• Other- indicate who in the thread

Votes: 22 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
(obviously, UConn has been blessed with the succession of great players it's had, but this seemed like a fun discussion)

This is simple enough: play a "what-if" game by thinking of the players Geno could have had from 1985-86 on, and pick one to have played for UConn. As the "what if EDD had played for UConn?" discussion has been done to death, I'm not going to encourage a repeat of it. Rather, just think about the players UConn had at different points during Geno's tenure in Storrs. Who would have been a perfect complement? Alternatively, who was so good that it almost doesn't matter who else Geno would have had at a given point in time?

I picked six players with championship credentials OR who were clearly a potential missing piece for UConn during the eras in which they played. I also provided an "other" option, as Lisa Leslie is one of a handful of glaring omissions (Clarissa Davis, Daedre Charles, etc.).

Who would you most like to have? The six included in the poll:

Bridgette Gordon- best player on two NC-winning teams (1987 and 1989), would have co-starred with Kerry Bascom for at least a couple of years.

Sheryl Swoopes- I mean, come on; have you ever watched the 1993 NC game?

Chamique Holdsclaw- After UConn won its first NC, the LVs won the next three with Chamique. And she was from CTK, too! It took five years for UConn to win #2; imagine how soon after 1995 UConn would've done so.

Candace Parker- yes, another LV, but she's an obvious choice. No, you don't have to vote for her...

Skylar Diggins. UConn won NCs in Skylar's freshman and senior campaigns, but she would certainly have been a missing piece in 2011 and 2012.

Brittney Griner- UConn would be sitting at 235 consecutive games won with her. That much is clear.

Voting is above- discussion is below!

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
All good choices. I think for me it's not so much who would have been the most fun to watch at UCONN, but who could have brought the most NC's while at UCONN. UCONN didn't win #1 until 1995 so i'm not sure Gordon or Swoopes would have made a difference I had to go with Holdsclaw - if she could have helped UCONN win 2 or 3 more, that would have been pretty cool!

Catchings would have been my 2nd choice.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Prolly Parker. Think how good she would have been with Geno pushing her. Also she would have come in right around the time we were lost in the wilderness, 2005-2008, after DT left and before Charles and Moore took over. She would have been the bridge. Not only helping UCONN win more titles, but more importantly denying TN. The legacy wouldn't have been broken.

TASSK to DT to Parker to Charles to Moore to Stewart to ???

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Catchings - because Geno has indicated on numerour occasions that she is the one he most would have liked to coach in college.

And if I'm not mistaken, Maya idolized her growing up.

Good enough reasons for me to vote Catch to the top spot in this thread :)

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Catchings ..
Agreed... She's the one player that I've always wished we had had on our team. Imagine just how bad for the game UConn could've been if she had played for Geno. Still, I loved her game, diminished as it must have been by all of that orange.

Boo

HGN

Reaction Score
Griner.........4+years ago ; And Aja' Wilson today. Griner was a game changer. And could have won 4 NC's at UConn in my opinion.

Put Aja' Wilson on this years team (with Stewie) and you have another 2 straight NC's .....at least.

Reaction Score
I picked Skylar.....it's possible UConn would have went six in a row.

Reaction Score
What about that Jackie Germoles or whatever her last name was out of Cali.... But in all seriousness.... the player I would have love to have landed at UCONN is Chiney. I think had Chiney been with us we could have kept going.... and going... and going....

Reaction Score
Catchings ..
I read the first post and decided to mention Tamika, not realizing you had already had mentioned her. She is one fantastic player and reputedly just as fantastic a person and leader. She was Maya before Maya, from what I've heard.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Given that Swoopes would have overlapped with Bascom and Lobo, she's my pick. Maybe UConn wins NCs in 1991 and 1993. Can you imagine what that might have done for the program???

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Kristi Toliver :oops:
Is your real name Alison Bales? (can't help it, I'm a Terp) If Kristi stays healthy and can be a little more consistent, she could be a real star. She is understated and does not get the attention she deserves, in my biased opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom