Poll - Which Conference Do You Favor for UConn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll - Which Conference Do You Favor for UConn?

Which conference do you favor the most for UConn to join?

• Big 12

Votes: 42 11.7%
  • SEC

Votes: 17 4.7%
  • Big 10

Votes: 142 39.6%
  • ACC

Votes: 93 25.9%
  • Big East

Votes: 60 16.7%
  • Other (name it below)

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters

sun

Reaction Score
A little reminder for those who want the ACC. First, the ACC's GOR is going to prohibit any new members because no one is leaving. The GOR expires in 2036. There are several ACC teams, Clemson, FSU, Miami, VT and others who want out now. They haven't figured out how to break the GOR. The financial penalties are way to big.

If and when the ACC breaks apart, Clemson and FSU will go to the SEC. Virginia and North Carolina will be grabbed by the B 10. That lines up good for Maryland. At this point, the ACC is a dead man walking.

So you want to wait for an ACC invite. You would pass up a Big 12 bid to wait 13 years for the ACC. Good luck with that. The Big 10 will not come calling.

The days of regional conferences are dead and gone.

If the Big 12 extends an invite, we go!!
According to an article by Fansided, because ESPN owns both the ACC & SEC networks, any TV money that for instance Clemson would forfeit in order to switch conferences could be negotiated in a back room deal with lawyers.
If ESPN wanted to support moving Clemson to the SEC, then they could reopen negotiations with the ACC to pay them off by increasing their TV money that they've been complaining about.
The point is that in theory it's not an impossibility if ESPN wants to rebrand the ACC & increase their TV payout in the process.
The ACC exit fee alone is $52 million. But the TV rights money that Clemson would forfeit until the agreement ends in 2036 is what would need to be negotiated.

That's also a concern about UConn joining the Big 12, just because their TV payout is high now doesn't mean it will remain as high after 2031 if ESPN determines that it's being overvalued at the expense of the ACC.
Then it could become too expensive for UConn to switch conferences once it joins the Big 12.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Big east is the best fit but financially cannot turn down an invite to Big 12.

Reaction Score
Soon we will have two conferences, The ESPN Conference & The Fox Conference.

In a way that's what we have now. Media money is the lifeblood of college sports. Money=control.

Reaction Score
Other: The first P5 conference to offer financial security - no other criteria, just BOLT!!!!!

Go Huskies!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I picked the SEC. Only because I would like to see UConn kick Tennessee butt at least 3 times a year. :D

Reaction Score
They need to go for the money and the BIG Ten is where the money is. UCONN men and women would have a national audience all the time on the BIG Ten Network and it would also help UCONN rebuild their football program. UCONN has the academics that the BIG Ten looks for so I don't think it too far out of the realm of possibility.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
They need to go for the money and the BIG Ten is where the money is. UCONN men and women would have a national audience all the time on the BIG Ten Network and it would also help UCONN rebuild their football program. UCONN has the academics that the BIG Ten looks for so I don't think it too far out of the realm of possibility.
The Big 10 doesn’t want UConn. They chose Rutgers to get NYC exposure so they don’t need UConn

Kat

Reaction Score
The UConn athletic department will choose the best deal, $$$-wise, but for the WBB team, staying put is best. They'll get all the national tv time anyway, as it is the premier program in women's hoops. Geno's schedule last year featured some of the best teams in the nation--he'll do it again. Nothing needs to change.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The Big 10 doesn’t want UConn. They chose Rutgers to get NYC exposure so they don’t need UConn
LOL, Right, and how is that going? Rutgers is the embarrassment of the BIG.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
They’re crying all the way to the bank
I don't really see any Northeast influence in the BIG. Maybe its time to try again with some University that has a national following. Rutgers has not provided the BIG an entrance to NYC like UConn has for the Big East and AAC. Just saying that the Rutgers experiment in the BIG has been a failure.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Well, it looks like the BIG12 dream is going away. Arizona, Arizona St, and Utah have been invited to the BIG12, while Oregon and Washington have decided to join the BIG. If you really want to stretch it, the PAC12 will be looking for new members. LOL. This whole thing is ruining college sports. So, it looks like we will remain in the BIG East. So be it.

Reaction Score
Well, it looks like the BIG12 dream is going away. Arizona, Arizona St, and Utah have been invited to the BIG12, while Oregon and Washington have decided to join the BIG. If you really want to stretch it, the PAC12 will be looking for new members. LOL. This whole thing is ruining college sports. So, it looks like we will remain in the BIG East. So be it.
The writing has been on the wall for a while with regard to Super Conference alignments. I am really surprised though that the PAC12 wasn't one of the ones that lost out on this trend. They really made a mistake by not scheduling their games, particularly football, for the national (eastern) audience. Too many games were played at night which removed almost half the viewing audience.

As far as UCONN is concerned I think they still have opportunities out there. The SEC is going to expand based on football so that would leave UCONN out for a while but the Big Ten and Big 12 both have a great basketball tradition which does fit what UCONN would bring to the table. Three weeks ago I would have laughed if you said Oregon and Washington would be in the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
At the rate things are unfolding, the choices will be either the SEC or the Big 10.

Reaction Score
I don't know. When the Big Ten added Rutgers the Big East was still a powerful conference so I don't think UCONN was interested in moving either. Rutgers does give you New York and New Jersey which seems to be a good recruiting ground for football but UCONN brings an audience for Basketball which the Big Ten needs more right now. If the Big Ten picks up Stanford then you might see another school like UCONN in the mix.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't know. When the Big Ten added Rutgers the Big East was still a powerful conference so I don't think UCONN was interested in moving either. Rutgers does give you New York and New Jersey which seems to be a good recruiting ground for football but UCONN brings an audience for Basketball which the Big Ten needs more right now. If the Big Ten picks up Stanford then you might see another school like UCONN in the mix.
No, UConn is not an AAU approved research institution. All Big 10 schools are

Reaction Score
Bottom line - Staying in the Big East would put us behind other peer schools financially. The big money is in football, and that trend wont end anytime soon. Ultimately, Geno retires, Hurley leaves for greener pastures, we start losing recruits, etc. It becomes a negative virtuous cycle and 10 years we'll be saying - How did we end up in this place?!

Reaction Score
The writing has been on the wall for a while with regard to Super Conference alignments. I am really surprised though that the PAC12 wasn't one of the ones that lost out on this trend. They really made a mistake by not scheduling their games, particularly football, for the national (eastern) audience. Too many games were played at night which removed almost half the viewing audience.

As far as UCONN is concerned I think they still have opportunities out there. The SEC is going to expand based on football so that would leave UCONN out for a while but the Big Ten and Big 12 both have a great basketball tradition which does fit what UCONN would bring to the table. Three weeks ago I would have laughed if you said Oregon and Washington would be in the Big Ten.
That perception could change in just a couple months depending on how Mora’s team does this Fall. If they go 9-2 then…………

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn has a good reputation as an academic and research institution. I'm sure formal accreditation could be accomplished very easily.

Not really

HOW TO BECOME A MEMBER

Membership in the AAU is by invitation only, and a Membership Committee evaluates non-members and current members for invitation status periodically.

In order for schools to be considered, the universities have to pass two phases of indicators, with requirements ranging from memberships in national academies such as the National Academies of Science and Engineering and the number of research and scholarship Ph.D’s approved every year.

sun

Reaction Score
The Pac12 & Mountain West could merge for 2 reasons.
One is to inherit the payouts that the Pac12 already receives.
And the other reason is because the Mountain West TV contract has a renegotiation clause built into it (with Fox & CBS) in case the league expands or contracts.
If Stanford or Cal doesn't want to join in with a merger then they can go independent in football until a better offer comes along.
The new merged conference may be able to lure Gonzaga in too.

Could Mountain West and Pac-12 merge into a single, 16-team conference?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Big10 (er, 15) is interestingly competitive and won’t require a whole lot more travel than we already face. Our football team will be a bottom feeder there, but our basketball teams will dominate.
our football team will be a bottom feeder almost anywhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom