Poll: Part of the Game or Cheap Shot - Louisville vs BYU | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Poll: Part of the Game or Cheap Shot - Louisville vs BYU

Part of the Game or Cheap Shot

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So you're suggesting "an eye for an eye" resulting in a possible serious injury to a player who may have had noting to do with the cheap shot is the way to respond? Sorry, can't agree with that.
Usually I suggest 2 eyes for an eye, but that's just me.

When you attempt to injure a player, you should know that you put yourself and your teamates in peril. If THAT doesn't persuade you to put an end to your antics, you're teamates will.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do remember the old NBA when guards rarely went into the paint - for the simple reason that players like Russell and Chamberlain didn't like them to. The first time they did it in a game it was a surprise and they might score, second time, they would be lucky not to have an ambulance ride home. And the refs would basically look at the little guy on the floor and say ... probably shouldn't do that again. Then salaries got big and the 'stars' had to be protected and the enforcing sort of disappeared.

Uconn has always had a pretty strong physical presence, and a few blind side jarring screens can certainly suggest to opponents that 'getting overly physical' might not be a good idea. And there aren't a lot of games Uconn plays most years that are close enough, long enough to make 'physical play' a viable option. But a lot really does depend on the refs being somewhat competent - and that is not something one can count on in the women's game.

Reaction Score
:rolleyes: Good gosh. I guess thugs mean different things in different parts of the country.
I guess. Way back when, I got majorly scolded on the BY for using the T- word (for Rutgers, and their coach). I guess there are racist connotations (re. Richard Sherman). I always think of Frank Nitty when I hear the word.

Reaction Score
Why does the lousy officiating over this play surprise you? They've been incompetent for years! There are NO good WBB refs! The worst officiated sport in the USA! Late in the Duke/Miss St. game today there was a foul called against the defense that was an obvious pushing off by the offense that changed the momentum of the MSU come back! Even the "suits" said it was a lousy/terrible call!
But Dominique Dillingham was called for a blocking foul with 1:02 left, and coach Vic Schaefer received a technical foul for arguing that Greenwell should have been whistled for using her forearm, and had to be restrained by two of his assistant After Greenwell hit 3 of 4 free throws, Mississippi State never got closer than eight in the final minutes.

Last edited:

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Have to agree on the officiating comments. Perhaps they pay 1/10 of what refs for MCBB get? I was at today's spirited Texas-Cal game and couldn't believe how many times 40 Kelsey Lang was elbowing the other players but not called. Watch out, UConn or maybe just tap her funny bone?

Reaction Score
Its become comical to watch these refs referee these games throughout the years. Its like every year the refs get worse!
I really really really wish there was something that could be done about it. If us fans see it and get angry over it, I could only imagine how the coaches must feel.
The refs have so much power to dictate how a game is going to be played, and to see them make horrible calls time after time is extremely frustrating.

Reaction Score
It was a dirty play, but Moore is not a dirty player nor is Louisville a dirty team nor is Walz a dirty coach. Some responses to this thread are careful not to collapse all of these things into one another. While some responses use a single play to vilify an entire program.

One isolated play would not be enough to define anything. But being from this players neck of the woods and having seen her play more than a few times I am actually surprised that this hasn't surfaced earlier. For some strange reason she was allowed to get away with similar antics in high school which would have gotten most players ejected from games. Perhaps because she was a really really good player. She is an amazingly talented player who doesn't need to play this way. Shame on those that encourage this type of play and officials that reinforce this behavior by not making the right calls. No surprise to me that she ended up at Louisville. Just too much information points to the fact that Waltz encourage's this type of play. A lot of basketball fans feel he is a good XX's and OO's coach, but I have little respect for the guy. If you want to be a tough guy go out and get in fights yourself but don't use girls to do it for you.

Reaction Score
FWIW, the rotated shoulder is a pretty common aggressive move for people screening or impeding players cutting through the paint. Mariya put way too much ooomph into it to get away with it, and I suspect that's what Walz thought was stupid when the idea is just to clog the cutting lanes. This particular shot was so effective because the BYU player was running through the forest with her head lowered...something she'll learn to think twice about in future. I'm willing to give Mariya the benefit of the doubt that she didn't target the jaw, and that's where I draw a distinction between a punch and even a well-placed forearm, that invariably target something. Given the damage done, a few forearms thrown in response should settle the issue.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Maybe that's what Stewart struggles with, attacks. I'm sure it can be distracting to a player if they are being hunted.

Stewart does play better when she moves around the court constantly, to not let the opposition get to double team her.

As soon as she stops moving she tends to get roughed up.

Griner wouldn't move around the court as much, so she took the hits.

Now in the WNBA, Griner is constantly moving to get the opponent off their defensive plans to rough her up, then again DT is probably yelling at her to move and attack.

Love her leadership.

Thanks. Great Griner posts.

Reaction Score
FWIW, the rotated shoulder is a pretty common aggressive move for people screening or impeding players cutting through the paint. Mariya put way too much ooomph into it to get away with it, and I suspect that's what Walz thought was stupid when the idea is just to clog the cutting lanes. This particular shot was so effective because the BYU player was running through the forest with her head lowered...something she'll learn to think twice about in future. I'm willing to give Mariya the benefit of the doubt that she didn't target the jaw, and that's where I draw a distinction between a punch and even a well-placed forearm, that invariably target something. Given the damage done, a few forearms thrown in response should settle the issue.

She targeted the head. A smaller player running through the lane - her action of ramming the opposing player in the head was defiinitely on purpose. She was head-hunting. Just because rotating shoulder is common doesn't mean you can't head-hunt. She head-hunted.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
UCONN has had it's share of "tough" girls too. Though not as many lately. I remember Shea flattening a girl with a forearm crosscheck. (Granted the girl deserved it, from a prior play. ) Shea got the technical and we moved on.

I just wonder why many on here are not complaining as adamantly about the BYU girls thrown elbow?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As to being part of the game or a cheap shot. It was both. Definitely a cheap shot but when you are playing on the court you need to be prepared and to protect yourself at all times. If you don't you can get taken out in one small shot like that and it costs your team a player. Maybe a key player. Her teammate should have been calling out the pick to help protect her.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As to being part of the game or a cheap shot. It was both. Definitely a cheap shot but when you are playing on the court you need to be prepared and to protect yourself at all times. If you don't you can get taken out in one small shot like that and it costs your team a player. Maybe a key player. Her teammate should have been calling out the pick to help protect her.
That wasn't a pick. She was guarding the player at the time. Just wasn't letting her cut across the lane. (and sending a message)

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I will add as a martial artist I would take issue with the rule as written...regarding the throwing of a punch or a forearm. Their are 108 weapons between the shoulders and the fingertips of ones hand. The shoulder strike is an actual martial arts strike used in Tai Chi, Kung and Karate. The video clearly shows that the use of Moore's shoulder was intentional... The result of the strike is undeniable.

Reaction Score
It is hard to believe that this shoulder face smash was not intentional ... I watched in over and over again and it looks calculated ... a learned response ... so I believe this not to be an accident ... a serious punitive response by the coach and NCAA is in order ...

Reaction Score
Its become comical to watch these refs referee these games throughout the years. Its like every year the refs get worse!
I really really really wish there was something that could be done about it. If us fans see it and get angry over it, I could only imagine how the coaches must feel.
The refs have so much power to dictate how a game is going to be played, and to see them make horrible calls time after time is extremely frustrating.

AnotherVolFan- - - The main reason for the continued incompetence is the supervisors for each conference are ex-refs from that conference so they are grading their buddies they reffed with for 20+ years! They need ex NBA refs with no ties to supervise!

Reaction Score
She targeted the head. A smaller player running through the lane - her action of ramming the opposing player in the head was defiinitely on purpose. She was head-hunting. Just because rotating shoulder is common doesn't mean you can't head-hunt. She head-hunted.
My mind-reading capabilities are deteriorating with age, so I give the benefit of the doubt when I don't know the player. You may be right, but if Mariya tries to make a living doing that she is going to take some hard shots in the paint herself...another reason that would be dumb...

Reaction Score
I will add as a martial artist I would take issue with the rule as written...regarding the throwing of a punch or a forearm. Their are 108 weapons between the shoulders and the fingertips of ones hand. The shoulder strike is an actual martial arts strike used in Tai Chi, Kung and Karate. The video clearly shows that the use of Moore's shoulder was intentional... The result of the strike is undeniable.

.....at least we know the team hasn't trained in martial arts to learn those moves......oh wait....

http://www.thecardinalconnect.com/t...-mixed-martial-arts-in-their-summer-workouts/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom