POLL: some updated rosters and the dreaded "eye test" | The Boneyard

POLL: some updated rosters and the dreaded "eye test"

Which of these rosters looks the best on the eye test?

• Notre Dame

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • Texas

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Stanford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UConn

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other

Votes: 19 24.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
These rosters are already online:

Notre Dame's Roster

Texas's Roster

Stanford's Roster

This roster, meanwhile, isn't posted online but can be projected:

Saniya Chong
Natalie Butler
Gabby Williams
Kia Nurse
Katie Lou Samuelson
Napheesa Collier
Crystal Dangerfield
Molly Bent
Kayla Irwin

Given all of the above, which of these rosters passes the eye test with the highest-flying colors? Will we see five NCs in a row for UConn, or the first since at least 2001, if not before, for someone else?

Reaction Score
These rosters are already online:

Notre Dame's Roster

Texas's Roster

Stanford's Roster

This roster, meanwhile, isn't posted online but can be projected:

Saniya Chong
Natalie Butler
Gabby Williams
Kia Nurse
Katie Lou Samuelson
Napheesa Collier
Crystal Dangerfield
Molly Bent
Kayla Irwin

Given all of the above, which of these rosters passes the eye test with the highest-flying colors? Will we see five NCs in a row for UConn, or the first since at least 2001, if not before, for someone else?
Didn't you forget Tierney Lawlor?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting choice for rosters included - I would have included Baylor and SC and probably left Stanford off.
I voted for ND because I think they have the best PG as well as a good mix of upperclassmen and sophomores - I think most of the other rosters are depending too much on freshman and sophomores. That can work if they are exceptional, but I don't think they are.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Well I think Canada will give her a run for her money, if she passes a little more this year and hopefully our underclass have matured. I don't think ND has the playable height to be considered above a lot of teams. I think there are a lot of teams that could go either way on any given day.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I definitely am interested to see what Texas can accomplish this season. They return the core of the squad that made the E8 (minus Imani Boyette, of course). Some of the kids returning may make big leaps forward (Higgs, Hosey, Atkins) plus there are two very highly-regarded incoming frosh. I understand why ND is winning this poll so far, but Texas may just be ready. The national semis seem attainable...

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I definitely am interested to see what Texas can accomplish this season. They return the core of the squad that made the E8 (minus Imani Boyette, of course). Some of the kids returning may make big leaps forward (Higgs, Hosey, Atkins) plus there are two very highly-regarded incoming frosh. I understand why ND is winning this poll so far, but Texas may just be ready. The national semis seem attainable...

The loss of Boyette is bigger than you think. Couldn't resist. But seriously, she allowed the Texas players to completely over play on D, they won't get away with that any more and she demanded a double team which left others wide open.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
You haven't listed South Carolina. But I'd be willing to say that the overall talent is very strong at Ohio State, Baylor, Notre Dame, and South Carolina.

You know, Connecticut does have off-years. It does happen. This could be one of them. Just look at the size of the front courts for Ohio State and Baylor. And consider that South Carolina still has A'ja Wilson.

Connecticut simply cannot match up in the front court. We don't have the size.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
If I was doing the scout for SC, I would simply pack in the paint! Same with Baylor with a switching long player on Jones who likes to jack em up. Not enough balls at Ohio St.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
You haven't listed South Carolina. But I'd be willing to say that the overall talent is very strong at Ohio State, Baylor, Notre Dame, and South Carolina.

You know, Connecticut does have off-years. It does happen. This could be one of them. Just look at the size of the front courts for Ohio State and Baylor. And consider that South Carolina still has A'ja Wilson.

Connecticut simply cannot match up in the front court. We don't have the size.

Geno and Co. have a way of making up for a size disadvantage... e.g. Kelly Farris... 5'11"... played post her Junior year, we didn't win a NC, but we competed. Morgan Tuck... 6'2"... often went against the center for opposing teams and made a difference... Height doesn't mean everything, especially if you don't know how to use it... Geno and Co. will have them ready, it'll be a learning curve... but at the end of the day, they will be ready...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Interesting choice for rosters included - I would have included Baylor and SC and probably left Stanford off.
I voted for ND because I think they have the best PG as well as a good mix of upperclassmen and sophomores - I think most of the other rosters are depending too much on freshman and sophomores. That can work if they are exceptional, but I don't think they are.

I was thinking the same thing about Stanford. How did they get in there?

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing about Stanford. How did they get in there?
So was the Sweet 16 game vs. notre dame a fluke? The best big on the floor played for Stanford and they return everyone.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
So was the Sweet 16 game vs. notre dame a fluke? The best big on the floor played for Stanford and they return everyone.

Didn't they lose one of their best guards because she decided not to play anymore?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
ND does look good on paper, but there are a number of things I'll be keeping track of:
- How well will Erin Boley rebound? She'll be part of the forward rotation with Turner and Westbeld and will have to play big. She showed the gumption and effort in the all-star games (she's not Lauren Cox but she bangs and goes after the ball well). Hope it translates to this level well. Coco Nelson was improving last year and hope that continues into her senior year.
She's not Reimer, but you play what you have.
- With extended minutes, will Arike Ogunbowale and Marina Mabrey continue to improve? Both of them played more minutes than one would've thought as freshmen and acquitted themselves pretty darn well. Need to see the curve continue upwards.
- Will Ali Patberg come back from her ACL injury? And, if so, what will she bring to the mix, not just backing up, but possibly working with Allen?
- And -- once again -- how much (and how quickly) will Boley and Jackie Young help? Expecting and hoping for a lot, but frosh are still frosh.

In the ACC, Louisville looks very good on paper, but I once again go back to the mix there: are there enough balls on the court at crunch time?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Eye test? I voted other! Baylor and South Carolina should be good (eye test) and Ohio State has to be in the mix. The team on paper versus the one on the floor can be complete opposite. Should be a great season.

So I'm going with Baylor although both Baylor and South Carolina will need to find PGs. Baylor has the edge with Jones but I like her off the ball better.

Reaction Score
I voted other.
TENN looks good in my eyes for a sweet 16 defeat.
Passes smell test as well.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Eye test? I voted other! Baylor and South Carolina should be good (eye test) and Ohio State has to be in the mix. The team on paper versus the one on the floor can be complete opposite. Should be a great season.

So I'm going with Baylor although both Baylor and South Carolina will need to find PGs. Baylor has the edge with Jones but I like her off the ball better.

I personally like Jones running the PG better....... she's a good SG..... but can be a great PG

Reaction Score
Yet again (yawn!), ND will be the best team in the country not named UConn. There are some big questions concerning them...mainly involving whether they can keep Turner healthy and their lack of size in the post...but they will have, as will UConn, the traditional ingredients that make them so tough. Lots of folks on our forum seem to like to trash Muffett, but there's only one other coach in the country that so successfully manages to instill the warrior mentality in his players that makes them so hard to beat. What looks good on paper is one thing. The will to win, and knowing how to win...that's another. Remember last year's road game vs. SC? Very few teams looked better on paper than the Gamecocks. But their body language after just one quarter made it clear that Dawn has yet to find that non-intimidation formula for her players. Same for most coaches in the women's game, a reality that tends to invalidate a simple eye test!

Reaction Score
ND looks the best on paper with a top PG (Allen), top post (Turner), great guards and wings and the 2nd best coach in WBB, This should be the year that they win it all but if not than SC or Baylor should be considered and than Texas. As much as I love the players on our team it will be a great achievement if they make the Final 4 this coming season (there is nothing I'd like more as the Final 4 is in Dallas this season) for the reasons mentioned before (lack of height)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom