player start the game on the bench?

Reaction Score
According to Geno, defense creates offense. If that is a given, then the kind of players on board next year makes UConn defense even more fearsome to opponents that they face. They can get called for fouls without worry. With the substitutions that they could make either giving the starters a legitimate rest or chair time for fouls, the UConn defense will never let up. Replacing Collier in the line up for a rest, with Batouly Comara won't change a thing and is a good example. Guards? Look at the talent that will be available. If these young people buy into the system, there will lot's of gold at the end of the rainbow. I think that every coach in America would want to have this problem.

Just a note, some coaches have had far greater talent on the floor and never have reached second base. That should say something. Rethink the tournament last year and see what happened.

Reaction Score
I get having a player come off the bench to change the tempo of the game. The Celtics did it for years with John Havlicek. With that said, it is difficult for me to fathom a discussion that suggests Gabby coming off the bench.

With UConn's proclivity to bludgeon their opponents from the opening tip, why would the Huskies ever want to have their biggest impact player start the game on the bench?

Exactly my point.............what other player on the roster can create such a dramatic shift in the game the minute she walks on the court...........Note that I said Geno might consider varying his starting line up............do you believe that UConn with be any less competitive against Memphis or any AAC team other then USF if Crystal or AS started that game and Gabby came in at the five minute mark? This would keep her fresh for the more difficult games and spread the minutes a bit for the rest of the team's sake..................as for Lawrence Taylor...........if the Giants had three Harry Carsons and three Carl Banks they might have given LT a few more quarters off......perhaps his knees would have held up for a season or two more then they did.............

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Note that I said Geno might consider varying his starting line up.do you believe that UConn with be in serious danger of loosing a game against Memphis or almost any AAC team if Crystal or AS started that game and Gabby came in at the five minute mark?
Geno has experimented with his lineup in the past. Last year in a game he sat the starters, including the Big 3, and started his 2nd 5.

I have no problem with Geno experimenting with his lineup vs Memphis or some of the other teams in the AAC, but when the Huskies play Baylor, MD, SC, ND or ____ (fill in the blank), I want Gabby to start and play every minute until the game is decided.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom